C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Frame off help

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 04:48 PM
jamesw2066
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 46 Posts

Default Frame off help

Has anyone ever lifted a body off from the door hinges and locking post. I have an 80 thats getting a frame stiffing and back half modification for a Dana 60 or Currie rear end. The car has side skirts and I'd like not to tear those up or cut them off to use sill straps to raise the body off. I know the nose needs additional support as we'll. any suggestions would be helpful.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:33 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

You might want to look into fabbing up a support from which to lift the body somewhat like the factory used to mate it to the chassis...

Old 09-30-2014, 11:52 PM
PeteZO6
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesw2066
Has anyone ever lifted a body off from the door hinges and locking post. I have an 80 thats getting a frame stiffing and back half modification for a Dana 60 or Currie rear end. The car has side skirts and I'd like not to tear those up or cut them off to use sill straps to raise the body off. I know the nose needs additional support as we'll. any suggestions would be helpful.
Your Corvette looks familiar! Did you used to have a different screen name and have some cool videos covering your trials and tribulations with your '80? Or are you a new owner of the car? Not judging, just curious.

Petr
Old 10-01-2014, 09:07 AM
jamesw2066
Instructor

Originally Posted by PeteZO6
Your Corvette looks familiar! Did you used to have a different screen name and have some cool videos covering your trials and tribulations with your '80? Or are you a new owner of the car? Not judging, just curious.

Petr
No we built the 80 from scratch in our garage, My kid might have it online somewhere else. It did get published in the 2009 vette mag.
We are currently building a 72 as well.
Of course its custom.

Old 10-01-2014, 01:51 PM
Ibanez540r
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

I used a set of the large cargo / ratchet straps (2-3" width) and wrapped them around the underside of the body and back up to the lifting point. This was also a benefit to be able to adjust the length.

May work for your situation.
Old 10-02-2014, 05:58 AM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 796 Likes on 620 Posts

Default lift off

Keep in mind if you look at the factory picture the straps pull the car straight up. If your car is painted or finished straps that run all to the middle create a lot of pressure on the doors. You can also scratch them. If at all possible try to pull straight up.
Roger

Last edited by SB64; 10-02-2014 at 06:01 AM.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:31 AM
jamesw2066
Instructor

the issue with the straps underneath is it has side skirts that are really bonded and molded in nicely. I dont want to mess those up but I could cut slits in them for the straps.
I was looking at using the two holes in each sill plate and bolting eye bolts thru with some flat stock underneath for support
I had read somewhere that somebody had lifted using the hinges and door lock post but I,m going to try that.

Thanks
Old 10-02-2014, 05:15 PM
stevelischynsky
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jamesw2066
the issue with the straps underneath is it has side skirts that are really bonded and molded in nicely. I dont want to mess those up but I could cut slits in them for the straps.
I was looking at using the two holes in each sill plate and bolting eye bolts thru with some flat stock underneath for support
I had read somewhere that somebody had lifted using the hinges and door lock post but I,m going to try that.

Thanks
One of my bird cage rocker channels were rusted enough that I didn't trust using a hook under it.

I took an angle iron ( I think it was 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 ), drilled 2 holes at the distance of the two holes in the sill plate you mentioned. Then welded 2 nuts on the angle iron on the inside. This angle iron can just slip between the frame and the rocker channel birdcage by walking it in from the side. Then I used eye bolts like you mentioned

Steve L.
73 coupe since new
Old 10-02-2014, 07:42 PM
jamesw2066
Instructor

Originally Posted by stevelischynsky
One of my bird cage rocker channels were rusted enough that I didn't trust using a hook under it.

I took an angle iron ( I think it was 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 ), drilled 2 holes at the distance of the two holes in the sill plate you mentioned. Then welded 2 nuts on the angle iron on the inside. This angle iron can just slip between the frame and the rocker channel birdcage by walking it in from the side. Then I used eye bolts like you mentioned

Steve L.
73 coupe since new
Thanks for the conformation on what I was thinking. This car is about to a lot more fun this time around with new Dart 434 and Dana 60. and stiffened up frame. Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Frame off help

Quick Reply: Frame off help