C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody using Wilwood Brake Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 11:40 AM
0Todd TCE
Former Vendor

Received 110 Likes on 90 Posts

I'm really sorry guys...obviously I'm not trying to mislead you. Only using the tools at hand to show you the whys and hows. Having the wrong tool doesn't help.

I did post the info and image on the Wilwood facebook page tho in hopes of helping others.

After all that I sure hope someone doesn't come and show me the car is FS!
Old 09-08-2014, 05:37 PM
Kid Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd TCE
Would if I still lived in Salinas...but that was some time ago now!

Shoot me a pm with you address and I'll send you some brake fluid to help out.
PM sent. Ignatz and I aren't too far apart. Sure you don't want to make a trip to CA and swap some calipers? There's probably a few more in this area. It could be a "Caliper Swapping for Beer Tour" like the tours Lars used to do.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:17 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 767 Likes on 549 Posts

I'm really sorry guys...obviously I'm not trying to mislead you. Only using the tools at hand to show you the whys and hows. Having the wrong tool doesn't help.

I did post the info and image on the Wilwood facebook page tho in hopes of helping others.

After all that I sure hope someone doesn't come and show me the car is FS!
Please feel free to check the accuracy of post#27.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:30 PM
0Todd TCE
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 69427
Please feel free to check the accuracy of post#27.
Catching up here, what's the question of accuracy now?
Old 09-12-2014, 12:25 AM
waljr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here's a pick of the back of one of my D8-6 calipers. The arrow shows the correct rotation, ie big piston trailing.

The following users liked this post:
carriljc (07-12-2017)
Old 09-12-2014, 12:53 AM
Kid Vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by waljr
here's a pick of the back of one of my D8-6 calipers. The arrow shows the correct rotation, ie big piston trailing.
And what do your instructions say?
Old 09-12-2014, 07:16 AM
waljr
Racer

Originally Posted by Kid Vette
And what do your instructions say?
bugger all.
Same picture as post #22, absolutely no mention of piston orientation & a later picture (Figure 2.) looks like the caliper is offset slightly.
Old 09-12-2014, 01:24 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,116 Likes on 726 Posts

Am reluctant to change back, at least for a while. What is the downside here?

- Uneven wear
- Reduction of grip at the track
- might be a little grabbier?

with regard to the last, I was a little surprised at locking up my fronts at an autoX. Could the larger piston at the leading edge be creating a self-energizing effect?
Old 09-12-2014, 02:36 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by ignatz
with regard to the last, I was a little surprised at locking up my fronts at an autoX.
The fronts are supposed to lock up first. If the rears lock before the fronts you'll spin the car.
Old 09-12-2014, 03:06 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 767 Likes on 549 Posts

Catching up here, what's the question of accuracy now?
You still seem unconvinced that C3s are rear steer.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:10 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by zwede
The fronts are supposed to lock up first. If the rears lock before the fronts you'll spin the car.
My conjecture is that the larger piston in the leading position pushes the front of the pad down harder leading to earlier binding. Just saying it seemed different when I switched to the illustration.
Old 09-13-2014, 06:02 PM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Cliff the main reason for the different piston diameters is to prevent tapering of the friction material on the pads ( reasoning behind this, as friction material heats up it should have more grip until it reaches maximum temprature so the leading edge of the pad runs cooler than the trailing edge, by changing piston sizes, it reduces pressure on the hotter part of the pad.) You will see even more taper wear on your pads with the piston orientation reversed, there also might be a difference in the brake balance. Stock C2/3 Vettes tend to lock up their front brakes on extreme use, your front brake bias might actually be a little worse. In normal street driving, probably no difference, in panic stop situation....earlier front lock up giving loss of directional stability.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:29 AM
waljr
Racer

all the d8-6 caliper boxes are label left or right as well.

The supplied bolts were to long unless used with the supplied washer + a spring washer.
My front calipers were centered perfectly, the rears were slightly offset.

Last edited by waljr; 10-14-2014 at 05:24 AM. Reason: added d8-6 and bolt reference
Old 10-13-2014, 11:10 AM
0Todd TCE
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 69427
You still seem unconvinced that C3s are rear steer.

No sir. I did bring it to their attention and you may see the graphic change in time. 'Course with that stuff...could be quite a bit of time!
Old 10-24-2014, 10:15 AM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Finally started install yesterday. So far it has been a breeze. I initially bleed using a vacuum pump and mason jar, then I do a final bleed by pressurizing the master cylinder. The pads are not exactly centered in the rear caliper, about 0.03" off. The part I am a little concerned about are the bleed instructions that say for some installations (not mine I hope), the caliper needs to be rotated to the vertical position to remove all the air. I saw this after I installed the caliper. The line length and design will not allow for rotation. The caliper would need to be completely removed and wood blocks inserted between the pads for that to work.

I think what I will do on the other side is loosely mount the caliper, bleed then remove and bleed with it in the vertical and see if any additional air comes out. If it does, I will remove the other side and re-bleed. Pedal feels good however.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:59 PM
0Todd TCE
Former Vendor

Only the rear calipers, if top mounted, will need to be removed. Or at least in some sort of vertical manner placing the bleeder nipple at the highest point.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:05 PM
Kid Vette
Melting Slicks

Only the rear calipers, if top mounted, will need to be removed. Or at least in some sort of vertical manner placing the bleeder nipple at the highest point.
That's really handy when you also have to shim the calipers. I superglued the shims to the calipers. Truly an engineering marvel. And not in a good way.

Get notified of new replies

To Anybody using Wilwood Brake Upgrade?

Old 10-25-2014, 11:58 AM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Would this be considered top mounted? I also included a pic of the rig I use to pressurized the master. So simple it is stupid.
Attached Images   
Old 10-25-2014, 12:18 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

There is potentially a little air in the piston under the 'd' in Wilwood. The lower the trailing arm and the higher the front of the car helps I suppose. And rotating the caliper some. I didn't bother, my brakes are close to excellent pedal but possibly this is where the last bit of air resides.

Last edited by ignatz; 10-25-2014 at 12:53 PM. Reason: pressurization
Old 10-25-2014, 01:57 PM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ignatz
There is potentially a little air in the piston under the 'd' in Wilwood. The lower the trailing arm and the higher the front of the car helps I suppose. And rotating the caliper some. I didn't bother, my brakes are close to excellent pedal but possibly this is where the last bit of air resides.

I will pull it and check, I will also add some washers to center it better. I will let you know. Between5 and 10 psi. I slowly increase pressure via a regulator until the brakes start to clamp down. You may have to stroke the pedal to pressurize the lines. Works like a dream. Just need to keep an eye on level. Vacuum works fine for getting bulk of fluid through system. I put a couple of small holes in small bottle of dot4 and turn it upside down in reservoir while I do that part. The only reason why I finish using pressure is the vacuum method pulls air in from around bleed screw so it is impossible to know when all the air is out. I think they sell a special bleed screw for that bit never had much luck with them.

Last edited by KJL; 10-25-2014 at 04:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Anybody using Wilwood Brake Upgrade?