C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smallblock 77 TH350 low rpm first gear knocking noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 01:06 PM
murukult
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Smallblock 77 TH350 low rpm first gear knocking noise

Please help me analyze the cause of that problem. I had a full rebuild to my th350. I have driven now with that rebuilt gearbox 1 month. After cople of weeks I noticed that with hot engine there will be knocking noise with 1st gear at steady speed ca 1200 rpm. When I accelerate slowli then the noise will end after gear change. When I decelerate then also the noise disappears. With 2nd and 3rd I cant notice that sound. Also if I accelerate more aggressevly from 1st to 3rd then there will be noise.
Sound of that noise is similar to hydraulic lifter. But is it logical that this noise is only with certain heat, gear and rpm?
Old 09-22-2014, 01:33 PM
tonak
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

loose flex-plate bolts maybe?
Old 09-22-2014, 02:18 PM
murukult
Heel & Toe

But how do you explain the relationship between warm engine/gearbox and noise?
Old 09-23-2014, 03:15 AM
murukult
Heel & Toe

I want to add that the noise comes with driving style like when I drive with warm engine in parking lot slowly to find a parking spot.
Old 08-28-2019, 01:30 PM
CRINCRACING
6th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I’ve rebuilt more TR6060’s than I care to count. Your issues are shared by many folks. Especially shared by those that live in extreme climates, where winter temps are less than 30F and summers are plus 90F. The gear oil can’t keep up. As a consequence your bearings are shot. More than likely the synchros are on their way out. The Speedo gear has started to fail as well, All symptomatic of a tranny that needs new parts.
The fix? Get the TR6060 rebuilt, it’s cheap and quick. In the future, go with different viscosity synthetic oils to accommodate the temperatures. Same for your differential.
when I was stationed in Germany for two years, courtesy of the Marine Corps, I fondly remember icicles in winter and hot balmy summers. I’m sure that hadn’t changed much in 45 years.
Old 08-30-2019, 08:48 PM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by murukult
Please help me analyze the cause of that problem. I had a full rebuild to my th350. I have driven now with that rebuilt gearbox 1 month. After cople of weeks I noticed that with hot engine there will be knocking noise with 1st gear at steady speed ca 1200 rpm. When I accelerate slowli then the noise will end after gear change. When I decelerate then also the noise disappears. With 2nd and 3rd I cant notice that sound. Also if I accelerate more aggressevly from 1st to 3rd then there will be noise.
Sound of that noise is similar to hydraulic lifter. But is it logical that this noise is only with certain heat, gear and rpm?
Take the car back to whoever rebuilt the box , especially if they removed , replaced it .

Last edited by bazza77; 08-30-2019 at 08:48 PM.
Old 08-31-2019, 11:35 AM
BKbroiler
Le Mans Master

Received 706 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by CRINCRACING
I’ve rebuilt more TR6060’s than I care to count. Your issues are shared by many folks. Especially shared by those that live in extreme climates, where winter temps are less than 30F and summers are plus 90F. The gear oil can’t keep up. As a consequence your bearings are shot. More than likely the synchros are on their way out. The Speedo gear has started to fail as well, All symptomatic of a tranny that needs new parts.
The fix? Get the TR6060 rebuilt, it’s cheap and quick. In the future, go with different viscosity synthetic oils to accommodate the temperatures. Same for your differential.
when I was stationed in Germany for two years, courtesy of the Marine Corps, I fondly remember icicles in winter and hot balmy summers. I’m sure that hadn’t changed much in 45 years.
Dude - this is about a TH350 automatic trans.
Old 09-01-2019, 05:33 PM
CRINCRACING
6th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BKbroiler
Dude - this is about a TH350 automatic trans.
Somehow my post made it to this thread, my mistake.

Get notified of new replies

To Smallblock 77 TH350 low rpm first gear knocking noise

Quick Reply: Smallblock 77 TH350 low rpm first gear knocking noise