C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

427 Tuning Help - Hard to Start/High Idle

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 01:08 AM
sumcollegekid
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Default 427 Tuning Help - Hard to Start/High Idle

Guys,

I've got a comp 274H 550/550 cam in a new 427 with 10.25:1 SCR that I've built. I'm keeping the original quadrajet which I've just had rebuilt/replated along with the original starter which I also had re-built. The car also has factory transistorized ignition.

The problem is that the motor is difficult to start most of the time. By this I mean sputtering out of the carb and fighting to get it to idle when it's cold or if the timing is not advanced enough. With the timing advanced it will start OK cold if you "nurse" 1/2 pumps to the throttle when starting. Once the car warms up I have a different issue, whereas the motor won't crank with the best timing for the best idle.

This motor seems to LOVE ignition advance in order to get a nice stable low idle, but the if the motor stalls it is IMPOSSIBLE to get it to crank without retarding the timing at the distributor. The initial timing I end up with after I get my 1000 RPM idle set is 12-15 degrees (no vac adv.). Total timing with the vacuum advance at 1100 is 30-32 degrees. My distributor vac advance is hooked up to the front driver side port which should be "ported" or 0" vacuum (I think) at idle yet I'm pulling 12-15" from this point. Do I need to go to manifold vacuum instead? This would suck because I'm gonna get hit for non OEM vac line routing at NCRS judging.

It's really frustrating to get everything set (seemingly) right, then turning off the car and the starter just can't turn it over.

Ideas?

Sum...

Last edited by sumcollegekid; 10-19-2014 at 01:18 AM.
Old 10-19-2014, 07:50 AM
Jamess411
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

The starter cannot turn the engine or it turns but will not start??
Old 10-19-2014, 07:52 AM
Jamess411
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

After you get it warmed up…will it idle by itself and perform well??
Do you have a choke on the carb and did you make sure it is closing when the engine is cold???

Get notified of new replies

To 427 Tuning Help - Hard to Start/High Idle

Quick Reply: 427 Tuning Help - Hard to Start/High Idle