C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

76 a/c

Old 09-08-2014, 12:11 PM
hgoodwiniii
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Default 76 a/c

Hi all, I am getting a really weak flow of air through my air vents on my 76. I checked the A/C fan motor and it seems to be running just fine; Any ideas what could be the cause? Thanks.
Old 09-08-2014, 12:55 PM
Kris Tunetso
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you made sure all the duct work is fully connected in the dash? I've noticed sometimes the ducts don't fully connect, causing air leaks and low pressure.

Also, you might pull the blower motor and, somehow, vacuum out the airbox: often it's full of leaves and other debris, inhibiting airflow through the system. See this thread.

Lastly, once all that is clean and in good working order, swapping the blower motor for one from a C4 is a common mod for stronger airflow. You'll have to fab a spacer for it, but there are multiple threads here about it. Here's a recent one.

Good Luck.

Last edited by Kris Tunetso; 09-08-2014 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Added links.
Old 09-09-2014, 10:48 PM
hgoodwiniii
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Kris Tunetso
Have you made sure all the duct work is fully connected in the dash? I've noticed sometimes the ducts don't fully connect, causing air leaks and low pressure.

Also, you might pull the blower motor and, somehow, vacuum out the airbox: often it's full of leaves and other debris, inhibiting airflow through the system. See this thread.

Lastly, once all that is clean and in good working order, swapping the blower motor for one from a C4 is a common mod for stronger airflow. You'll have to fab a spacer for it, but there are multiple threads here about it. Here's a recent one.

Good Luck.

Ok, KrisTunetso, I'll give it all a try. Based on your response it's not likey a vacuum problem correct?
Old 09-10-2014, 11:31 AM
Kris Tunetso
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Anything's possible with cars this old but it's probably not vacuum-related. If it were a vacuum issue you'd be having problems with only getting hot air, or only cold air, or lukewarm air because of a malfunction in the vacuum operated actuators in the system. But weak airflow, based on what I've learned from reading around here is likely one of the 3 things I mentioned above. Or, I just recently read in another thread, that giving the blower motor a larger ground wire may help it blow harder. It might be in the thread I linked above: if not, search "Blower motor" and read the threads until you find it.

Problems with the vacuum lines and actuators is why many replace the entire HVAC system with a kit from VintageAir or similar: it's all electric and eliminates vac problems. It's expensive though.

Last edited by Kris Tunetso; 09-10-2014 at 11:38 AM.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:48 AM
hgoodwiniii
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Kris Tunetso
Anything's possible with cars this old but it's probably not vacuum-related. If it were a vacuum issue you'd be having problems with only getting hot air, or only cold air, or lukewarm air because of a malfunction in the vacuum operated actuators in the system. But weak airflow, based on what I've learned from reading around here is likely one of the 3 things I mentioned above. Or, I just recently read in another thread, that giving the blower motor a larger ground wire may help it blow harder. It might be in the thread I linked above: if not, search "Blower motor" and read the threads until you find it.

Problems with the vacuum lines and actuators is why many replace the entire HVAC system with a kit from VintageAir or similar: it's all electric and eliminates vac problems. It's expensive though.
Ok, thanks. I'll check it out.

Get notified of new replies

To 76 a/c

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 76 a/c