C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1979 L48 engine rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 08:14 PM
wonl2
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1979 L48 engine rebuild

Hello forum members, I have a stock 1979 L48 that I'm considering rebuilding. The car/motor has less than 60K miles. Automatic transmission. I found a new Comp Cams 12-211-2 Camshaft for $20 and a 350 Chevy Vortec intake in great shape for $30. I know that if I use the Vortec intake I will need to find Vortec heads.

The specs for the Comp Cams camshaft:

Operating Range: 1800-5800 RPM
Duration Advertised: 270° Intake / 270° Exhaust
Duration @ .050'' Lift: 224° Intake / 224° Exhaust
Valve Lift w/1.5 Rockers: .470'' Intake / .470'' Exhaust
Lobe Separation Angle: 110°

The specs for stock camshaft I found on internet:
195*/202* Duration @ .050"; .395/.410 lift on 112* lobe separation angle.

My questions are:
1. Will changing out the cam with the Comp Cam increase the horsepower?

2. Would it be worth it to replace the stock heads with Vortec heads?

3. If so, are all Vortec heads the same?

4. Can I use my current headers if I switch to the Vortec heads.

5. If I increase the horsepower of the engine would I need to address the transmission?

6. Any suggestions/comments on the direction I take?

7. Is there anything I'm forgetting?

Thanks for all replies and feedback!!
Old 10-13-2014, 02:41 PM
MajD
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Wonl2,

The cam you've selected really begins making power at 1800 rpm. It will give you more hp, but you may want to consider whether you will require a stall torque converter and different gearing to take advantage of that.

I think you will get more power from switching to vortec heads than from the cam. The thing to be aware of here is that the stock vortec intake runners are 175 cc, so they are great for torque, but may not flow enough to take advantage of the cam you're considering.

If you're going to replace the cam and heads, you should replace the stock headers as well. Just like heads, headers can make significant horsepower gains because they flow so well compared to the stock exhaust. I think you will be disappointed with your results if you keep the stock exhaust manifolds. That said, I don't know that they bolt up to vortec heads.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:23 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

Something I seem to recall on the vortec head is that it does not have a good flowing exhaust, therefore likes to have a good duration split on the cam.
That cam is good for a good flowing head on the exhaust side and with side pipes with headers.
With a stock exhaust set up or exhaust out the rear there is a more of resistance to flow than a non-split duration cam would want, at least for optimal power that is. It would still work just not as well as a split duration cam would.
That cam would produce more power ultimately than stock but would loose torque down low compared to stock.
Stock heads are unimpressive, so replacing them would always be better.
Your transmission would be fine with the mild power increase your looking at. Unless it has a problem now, then you'll know about it soon after putting more power to it.
As MajD mentioned, a higher stall torque converter would be almost a must for that cam. 2200-2400 maybe, and an additional cooler for the trans fluid then. Without the higher stall converter and the likely 3.08 out back it would be pretty doggy down low.

If you want a good functional combo don't let great deals on cams and heads dictate your build. Learn what works well and head in that direction.
Tons of threads on this topic. Do some searches and see what you can find out.
Do some reading. David Vizard writes some good books. Do a search on amazon for him.

Get notified of new replies

To 1979 L48 engine rebuild

Quick Reply: 1979 L48 engine rebuild