C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vertex mag in a Vette...question

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 02:40 PM
DJ Dep
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'07

Default Vertex mag in a Vette...question

Will it fit? 1972 Vette. Planning on small block for race-only. NO street use. Will I be able to bolt in a Vertex mag or will it hit the firewall? Hood clearance is no problem.

Dep
Old 09-09-2014, 03:54 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

The Vertex mag I once had with a McKay IR injector setup was smaller in diameter even than the pre-HEI dizzy, but it was taller. FWIW never had any reason to see if it would fit under an ignition shield.
Old 09-09-2014, 05:37 PM
DJ Dep
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05-'07

Originally Posted by TheSkunkWorks
The Vertex mag I once had with a McKay IR injector setup was smaller in diameter even than the pre-HEI dizzy, but it was taller. FWIW never had any reason to see if it would fit under an ignition shield.
No ignition shield, torn off and sold long ago.

Also the windshield wiper stuff is gone as well as the cowl. I plan on a raised-extended L88 hood that goes all the way to the base of the window. I think that will be plenty tall enough to clear the mag...I hope.
I guess I better go over to Joe Hunt's website and see what the specs are for height and start doing some measuring.

Last edited by DJ Dep; 09-09-2014 at 05:40 PM.
Old 09-09-2014, 10:53 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 391 Likes on 237 Posts

It will fit no problem, I ran a Vertex mag with my small block and big block in my '68.

Good to see you Dep, haven't seen you post in a while.
Old 09-10-2014, 01:13 AM
DJ Dep
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05-'07

Originally Posted by Corey_68
It will fit no problem, I ran a Vertex mag with my small block and big block in my '68.

Good to see you Dep, haven't seen you post in a while.
Excellent! Thanks for that info!

Good to see you too Corey. Now if I can just get the stoopid door handle mechanism fixed, I will be well on my way.
Old 10-05-2014, 06:15 PM
DJ Dep
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05-'07

Default One more thing

Well I have TWO Vertex mags (one OAC and one OXC) I picked up off E-Bay. Both have tach drives. Quick question...will the mechanical tach drive cable from the Vette hook up to the mag or do I need to buy a new cable or whole new tach?

Dep
Old 10-06-2014, 03:25 AM
terrys6t8roadster
Melting Slicks

Received 337 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ Dep
Well I have TWO Vertex mags (one OAC and one OXC) I picked up off E-Bay. Both have tach drives. Quick question...will the mechanical tach drive cable from the Vette hook up to the mag or do I need to buy a new cable or whole new tach?

Dep
MSD tach drive dist in the 6t8. The shift lite comes on at 7200RPM tack was reading under 6000RPMs. OEM tach quite working. IMHO the OEM mechanical tach isn't up the job of a fast accelerating engine and it seems like you're putting together more of an engine than what I have. T
Old 10-06-2014, 11:18 AM
DJ Dep
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05-'07

Originally Posted by terrys6t8roadster
MSD tach drive dist in the 6t8. The shift lite comes on at 7200RPM tack was reading under 6000RPMs. OEM tach quite working. IMHO the OEM mechanical tach isn't up the job of a fast accelerating engine and it seems like you're putting together more of an engine than what I have. T
Well I want to at least TRY the OEM tach before replacing it.
From another forum I found out there IS the possibility the cable connection will fit. If not, THEN I will replace the tach.

This is what they said on the H.A.M.B. Forum:

"There are at least 4 different possible sockets that could be in the tach drive in your mag, Corvette is the most likely, but that doesnt mean thats what it is. Corvette (and Accel BEI) is a .104 square drive, could also be a .187 round tang with a key on one side (common on Ford, some Mopar, and brace yourself, Vertex), a .152 round with a tang (mostly Mopar and some aftermarket chevy), and a hex. So no, its not a simple question, and the answer isn't simple.
Its probably Corvette, and you will probably get lucky. Odds are quite high it could also be .187 with a tang, the other two are possible, but less likely. If its wrong, you need to get a new cable made, most big marine shops can handle it."

Last edited by DJ Dep; 10-06-2014 at 11:22 AM.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:23 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 576 Likes on 459 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

i may be wrong but one of the early mags changed the cable size back in about 1962 and later ones used the chevy / corvette size. in any case it will fit your car and the cable is not a big deal. very cool to run a magneto now days i commend you, a strong cool factor.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:29 PM
DJ Dep
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05-'07

Originally Posted by 7t9l82
i may be wrong but one of the early mags changed the cable size back in about 1962 and later ones used the chevy / corvette size. in any case it will fit your car and the cable is not a big deal. very cool to run a magneto now days i commend you, a strong cool factor.
Thanks. I actually have two to pick from. One is the OAC which is the original design, and the other is the newer OXC, which is supposedly even hotter for racing. My car is being built for off road/race only so a mag is no problem to run. It will be set for fixed, full advance. They are actually much better than even the multi-spark distributors because the spark gets hotter the faster the RPMs are. That's why they still use mags in Funny Cars and Dragsters. I mean you can upgrade the magnets on these things to where they will almost ignite water! I'll tell you one thing, you do NOT want to accidently get zapped by one of these things. If you think getting hit with a zap from a car coil is bad, and it is, I talk from experience, the mag puts a normal car coil to shame. And you CAN get zapped with the engine turned OFF. The mag puts out it's own electrical power. You don't need a battery to start the car. You can push start it and it will start.
I got a super good price on the mags on E-Bay, and even if they need a rebuild or a different tach drive cable, I will still be ahead of the game. And yeah, the "coolness factor" when you look in the engine compartment is pretty awesome.

Get notified of new replies

To Vertex mag in a Vette...question

Quick Reply: Vertex mag in a Vette...question