C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 06:50 PM
BLDun
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Alternator Question

I just completed an entire front suspension rebuild along with a serpentine conversion, DeWitt aluminum radiator with dual Spall fans. I also included a new 140 amp alternator to help with the additional demands.

Problem is that when I am driving and the fans kick on the alternator gauge on the dash swings over to +40. I thought it might be a ground problem so I ran a dedicated ground wire from the block-to-frame ground and hooked the fan ground wires to that but nothing changed.

Any ideas why it does this and what the solution might be? I'm assuming it isn't supposed to do this.

Thanks
Barry
Old 09-18-2014, 07:28 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Sounds like you did not hook the main power feed wire to the alternator directly and ran it off the Battery stud on the starter....that is incorrect install, no matter who says what.....
Old 09-18-2014, 08:15 PM
BLDun
Racer

Yea I did run it off the starter. Mainly because there seemed to be a lot of guys that did that and didn't seem to have any problem. Wonder why it would work for some and not others?

I'll have to move it and see if that works better.

Thanks
Old 09-18-2014, 08:46 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by BLDun
Yea I did run it off the starter. Mainly because there seemed to be a lot of guys that did that and didn't seem to have any problem. Wonder why it would work for some and not others?

I'll have to move it and see if that works better.

Thanks
Just make sure the hot side of the relay coil is on a SWITCHED hot, like the pink wire to the ignition or maybe Brown wire running accessories.... the other end of the coil is controlled by either the computer or maybe the sense unit in the engine block.......

the FAN POWER is hooked directly to the alternator.....so you have TWO power sources to that relay.....on switched to the coil, the other to the FAN power is always hot, but when ignition is off the relay opens and you have NO drain from the fans.....

Old 09-20-2014, 11:12 PM
BLDun
Racer

MrVette, you were correct! I hooked up a new wire from the alternator to feed the fans and drove it around today for about an hour and the gauge stayed in place like normal and they heat gauge never got above 180. Still not sure why one works and the other didn't but, thanks anyway.

Barry
Old 09-21-2014, 09:53 AM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

It will work either way. Hooking it up as you did 1st runs all the current for the new fans through your existing wire harness, thats why it shows up on the ammeter. The existing harness is Not designed to carry that load. Hooking it on the alternator bypasses the existing harness and the ammeter, so you get no gauge indication that the fans kick on.
Good that you moved it, something would have burned if you had not.

Get notified of new replies

To Alternator Question

Quick Reply: Alternator Question