C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1978 Pace Car Air conditioning Compressor

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 02:06 PM
vetterio
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 1978 Pace Car Air conditioning Compressor

Hello,

I wonder if anyone has replaced the original air conditioning compressor AC Delco # 15-21764 by this other AC Delco # 15-20206. I asked a friend to buy this original compressor for me and he bought this other one. There are some external differences between them, the original has 5 bolts along the belt pulley, and this second not. Does anyone have any tips?

Regards,

Rick
Old 09-07-2014, 05:41 PM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

When you say 5 bolts along the pulley, are you talking about the electric clutch that engages the compressor?
Many aftermarket or refurbished parts warehouses will use newer parts with retrofitted adapters. Try and stay away from this. If it's just the comp. clutch it shouldn't be a problem. It's when you start using adapters on the lines and pigtails on the wires when you run into trouble.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:01 AM
vetterio
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hugie82
When you say 5 bolts along the pulley, are you talking about the electric clutch that engages the compressor?
Many aftermarket or refurbished parts warehouses will use newer parts with retrofitted adapters. Try and stay away from this. If it's just the comp. clutch it shouldn't be a problem. It's when you start using adapters on the lines and pigtails on the wires when you run into trouble.
Thanks for the info. The two compressors I mentioned are original AC Delco. They are similar and differ only in the existence of the bolts.

Get notified of new replies

To 1978 Pace Car Air conditioning Compressor

Quick Reply: 1978 Pace Car Air conditioning Compressor