C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water in Engine ... Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 08:39 PM
70Yellowbird
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Water in Engine ... Help!

I need some advice ... Please.

When I removed my oil pan plug today, about a pint of water came out ... here's how I got to this point!

I removed the carb, dizzy, exhaust manifolds, water pump, fan, sparkplugs, oil filter, etc. from my sb engine for easier access to repaint the engine (in the car) with POR15. Valve covers and oil pan are still installed, but not much else. Oil was drained out.

After removing existing engine paint, I sealed all of the openings that I could find with duct tape, for a final cleaning and degreasing. Yesterday I then sprayed degreaser and dragged my garden hose into the garage to rinse it off. I cracked open the hose nozzle, so very little water sprayed out.

I then blew off the standing water with compressed air. Somehow water got in anyway.

So what should I do at this point? Put the old oil back in, and drain again, or could this turn into a bigger headache?

I searched the archives, but didn't really find anything.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:07 PM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

As long as you didn't run it, it will be fine. Just check the oil for a milky color after you start it. If it is milky, change the oils until it goes away.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:09 PM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

If it's going to be sitting awhile, file with fresh oil and crank it over a few times with the plugs out. Then spray wd40 in the spark holes
Old 09-21-2014, 10:18 PM
briankeery
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I wasn't aware POR-15 was capable of withstanding engine heat?
Old 09-21-2014, 11:01 PM
70Yellowbird
Burning Brakes

Thanks for your input Hugie82 ... I don't know how long it will be sitting. I am planning on sending my carb to Lars for rebuild, and don't yet know how long before I will get it back ... or did you mean 'manually' crank it?
Old 09-21-2014, 11:07 PM
70Yellowbird
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by briankeery
I wasn't aware POR-15 was capable of withstanding engine heat?
Brian ... The POR15 website says the Rust Preventive Paint (primer) is good to 450 degrees. I haven't found a 'temp' for the Engine Enamel yet, but the paint can label says "High Temperature" and "Engine Tested". Also "guaranteed not to burn off".

Last edited by 70Yellowbird; 09-22-2014 at 11:47 AM.
Old 09-21-2014, 11:25 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Water and oil don't mix (well...not without some alcohol in there too). So, not to worry. Just drain the water out.

If you had antifreeze in your coolant and you found only water in the oil, it's apparent that only your 'cleaning' water got in there...not coolant.

Since the engine will be sitting for a while, you need to get ALL of the water out. Otherwise, it may initiate some rust internally. Then, just put fresh oil in it (I would suggest synthetic, since it won't "age" from just sitting around) and go on to other things.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:44 AM
70Yellowbird
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
"Since the engine will be sitting for a while, you need to get ALL of the water out."
If I leave the car in its present position ... the front end is up on ramps ... and leave the oil pan plug out, will that get ALL the water out? Or do I need to do something else in addition?

Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To Water in Engine ... Help!

Quick Reply: Water in Engine ... Help!