C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

81 - only 1 Hi beam on constantly

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 02:53 PM
Brians1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Default 81 - only 1 Hi beam on constantly

Needs some troubleshooting help...

Car is an 81...has the following:

New headlight switch
New vacuum lines
New vacuum canister
New actuator's
etc...

the whole headlight system is basically new and has been working great..until now...

When headlights On for low-low beam (both are on)...pass side hi-beam is on...sort of "dull" as if it were on a dimmer...when I switch to hi-beam ...my low beams go to dull, again as if on a dimmer and pass side hi-beam goes bright...driver side hi-beam is not on

I replaced all 4 light connectors, I pulled the light green and tan and ground wires and traced them all for good ground and power...all is good.

** I also swapped around the hi-beams to ensure the bulb was functional..it is.

My lean at this point is the dimmer switch in the column ??!!??

Thoughts?
Old 09-13-2014, 08:07 PM
Brians1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

bump
Old 09-14-2014, 08:37 AM
Brians1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Ttt
Old 09-14-2014, 10:14 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

In the process of doing your work, you may have dislodged/broken a ground wire to the headlamp system. Things going 'dim' when more current is called for is a classic symptom of a bad ground in the wiring.

And, since you've changed the headlamp switch, you can't rule out that there could be some problem with that (internal mfg defect). Check out all of the visible wiring/grounding for the headlamps; verify the condition of the filament in the non-working bulb (there are two filaments in the low-beam lamps; only one in the hi-beams); then consider removing and checking out the integrity of the headlamp switch.

P.S. The quality of the aftermarket headlamp switches (for carrying high current for long periods of time, etc) is not good, compared to the original factory pieces. You might consider inserting a power relay in the light system...just so the switch will only 'trigger' the relay which would then carry the electrical load.
Old 09-14-2014, 11:19 AM
Brians1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
In the process of doing your work, you may have dislodged/broken a ground wire to the headlamp system. Things going 'dim' when more current is called for is a classic symptom of a bad ground in the wiring.

And, since you've changed the headlamp switch, you can't rule out that there could be some problem with that (internal mfg defect). Check out all of the visible wiring/grounding for the headlamps; verify the condition of the filament in the non-working bulb (there are two filaments in the low-beam lamps; only one in the hi-beams); then consider removing and checking out the integrity of the headlamp switch.

P.S. The quality of the aftermarket headlamp switches (for carrying high current for long periods of time, etc) is not good, compared to the original factory pieces. You might consider inserting a power relay in the light system...just so the switch will only 'trigger' the relay which would then carry the electrical load.
Great Advice...I did add two relays for Hi and Low beams...still same result..I also did fresh grounds to the relays, and the lamps..again same result...I have chased everything down except the dimmer switch, and the new headlamp switch...Parking lights come on with no issues, and when on blinkers, etc are all functional for all use cases (including hazards)...my gut says its the dimmer switch on the column...just not excited about digging in there

Get notified of new replies

To 81 - only 1 Hi beam on constantly

Quick Reply: 81 - only 1 Hi beam on constantly