C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

power brakes

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 08:23 PM
brazky75
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default power brakes

Love my new to me 73 corvette. The 75 I had that was totaled 8 weeks ago was a great car but it was a stock L48 auto. The 73 is a zz4 400 horsepower 4 speed vrooom vrooom. Now I have to upgrade the brakes because I'm used to power brakes but have manual now. So do all I need to do is add a booster?
Old 10-20-2014, 08:40 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Get a Hydroboost setup, vacuum sux, and you stand shark on it's nose, as yours goes into the steering wheel.....serious brakes, no anything like any vacuum system you likely to find.....
Old 10-21-2014, 12:33 AM
Frank_Nesta
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Hydro lost is a good choice if you have a power steering setup. But to answer your question is yes, a booster and maybe new brake lines from the master cyclinder.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:46 AM
PeteZO6
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

The PB master cylinder diameter is different, also, the clevis must be moved on the brake pedal lever.

The Corvette four wheel disc brake system was designed to be used without power assist. Why don't you drive it for awhile and see if you get used to it. My '69 doesn't have power brakes. I have three other vehicles with power brakes that I drive regularly. Driving the non-power assisted '69 is no problem, it brakes as well as the others, just a little more pressure on the pedal is all it needs.

Pete
Old 10-21-2014, 12:53 AM
Frank_Nesta
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by PeteZO6
The PB master cylinder diameter is different, also, the clevis must be moved on the brake pedal lever.

The Corvette four wheel disc brake system was designed to be used without power assist. Why don't you drive it for awhile and see if you get used to it. My '69 doesn't have power brakes. I have three other vehicles with power brakes that I drive regularly. Driving the non-power assisted '69 is no problem, it brakes as well as the others, just a little more pressure on the pedal is all it needs.

Pete
Hi Pete,
I did not know that the master cylinder was a different diameter. Thanks for the education.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:16 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Before you go to the trouble to "upgrade", is there any particular problem that might have lead you to diagnose your manual brakes as insufficient, or is this strictly based on personal preferences?

In any event, should you choose to follow thru I highly suggest that you have an AIM handy. ...and, I'd be happy to give your manual push rod a good home.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:32 PM
brazky75
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So l need the booster with the attached master cylinder a tubing cutter and flaring tool. Already have the aim came with the car. I like power brakes I like working on the vette I have all winter to do the upgrade to power brakes and other things like carpet,sound deading and heat shield.

Get notified of new replies

To power brakes

Quick Reply: power brakes