C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what is the best way to install wiper door for 68 to 72?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 02:59 PM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Received 568 Likes on 445 Posts

Default what is the best way to install wiper door for 68 to 72?

What is the best way to install the wiper door for a 72?

I left the mechanism in and installed the 4 small shoulder bolts from underneath. Finally got all 4 in after teaching the neighborhood kids some more new words that hopefully Mom never hears repeated

Anyway I am now thinking taking the whole mechanism out is likely easier or there has to be an easier way or maybe this is just another C3 job full of joy???

Suggestions?

Thanks.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:25 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi 20m,
I believe a good way to do it is to install the doors mechanical mechanism to the firewall with the door in place. The bolts should be just tight enough that it can be moved with a bit of pressure.
Then use the stops on the mechanism to set the door where you want it to be relative to the windshield. The stops are at the end of the mechanism
Then install the grill loosely and put rubber shims at each end of the door/grill.
With the door centered between the fenders and the grill position properly relative to the hood and door tighten the door mechanism screws. Also install the 2 clips at the ends of the mechanism that mount to the cowl and stop the mechanism from moving side to side. Tighten the screws on the firewall mounts and the cowl clips.
Then close the hood and check the 'arc' of the hood to the 'arc of the grill and shim under the grill screws to curve it to match the hood.
All this isn't easy but doable with patience.
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan

Here is the white nylon bumper that the adjustable stop on the door mechanism seats against, and to the lower left the clip that mounts on the firewall and stops the side to side movement of the door and grill.

Stop and clip.

Last edited by Alan 71; 09-02-2014 at 03:47 PM.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:46 PM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Default Much thanks!

Much Thanks Alan, appreciate the advice!

(Your Corvette always looks super and super clean too! )
Old 09-02-2014, 05:00 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

The trick to that wiper door is really simple, I did it almost 20 years ago....what you do is cut a screw driver slot in the end of the 4 bolts that attach the door to the levers.....hold the screws/bolts in place with one hand insert a small 1/8" blade screwdriver through the hole to then turn counterclockwise and to spin the bolts home.....NOW do not tighten them down with any silly wrench.....instead, take some RTV black from Permatex, and dab the ends so the bolts don't spin out again.....

simple as hell.....

In FACT I don't even use OEM shoulder bolts, just ordinary bolts of correct length, which is the way I bought the car, works fine for some 25? years as a DD......

Old 09-02-2014, 07:39 PM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Default Cool!!

Originally Posted by mrvette
The trick to that wiper door is really simple, I did it almost 20 years ago....what you do is cut a screw driver slot in the end of the 4 bolts that attach the door to the levers.....hold the screws/bolts in place with one hand insert a small 1/8" blade screwdriver through the hole to then turn counterclockwise and to spin the bolts home.....NOW do not tighten them down with any silly wrench.....instead, take some RTV black from Permatex, and dab the ends so the bolts don't spin out again.....

simple as hell.....

In FACT I don't even use OEM shoulder bolts, just ordinary bolts of correct length, which is the way I bought the car, works fine for some 25? years as a DD......

Way cool idea!!!

Definitely, thinking outside the box!

Get notified of new replies

To what is the best way to install wiper door for 68 to 72?

Quick Reply: what is the best way to install wiper door for 68 to 72?