C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No power with ignition

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 08:05 PM
rew1984
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No power with ignition

Ok I have a 75 Corvette with automatic transmission and a newer crate 350 engine. I have had the car for about 5 years now and have not had any problems with the ignition system or starter. The other day I went to start the car and it turned over only to start dying and I heard a screeching noise. Turned car off and tried again to see if I could see where the noise was coming from and same thing happened right away. Next time I turned the key over the radiator fans kicked on but engine did not try to turn over. After trying a couple of times the fans do not even try to come on. The key also seems to spin freely at times and then gets locked in the start position and I have to move the steering column around to get it to turn back. I have replaced the ignition cylinder lock and it seems I have the same problem. Anyone have any idea as to what my problem is?
Old 09-22-2014, 03:09 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,605 Posts

have you determined if the battery is dead at this point? You replaced the cylinder lock did that include the ignition switch? Did the noise sound like the starter solenoid was not releasing after the engine started?
Old 09-22-2014, 03:13 PM
rew1984
Navigator

The battery is ok. Headlights work. Did not change out the ignition switch...was hoping it was just the cylinder lock. It sounded like the car was trying to start while running or a belt hanging up.
Old 09-22-2014, 04:49 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,605 Posts

have you tried placing the key in the run position and jumping the starter solenoid?
Old 09-23-2014, 07:50 PM
rew1984
Navigator

Originally Posted by MelWff
have you tried placing the key in the run position and jumping the starter solenoid?
No I haven't tried that. If it starts doing that, does that mean it is the ignition switch?

Get notified of new replies

To No power with ignition

Quick Reply: No power with ignition