C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold air intake on my LS1 equipped '82=easy!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 02:38 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

This is what I plan to do with mine, if I decide to dive in that deep.

The following users liked this post:
htown81vette (04-11-2016)
Old 10-16-2014, 06:40 PM
682XLR8
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by pauldana

my friend Randal, 682XLR8 has done this with his LT1.... turned out great!!

gets the are from where i get it from
That would be me and here's a few pics of the CAI Paul is referring to

Took advantage of the space between the bulge in the hood and top of the radiator support. The unit seals against the bottom of the hood and is open in front

The CAI is made from aluminum and welded together

Test fitting before painting

Side view of the unit installed

This is on my 68 sb...I'm sure something could be made for the 82 though getting the MAF sensor to fit might be difficult. Check out K&N's website for different filter sizes and shapes
htown81vette (04-11-2016)
Old 10-16-2014, 07:25 PM
ezobens
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by 682XLR8

Took advantage of the space between the bulge in the hood and top of the radiator support. The unit seals against the bottom of the hood and is open in front

This is on my 68 sb...I'm sure something could be made for the 82 though getting the MAF sensor to fit might be difficult. Check out K&N's website for different filter sizes and shapes
Nice work!
So is this using a stock BB / LT1 style OEM hood?
I'm trying to picture the area that you have that can actually draw air from above the core support?
Seems there is maybe an inch or so space (height) if you remove the foam air dam? Is that enough?
I'm guessing this could be made to work with an OEM style rectangular air filter so you could perhaps put the MAF IN the box?

I'm installing a FIRST TPI intake on my 69' this Winter and am looking for ideas..
Old 10-16-2014, 08:01 PM
682XLR8
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ezobens
Nice work!
So is this using a stock BB / LT1 style OEM hood?
I'm trying to picture the area that you have that can actually draw air from above the core support?
Seems there is maybe an inch or so space (height) if you remove the foam air dam? Is that enough?
I'm guessing this could be made to work with an OEM style rectangular air filter so you could perhaps put the MAF IN the box?

I'm installing a FIRST TPI intake on my 69' this Winter and am looking for ideas..
Thanks

This is with the stock small block hood. If you remove the foam, air would be allowed to pass through into the engine bay and this is what I am using for an outside air source. Seems to be plenty of air to supply the motor(running a 383) with no noticeable change in engine temp since this is air that would otherwise flow through the radiator.
I have 15" between the front face of the throttle body to the edge of the rad support, I'm sure a flat filter and MAF could be squeezed in but keep in mind that TPI units set further forward than LT1-style intakes so that 15" may end up being more like 12-13"
Old 10-16-2014, 10:34 PM
ezobens
Drifting

Thanks

This is with the stock small block hood. If you remove the foam, air would be allowed to pass through into the engine bay and this is what I am using for an outside air source. Seems to be plenty of air to supply the motor(running a 383) with no noticeable change in engine temp since this is air that would otherwise flow through the radiator.
I have 15" between the front face of the throttle body to the edge of the rad support, I'm sure a flat filter and MAF could be squeezed in but keep in mind that TPI units set further forward than LT1-style intakes so that 15" may end up being more like 12-13"
I noticed that you have a plate style radiator-
Seems like that may give you a little more room to work with than the later cross-flow copper radiator?
I wonder if this concept would work equally as well in that scenario-
Thoughts?
Elm
Old 10-17-2014, 03:35 AM
c3_dk
Safety Car

Received 381 Likes on 294 Posts

Looking very nice, it would be nice to get some cold air into my 69 L46 engine.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:33 AM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

I question if a GTO Vararam over the radiator intake would, or could be made to, work. The only issue I see is the height of our core support and possibly the difference in depth from the radiator to the throttle body. I am half tempted to buy the GTO CAI just to see if it will be close enough to work.

Old 10-17-2014, 12:29 PM
682XLR8
Safety Car

I noticed that you have a plate style radiator-
Seems like that may give you a little more room to work with than the later cross-flow copper radiator?
I wonder if this concept would work equally as well in that scenario-
Thoughts?
Elm
You should be able to get something to work...can you post a pic of the top of the rad?

The rad I have is a DeWitt's Direct-fit with a Ford Taurus fan attached....I should also note that the original shroud and fan would not have allowed enough room

Originally Posted by fleming23
I question if a GTO Vararam over the radiator intake would, or could be made to, work. The only issue I see is the height of our core support and possibly the difference in depth from the radiator to the throttle body. I am half tempted to buy the GTO CAI just to see if it will be close enough to work.

This would save people a lot of fab work if it fit
Old 10-17-2014, 01:14 PM
Illegal Vette
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

You should be able to get something to work...can you post a pic of the top of the rad?

The rad I have is a DeWitt's Direct-fit with a Ford Taurus fan attached....I should also note that the original shroud and fan would not have allowed enough room

This would save people a lot of fab work if it fit
That air filter would never fit on mine.
Old 10-17-2014, 01:27 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Illegal Vette
That air filter would never fit on mine.
I don't know that the entire thing would fit anyone's C3 but, looking at your first post photo, I don't see why it is entirely impossible. The Vararam sits right at the edge of the radiator. On my LS swap, with the exception of the Corvette Power Steering reservoir, that is where I have the most room. My LS sits low, so low that you could not go straight out the front of the throttle body and even remotely expect to go over the core support. However, if there were a way to use this filter shield and put it on our radiator, or figure out a way to mount it to the core support, it isn't out of the question that you could make the connection to the throttle body and still have a MAF sensor in between the filter and TB. Even the Vararam instructions state that the filter & enclosure are designed to be mounted at an angle and that the connecting pipe is to be cut at an angle so that it mounts correctly.

Just throwing the idea out there. I imagine if it were that easy, someone would have already done it by now...Although, there is a black C2 or C3 that did nearly this very thing... I'll have to find the pictures. I think it was a CIC car.

Last edited by fleming23; 10-17-2014 at 01:36 PM.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:12 PM
Illegal Vette
Racer

I don't know that the entire thing would fit anyone's C3 but, looking at your first post photo, I don't see why it is entirely impossible. The Vararam sits right at the edge of the radiator. On my LS swap, with the exception of the Corvette Power Steering reservoir, that is where I have the most room. My LS sits low, so low that you could not go straight out the front of the throttle body and even remotely expect to go over the core support. However, if there were a way to use this filter shield and put it on our radiator, or figure out a way to mount it to the core support, it isn't out of the question that you could make the connection to the throttle body and still have a MAF sensor in between the filter and TB. Even the Vararam instructions state that the filter & enclosure are designed to be mounted at an angle and that the connecting pipe is to be cut at an angle so that it mounts correctly.

Just throwing the idea out there. I imagine if it were that easy, someone would have already done it by now...Although, there is a black C2 or C3 that did nearly this very thing... I'll have to find the pictures. I think it was a CIC car.

I appreciate the suggestion, and I can envision a wide narrow duct that would go over the top of the radiator and draw air from between the radiator and the condenser. Also, a card type MAF could be used easily enough. But I don't know where an air filter would fit in to this picture. I am however pretty intrigued by 682XLR8's solution, I might be able to work with something like that. As a few have pointed out, my vent intake may be problematic. I think I'll see if I can mock something up this weekend that appoximates 682XLR8's solution.
AirBusPilot (04-12-2016)
Old 10-17-2014, 08:14 PM
Illegal Vette
Racer

That's a pretty great idea you had there, I hope you don't mind if I try it with mine! I'm thinking of building a box similar to yours, but with a panel type or flat air filter, a card type MAF and it would draw air from over the radiator support and seal to the bottom to the hood the same as yours. I've just been looking at the space available and it looks doable to me. I'm glad you guys talked me out of the fender vent idea!

Last edited by Illegal Vette; 10-17-2014 at 09:05 PM.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:28 PM
682XLR8
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Illegal Vette
That's a pretty great idea you had there, I hope you don't mind if I try it with mine!
Nope, go right ahead my design is actually based on another forum members CAI for his LS motor except his was made from fiberglass and he used a filter similar to the one fleming23 posted

Here's a few tips to help get started:
Decide what material you want to use. I didn't use fiberglass because I hate sanding and considered using ABS at one point, even looked at youtube videos on how to form it in the oven but I decided on 1/8" 5052(the type that can be bent without cracking) aluminum since it was available and I had access to tooling to work it
Build a mock-up out of cardboard first then transfer the pattern to the material the CAI box will be made from
The weatherstripping I bought from McMaster-Carr, there's several different sizes and configurations to pick from
As I mentioned in another post, check out K&N's site, lots of different size filters to choose from

Have any questions just ask, I'll be happy to help....would like to see pix on what you come up with
Illegal Vette (02-23-2019)
Old 10-18-2014, 07:45 AM
Illegal Vette
Racer

Nope, go right ahead my design is actually based on another forum members CAI for his LS motor except his was made from fiberglass and he used a filter similar to the one fleming23 posted

Here's a few tips to help get started:
Decide what material you want to use. I didn't use fiberglass because I hate sanding and considered using ABS at one point, even looked at youtube videos on how to form it in the oven but I decided on 1/8" 5052(the type that can be bent without cracking) aluminum since it was available and I had access to tooling to work it
Build a mock-up out of cardboard first then transfer the pattern to the material the CAI box will be made from
The weatherstripping I bought from McMaster-Carr, there's several different sizes and configurations to pick from
As I mentioned in another post, check out K&N's site, lots of different size filters to choose from

Have any questions just ask, I'll be happy to help....would like to see pix on what you come up with
I'll do that! I started this morning by researching card type sensors, they have to be mounted in a tube and end up taking up as much space as my 5 wire MAF would so I'll just use it. I figure I can install it inside the box.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:22 AM
ezobens
Drifting

This is pre-EFI..
The aluminum 'L' bracket across the top holding the Mark VIII fan would need to be re-configured obviously but space otherwise- Thoughts?
Elm
Attached Images   
Old 10-18-2014, 01:08 PM
682XLR8
Safety Car

This is pre-EFI..
The aluminum 'L' bracket across the top holding the Mark VIII fan would need to be re-configured obviously but space otherwise- Thoughts?
Elm

I would start by measuring the distance between the rad support and the hood. I came up with an area about 15" wide and 1 1/4" at its highest point....your core support appears to be different from mine so you may come up with a different measurement
Old 10-18-2014, 11:45 PM
tektrans
Drifting

Received 314 Likes on 220 Posts

Thats what you want. Sealed airbox gets pressurized at speed (providing good flow to it) and thats what really makes a big difference between something that looks cool and something that functions well. VERY nice job imo!!

Get notified of new replies

To Cold air intake on my LS1 equipped '82=easy!

Old 10-19-2014, 08:39 PM
Illegal Vette
Racer

I did a rough mock-up today, here's a few pics.

It fits under with the hood closed and will take this air filter:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/knn-33-2081/overview/

The MAF should fit inside the box, I'll order the filter and see if my dimensions are correct.

Last edited by Illegal Vette; 10-19-2014 at 08:44 PM.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:10 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Interesting! What do you plan on doing with the flat filter or rather, how are you mounting it?

Getting my hopes up on this one....

Last edited by fleming23; 10-19-2014 at 09:13 PM.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:22 PM
Illegal Vette
Racer

Interesting! What do you plan on doing with the flat filter or rather, how are you mounting it?

Getting my hopes up on this one....
I'm going to put a flange in so the the filter will go in from the top and sit on the flange. I haven't decided how to hold it down yet, but it shouldn't be too difficult. Another flange to sit on top of the filter perhaps.

Quick Reply: Cold air intake on my LS1 equipped '82=easy!