C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is this bar?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 08:48 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Good excuse to do a suspension overhaul with stock components. I bet it will ride and handle a lot better afterwards
Old 10-04-2014, 09:30 PM
Swamppro
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scary thing is you can tell it's been on this car for many years.
Old 10-04-2014, 10:24 PM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,661 Likes on 1,400 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default Good

Originally Posted by BKbroiler
I assure you, he is being sarcastic and more eloquent than usual.
Thank goodness.....!
Old 10-04-2014, 11:43 PM
rajin cajin
Pro

Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

I'm glad someone knows what the hell that is. I was wondering why in the hell would some one make a 1977 ford pickup twin I beam suspension kit for a corvette....
Old 10-05-2014, 06:55 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi,
I still think it makes a convenient place to put the jack.
Perhaps the picture could become part of a 'sticky' since the question "where do I jack my Corvette" is frequently asked.
Regards,
Alan

Also, an interesting take on the direction of the bolts to mount the lower a-arm, especially the placement of the 2 anchor nuts.
VERY GOOD EYE Alan.

SWAMPRO...you REALLY need to correct what Alan has noticed.

The 2 mounting bolts for your lower control arm have the 2 bolts coming through the frame and being held by the thick steel nut plate. The bolts need to be removed and the nut plate goes on the frame and the bolts come UP from the bottom. Your frame can get damaged due to the nut plate is not spreading out the forces. The way yours is bolted in...the bolt head could possibly pull through the frame.

Also...it seems...but hard to tell by your photo...that there is 'something' between the frame and the shaft in your lower control arm where it bolts to the frame.

DUB
Old 10-05-2014, 07:32 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Swampro.

This is the way your bolts should go....and what can happen so really looka t yoru steel well at this point.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...m-failure.html

DUB
Old 10-05-2014, 07:37 PM
MCMLXIX
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I forgot to mention earlier that if the suspension kit you have uses the stock control arms and shaft it is also upside down.
A stock one is not flat on both sides and can only be installed one way properly.
Look at a recent thread entitled Frame A Arm Failure.
It shows how a lower A arm is meant to be installed and what can happen even if it is done right.
That is what you are risking now.
If the fiberglass spring has any damage from the loose mounting point it will break.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:45 PM
Swamppro
Advanced

Thanks guys! Will have it on the rack once my mechanic gets back from cruising the coast.
Old 10-06-2014, 02:19 AM
terrys6t8roadster
Melting Slicks

Received 337 Likes on 280 Posts

For the ride comfort the OEM coils are the best and Corvettes handle good right out of the box. That said the VP&B traverse fiberglass spring allows for ride height adjustment and spring rate changes for custom tuning. The increase of handling is incredible. Do not place jack on fiberglass spring [per instructions]. T
Old 10-06-2014, 12:18 PM
mysixtynine
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

Going from your pictures it appears to be the vbandp traverse spring and control arms.

http://www.vbandp.com/auto-parts.htm...category_id=47
Old 10-19-2014, 10:30 PM
C3Hawk
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by C3Hawk
I have never seen that before.
Wait a minute!!! I just realized I have seen that before, it's on Mike80 's
car!
Old 10-20-2014, 11:01 AM
Swamppro
Advanced

Fixed it up and you are correct, handles like a dream!
Old 10-20-2014, 09:23 PM
Patro46
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by iwasmenowhesgone
I don't know if you are being sarcastic or just one of those know it all types. While I am no engineer or race car expert, my C3 Corvette is great fun to drive and handles as well as it needs to driving curved roads at same reasonable and safe speeds for public roads. The car was not meant to be a race car.

I especially like it when anyone, including the self proclaimed experts on this forum and others criticizing the very car the forum is all about. My question is always the same.....what is your claim to fame since you seem to think Chevrolet was made up by a bunch of fools. You must be a very successful and wealthy person since you are smarter than Chevrolet.
I can't speak about the one you quoted, but I can tell you this kind of encouragement can be a real steam-sucker. There are several here that tend to prey on threads with only one goal in mind. Demean and belittle. My goal was simply to improve handling, (which I did) but it opened up a porthole for these entities to enter and do what they do. Please don't feel singled out. IT'S ALL THEY DO! What's sad is this behavior is allowed and condoned, probably due to having "paid" memberships, giving them free reign to inject poison into the thread and kill it. Sadder still is the fact there are a LOT a really great, like minded people who can offer a wealth of information. Then you have the few that feel as if their information is not only the only available, but as if it were ordained to them by God almighty, leaving you with the feeling as if you'd rather invent and carve your own instructions in granite with a toothbrush and the heel of your boot. The silver lining to this dark cloud, is your not being singled out. Not only that, but someone chimed in on your behalf. This should undoubtedly shift the attention off you and onto me. I'll check back in a week or so and see how it's going! Good luck bro!

Quick Reply: What is this bar?