C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger rear wheel sticks out farther than driver's side

Old 09-22-2014, 05:35 PM
mr_stoop
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger rear wheel sticks out farther than driver's side

I have searched this forum to no avail for C3s with this problem. As the title reads, my passenger rear tire stick out approx. an inch farther than the drivers side. Is this common? Where would the adjustment lie in order to fix this issue?

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-22-2014, 05:48 PM
C3 Stroker
Safety Car

Received 608 Likes on 403 Posts

Proper (new) alignment will fix this. Needs re- shimmed.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:51 PM
gjohnson
Drifting

Received 356 Likes on 247 Posts

A couple of things. Camber could be out and or you could have different back spacing on one wheel if its not a Corvette rallye or other.Alignment also as stated above. Pics would be helpful.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:16 PM
mr_stoop
Heel & Toe

Ok, just took some pics that I think were too large for posting. Sorry.

The camber is equal on both sides and I have stock aluminum rims with the same offset (just measured).

I just did some quick measuring from the center of the rear end to the trailing arms as well as to the inside lip of the rim. Center diff to inside trailing arm have only 1/8" difference from side to side. Center diff to inside lip of the rim has a 1/2" difference between both sides. Looks like the difference is somewhere in the bearing setup? Are there shims in there?
Old 09-22-2014, 06:33 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

This issue has come up countless times. Many C3s had an offset the day they came off the assembly line. There is no real fix.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:46 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

You might want to check to see if you body is 'squared' to the frame.....by checking the alignment points that are under your door sills. One hole in the front ..under the sill on the drivers side...and one hole under the sill on the passenger side in the rear. These holes in the body should be PERFECTLY over the holes in the frame that allow you to see the ground through these holes.

This is also assuming that your car has not been 'tweaked' due to an accident and not correctly pulled straight.

Also...I hope you can get a photo up...that would help greatly.

DUB
Old 09-24-2014, 01:15 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,153 Likes on 2,726 Posts

Measure from the inner fender lip to the frame on each side of the car.....

all of the previously mentioned possible problems with an out-of-line body could add up to one inch.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:42 AM
mr_stoop
Heel & Toe

Thanks you all for your help, guys. It looks like it is a multitude of the factors. For one, the distance from the center of the diff to the trailing arm on the passenger side is greater by a small amount, then the camber seems to be a little off on the driver side (tire is tilted in at the top), and the body is a little off. All this adds up.

Looks like and alignment is the first step to sorting this out.
Old 09-24-2014, 05:41 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by mr_stoop
then the camber seems to be a little off on the driver side (tire is tilted in at the top), and the body is a little off. All this adds up.

Looks like and alignment is the first step to sorting this out.
I...myself would make sure the body is square to the frame like I wrote.

ALSO.....due to the wheel being inwards on that one side....I myself would jack up the rear and check to see how much 'in and out' play your have in your side yokes coming out of the differential. Reason being....if they are worn down far enough...there is not enough adjustment in the strut rod concentric bolt to get the wheel correct. AND...leaving this unattended....the side yokes will keep wearing down to the point that the steel dust cone shield that is pressed onto the side yokes actually eats into your differential housing....and CAN RUIN IT......by removing the cast iron that holds in your grease seal for the side yoke. NOT JOKING MATTER HERE...unless you just like to spend $$$$. I will write this...that if your side yokes have 'in and out' play equal to that of a paper matchstick...they are worn out....and it will get worse depending on how much you drive it ...obviously. In and out play like a wood matchstick...you are really pressing your luck.

Although I can find written text on the run-out measurement of the side yokes for a 1984-1996 Corvette,....I can not find anything specific to the run-out for your side yokes. BUT...general consensus is the same...which is about .008"...or the thickness of an average single edge razor blade.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Passenger rear wheel sticks out farther than driver's side

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Passenger rear wheel sticks out farther than driver's side