C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on radiator mount change

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 11:37 AM
DJ Dep
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'07

Default Question on radiator mount change

I have a 72 Vette that originally had a 27 inch radiator mounting and a big block. I want to install a 26 inch radiator support bracket and use a small block aluminum radiator. Will the 26 inch radiator mount bolt right in to the 27 inch location? Will the bolt holes line up or will I have to drill new ones (no big deal, just would like to know).

Thanks,
Dep
Old 09-14-2014, 03:26 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Dep,
Besides the question of the top mount, have you taken into account that the core support for the copper radiator doesn't have the 2 lower brackets to receive the 2 'pegs' on the bottom of the sb aluminum radiator.
Or maybe you're using some other aluminum radiator or core support?
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 09-14-2014 at 03:29 PM.
Old 09-14-2014, 03:56 PM
DJ Dep
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05-'07

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi Dep,
Besides the question of the top mount, have you taken into account that the core support for the copper radiator doesn't have the 2 lower brackets to receive the 2 'pegs' on the bottom of the sb aluminum radiator.
Or maybe you're using some other aluminum radiator or core support?
Regards,
Alan
Alan:
All that stuff is available and can be installed fairly easily. I just want to know if the surrounding 26 inch gizmo will mount fairly easily. The 27 inch radiator and surround is GONE and I sure don't want it back again. I'm not looking for some kind of concourse restoration. The car is already gutted for the strip.
Old 09-14-2014, 04:49 PM
loup68
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 427 Likes on 322 Posts

My company made the metal Corvette radiator supports from 1960-1982. Your support has two lower brackets, that are spot welded the correct distance for the 27" core. Between the two brackets is an "L" shaped metal piece, that is also spot welded. The 26" radiator has the right hand lower bracket moved to the left, one inch, along with an inch shorter "L" shaped bottom piece, between the two lower brackets.
The upper support holes, I think, are in the same location. The two upper radiator brackets are different, to accommodate the two different radiator widths. Dewitt's makes aluminum radiators to fit both sizes. I do not think that it is worth all of the trouble to modify the lower right support bracket, to put in the 26" radiator. One inch of aluminum doesn't weigh that much more. Hope this helps you out. Lou.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:20 PM
DJ Dep
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05-'07

Originally Posted by loup68
My company made the metal Corvette radiator supports from 1960-1982. Your support has two lower brackets, that are spot welded the correct distance for the 27" core. Between the two brackets is an "L" shaped metal piece, that is also spot welded. The 26" radiator has the right hand lower bracket moved to the left, one inch, along with an inch shorter "L" shaped bottom piece, between the two lower brackets.
The upper support holes, I think, are in the same location. The two upper radiator brackets are different, to accommodate the two different radiator widths. Dewitt's makes aluminum radiators to fit both sizes. I do not think that it is worth all of the trouble to modify the lower right support bracket, to put in the 26" radiator. One inch of aluminum doesn't weigh that much more. Hope this helps you out. Lou.
Lou: Not sure what you are saying, but I am changing from 27 to 26 inch radiator not for weight savings. I am changing because the dang 27 inch radiator has NO CAP on it. So I have to fill the block and then the radiator and then keep futzing around trying to bleed air out of everything. To heck with that. What I want is an aluminum radiator WITH a cap on it. The original 27 radiator and supports are LONG GONE.

If I have to buy a new radiator support bracket, no problem. This is the gizmo I am talking about. Not upper or lower, but complete surround. I can Mickey Mouse upper and lower brackets. This is a 26 inch surround bracket for an aluminum radiator.
Attached Images  
Old 09-14-2014, 08:53 PM
SS164
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

The radiator support shown in your photo is used with the smaller aluminum radiator (small block, 4 speed, no air, non LT1). Radiator has no cap and surge tank is used. Radiator has two pins that sit in the two lower brackets shown in photo.

The 26" radiator support is different. Lower brackets are further apart and radiator sits in different style brackets. This style radiator has it's own cap.

If your intensions are to have a larger radiator with a cap you will need to purchase the following support along with the two upper bolt on brackets and the four rubber pads. Lower brackets are weled on and are included with new support. The support in your photo will not work.

http://www.zip-corvette.com/catalog/...category/6905/
Old 09-14-2014, 10:49 PM
DJ Dep
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05-'07

Originally Posted by SS164
The radiator support shown in your photo is used with the smaller aluminum radiator (small block, 4 speed, no air, non LT1). Radiator has no cap and surge tank is used. Radiator has two pins that sit in the two lower brackets shown in photo.

The 26" radiator support is different. Lower brackets are further apart and radiator sits in different style brackets. This style radiator has it's own cap.

If your intensions are to have a larger radiator with a cap you will need to purchase the following support along with the two upper bolt on brackets and the four rubber pads. Lower brackets are weled on and are included with new support. The support in your photo will not work.

http://www.zip-corvette.com/catalog/...category/6905/
The picture was just an example of what I was talking about. I just grabbed the first non-27 inch support I found. But thanks for your help.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:58 AM
loup68
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 427 Likes on 322 Posts

I agree with SS164. I just bought a new Dewitt's aluminum radiator, non-automatic, #1239070 M, for my 26" support. Good luck. Lou.

Get notified of new replies

To Question on radiator mount change

Quick Reply: Question on radiator mount change