C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips on putting the radiator back in.

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 06:21 PM
randommj
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tips on putting the radiator back in.

74 auto with AC

An auto mechanic friend of mine and I took out the radiator this weekend because it apparently had a pretty good leak. Love story short it took up about 4 hours. The lower hose connection kept getting hung up on the a-arm. We had to un-bolt the support bracket and tip it forward and it was still a nightmare. In what order would you guys re-install the radiator, shroud, shroud extender and fan?

Also, there was a bit of rust on the support bracket, and while it's out I was planing on hitting it with some rustoleum, whats some other things I should do while it's out.

Also also, is there a way to operate the head lamps and get them up and out of the way without vacuum?

Miles
Old 09-28-2014, 07:12 PM
loup68
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 427 Likes on 322 Posts

The headlights are made to be able to be manually brought up. You grab the mechanism and gently push up on the front part. Watch out that you do not get your hand cought when it snaps open by the powerful springs. Lay down on some cardboard and operate it that way, so that you can see what you are doing. Lou.

Last edited by loup68; 09-29-2014 at 09:00 AM.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:14 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 576 Likes on 459 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

just push firmly upward on the headlight carrier it will come up. when i reinstall the radiator i tilt the lower hose fitting around the control arm and pivot the opposite side down. it is easier with 2 people. then move the shroud forward .
Old 09-28-2014, 07:31 PM
Roozstr
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just put a radiator in my 73. I pulled the upper control arms and the radiator fell in. You don't have to take the ball joint out of it just take the control arm off the frame mount and pull them back. About 15 min a side.
DAVE

Last edited by Roozstr; 09-29-2014 at 02:48 PM.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:23 PM
randommj
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 7t9l82
just push firmly upward on the headlight carrier it will come up. when i reinstall the radiator i tilt the lower hose fitting around the control arm and pivot the opposite side down. it is easier with 2 people. then move the shroud forward .
So you would do the radiator and shroud separately? As in put the radiator in and hook it up, then snake the shroud down in?

Originally Posted by Roozstr
I just put a radiator in my 73. I pulled the upper control arms and the radiator fell in. You don't have to take the ball joint out of it just take the control arm off the frame mount and pull them back. About 15 min A side.
DAVE
This very well may be the next step

Miles
Old 09-28-2014, 08:36 PM
riverracer au
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 178 Posts

here's what i did for the radiator and shroud install on my 72earlier this year when all apart,
bolt the frame, radiator and shroud all together as one unit outside the car,
then install as one unit, bit heavy n bulky, but easy done with 2 people,
saves the cursing an swearing trying to get the shroud past the A arms.
took 5min and it was all back in.
then only put the bottom side frame bolts in, then lift top towards the front, slip the bottom radiator hose on and clamp.
lower back down, install the rest of the side frame bolts, done.

Last edited by riverracer au; 09-28-2014 at 08:40 PM.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:39 PM
Sunstroked
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 114 Posts

The 72 service manual recommends removing the upper 2 shroud bolts on either side of the radiator and then hinging the radiator/shroud assy upwards. Access is through the lt and rt wheel wells. Just saying.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:33 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 576 Likes on 459 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

i pulled the shroud close to the engine and never took it out. twisted the radiator into place and slid the shroud forward and worked it into place. i can't imagine pulling a control arm but i guess that would work. it is one of those things you just have to play with it and all of a sudden it will find its way. definitely a pain but its been done.
Old 09-28-2014, 11:27 PM
cobrachuck
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 54 Posts

I just did my 75 it had never been apart . It took all morning with wife helping . I had the radiator guy remove 1.5 " from the lower hose outlet the re install went great . Good luck
Old 09-29-2014, 12:22 AM
Haggisbash
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 198 Posts

Check the support bracket carefully, they rust from the inside out and they are a frame stiffening device as well as the radiator support. As they are full of drill holes it is easy while the support it out of the car to put some rust preventer in the frame and swirl it around to get at all the internal surfaces. I use a fish oil product for this type of application.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:53 AM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Received 568 Likes on 445 Posts

Default couple of additional comments....

couple of additional comments...

agree with all of the above, plus I would paint mark the location of the hood hinges and pull the hood off as it gives you some more access room.

Also, I would put some cardboard over the radiator fins on both sides to keep from damaging the radiator fins by accident.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:54 PM
Roozstr
Instructor

Originally Posted by 7t9l82
i pulled the shroud close to the engine and never took it out. twisted the radiator into place and slid the shroud forward and worked it into place. i can't imagine pulling a control arm but i guess that would work. it is one of those things you just have to play with it and all of a sudden it will find its way. definitely a pain but its been done.
I read some posts on here about it and saw the two ways to go about it. Control arms and taking the hood off and moving the radiator support forward. I was by myself and didn't have anyone to help me with the hood so I just went for the control arm. Very simple. Took about a half hour. All you need is a floor jack and a 4 ft piece of chain.
Dave
Old 09-30-2014, 10:51 PM
randommj
Safety Car

So I got the radiator back tonight and put it back in the car no problem. I got ask the hoses hooked up and everything is great. But I'm not sure the fan shroud will be able to go in with the radiator already in. I'm looking for anything I can do to not pull the radiator again, had anyone replaced their shroud without taking the radiator out? What about from the bottom by removing the sway bar?

Miles
Old 09-30-2014, 11:34 PM
Roozstr
Instructor

Originally Posted by randommj
So I got the radiator back tonight and put it back in the car no problem. I got ask the hoses hooked up and everything is great. But I'm not sure the fan shroud will be able to go in with the radiator already in. I'm looking for anything I can do to not pull the radiator again, had anyone replaced their shroud without taking the radiator out? What about from the bottom by removing the sway bar?

Miles
I think you need to go back and read all of the above posts again.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:54 PM
hwcoop
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Not a fun job, I always have trouble with the shroud and a arms.
been a couple of times on my 73, this seemed to work for me....
after draining rad, removing hoses & Fan
Remove hood
Remove top 2 bolts on rad support on each side
Remove 2 bottom (underneath) rad support bolts & Brace to header panel
Remove support to Rad mounting clamps
swing rad support vertical
separate shroud and pull rad out , may have to tilt to clear lower neck and control arm
installation is reverse

new Dewitts perfect fit (really is)

Things all nice and loose, new rad slid in quite easily

Runs much cooler now, even with the 454
Old 10-01-2014, 11:56 AM
mark6669
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by riverracer au
here's what i did for the radiator and shroud install on my 72earlier this year when all apart,
then only put the bottom side frame bolts in, then lift top towards the front, slip the bottom radiator hose on and clamp.

I have been doing it that way for years you just need two people to do it.
Mark
Old 10-01-2014, 12:38 PM
71 Green 454
Le Mans Master

Received 1,186 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by riverracer au

I just put a DeWitts in my '71 BB. With the hood off, I took the original one out by separating the parts, but when I installed the new one, I put the frame, radiator, and shroud together and installed it as one unit.

It was much easier this way and except for removing the hood, (my wife helped) I did this by myself.

Get notified of new replies

To Tips on putting the radiator back in.

Quick Reply: Tips on putting the radiator back in.