C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant in the Oil Pan on my 73' SB

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 05:18 PM
hickokcpa
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant in the Oil Pan on my 73' SB

I recently replaced the incorrect intake manifold with the correct on my 1973 small block. I got it put back together and added coolant to the radiator and noticed the coolant was leaking from the front of the pan near the timing chain cover. I figured it was a bad water pump gasket or timing cover gasket. Since this was going to set me back I decided that while I was at it (of course), I would replace the oil pan gasket and rear seal. When I opened the drain plug a mixture of oil and coolant rushed out. Prior to replacing the intake the car ran fine. I guess my question is, is it probable that I didn't get the intake sealed correctly and thus my leak? I read a few threads responding to similar problems suggesting it was the head gasket. However since it was running fine prior to my disassembly, I find it hard to believe it's the head gasket. Also, what steps do I need to take to cleanse the engine of the coolant that leaked in. Thanks!

Last edited by hickokcpa; 09-09-2014 at 06:38 PM.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:59 PM
rbowman
Instructor

Since there was no issues before replacing the intake gasket, my guess something went wrong when this was performed. As for getting the coolant out of the oil pan, just replace the oil and filter. If you choose you can change oil and filter again after a short run, at least it would give you a little piece of mind.

Ron
Old 09-10-2014, 02:05 AM
hickokcpa
Heel & Toe

Thanks Ron. I needed some reassurance. The oil I drained out has never been run through the motor. I changed it before I starting tearing in to it. When I drained it, it seemed to pour out a little thinner than I was accustomed changing used oil. Now I'm wondering if coolant is actually in there. Hard to tell.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:37 AM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

Oil is less dense than coolant so when you remove your drain plug, the coolant will flow out first if there is any significant amount.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:24 AM
Roozstr
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you sure it isn't the coolant that ran into the crankcase when you took the intake off? Trick is to leave the oil plug out and do an oil change after you put the intake back on.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:04 PM
hickokcpa
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Roozstr
Are you sure it isn't the coolant that ran into the crankcase when you took the intake off? Trick is to leave the oil plug out and do an oil change after you put the intake back on.
So put the intake on, take out the plug, and add oil? Just run oil through it?
Old 09-10-2014, 08:06 PM
hickokcpa
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by resdoggie
Oil is less dense than coolant so when you remove your drain plug, the coolant will flow out first if there is any significant amount.
Yeah, it sure looked like it was diluted but was hard to tell for sure. I guess when I get the water pump back on and the gaskets replaced, I'll add antifreeze back in and see if it leaks out the oil drain. Before I remove the intake again.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:07 PM
Roozstr
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hickokcpa
So put the intake on, take out the plug, and add oil? Just run oil through it?
An Intake manifold has coolant running through the front and back of it. When you remove it coolant runs into the lifter valley and then into the oil pan. This is normal. No getting around it. You just need to change the oil after the intake is replaced to make sure all the coolant is out of the crankcase.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:31 PM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 239 Posts

If you leave the drained oil sit in a container a few minutes the coolant will separate out and will come to the top of the container. If you put it in something clear you would know right away if there was coolant in it and about how much.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:24 AM
hickokcpa
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Roozstr
An Intake manifold has coolant running through the front and back of it. When you remove it coolant runs into the lifter valley and then into the oil pan. This is normal. No getting around it. You just need to change the oil after the intake is replaced to make sure all the coolant is out of the crankcase.
Ok got it. I knew I was missing something there. Thanks!
Old 09-12-2014, 09:25 AM
hickokcpa
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by JimLentz
If you leave the drained oil sit in a container a few minutes the coolant will separate out and will come to the top of the container. If you put it in something clear you would know right away if there was coolant in it and about how much.
Great idea. I'll try this. Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To Coolant in the Oil Pan on my 73' SB

Quick Reply: Coolant in the Oil Pan on my 73' SB