C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring for Ford Focus fans for my 1981

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 10:33 PM
Zero1Niner
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Wiring for Ford Focus fans for my 1981

Working on replacing my engine driven fan and original electric aux fan on my 1981 with a 2005 Ford Focus fan set (as others on the forum have done).

My question is about wiring. Can I tap into the wire harness that was used to power the original electric fan? Is that wire gauge enough to power one of the focus fans?
Old 10-20-2014, 11:06 PM
Patro46
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

I used the Focus fan setup as well. Mine are set up from the factory as a two speed, and are setup to where low speed operates BOTH fans on low, and high operates BOTH fans on high. I presume yours are the same. My LS swap pcm offers fan1 and fan2 control. If yours also has a fan1 and fan2 pcm control, you'll need to de-energize fan1 when fan2 comes on. Just takes 2 relays to make it happen. As far as can you tap the harness? I'd probably say no to power the fans and yes to power a new relay. Both those Focus fans running on high can draw up to 35-40 amps. I used a 40 amp auto reset circuit breaker and provided power via 8 gauge wiring from a battery junction. Yes 8 gauge. With 10, your only good for up to 30 amps, with a sustained load of closer to 24 amps. Sounds long winded but it might save you from future trouble

Last edited by Patro46; 10-20-2014 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Content
Old 10-21-2014, 12:47 AM
Zero1Niner
Racer

Originally Posted by Patro46
I used the Focus fan setup as well. Mine are set up from the factory as a two speed, and are setup to where low speed operates BOTH fans on low, and high operates BOTH fans on high. I presume yours are the same. My LS swap pcm offers fan1 and fan2 control. If yours also has a fan1 and fan2 pcm control, you'll need to de-energize fan1 when fan2 comes on. Just takes 2 relays to make it happen. As far as can you tap the harness? I'd probably say no to power the fans and yes to power a new relay. Both those Focus fans running on high can draw up to 35-40 amps. I used a 40 amp auto reset circuit breaker and provided power via 8 gauge wiring from a battery junction. Yes 8 gauge. With 10, your only good for up to 30 amps, with a sustained load of closer to 24 amps. Sounds long winded but it might save you from future trouble
Patro46,

That is a great reply. Any chance you would have some wiring diagrams on how you did it? My focus fans came wired with a temp sensor, but I wasnt planning on using that (wasnt sure what temp kicked on the fans), but maybe I should think again about that.

Seems like most have set up there focus fan setups as independent fans for redundancy. That was the main reason I went with the dual focus fans instead of the single taurus fan, but I am really interested in more details on how you did it.

I am playing with a goofy idea on how to mount my focus fans. Not 100% sold on this idea yet, but I kinda like how this is mounting so far, and also kinda like the way it has a 'factory like' look to it (attached are pics...dont laugh...if it turns out, I will fiberglass the openings to smooth everything out and make it look more original).

Anyway, if you have more details, Id love the help. Thanks again.
Attached Images     
Old 12-25-2014, 03:39 PM
Zero1Niner
Racer

If anyone is interested in more info on the focus fan install, check out this thread.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...the-cheep.html

There is a bunch more info on how it turned out.
Old 12-25-2014, 06:47 PM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

The original electric fan wires are heavy enough but you have to buy pass the thermostat switch to get the 12volts. Most people go off the alternator post.
Old 12-25-2014, 07:47 PM
Zero1Niner
Racer

Take a look at the wire diagram on that other thread. That was the setup I used. So far working great. I used the positive from the original electric aux fan to trigger the relay.

Get notified of new replies

To Wiring for Ford Focus fans for my 1981

Quick Reply: Wiring for Ford Focus fans for my 1981