C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

which intake and carburetor?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 06:51 PM
havesometo
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts
Default which intake and carburetor?

I'm about to put a blueprint 383 stroker in my 1980. It has a stock hood. I'm looking for a chrome intake and was wondering if you could recommend one that would fit under my
hood. Also can you recommend a nice 600 cfm carburetor and drop base air cleaner.
If you could post links for me to see them that would be great.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:49 PM
Flyinace3
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is what ive had On my 80' with a stock hood a edelbrock performer 2101 with a qjet and stock dual snorkel air cleaner
Edelbrock performer 2101 with a 1" spacer 650 double pumper and spectre air box
Current setup is edelbrock victor Jr 2900 with volley 650 double pumper and spectre air box. I have about 3/8 clearance left

Picture is with performer 2101 and 1" spacer.

I don't have the tubes hooked up yet because I'm still messing with the carb tuning.

Last edited by Flyinace3; 10-21-2014 at 08:52 PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 11:46 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Whats wrong with a polished intake? U can see my polished Edel Performer Air Gap in my avatar pic. Fits under the hood of my '74 with the stock aircleaner nicely. Looks great with my polished Edel water pump. I think u can purchase Edel intakes in an Enduro Shine (similar to chrome) and polished both. I believe u can purchase Holley intakes polished also.

Dont know why u want to run a 600cfm carb on a 383" motor. And why run a drop base a/c unless u need one? The drop base is for a hi-rise intake like the Edel RPM. Most catalogs have the intake dimensions for comparisons - i know Edel does.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:06 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

There are only two carburetors I'll put on any V8 I build:an M4ME Quadrajet or a Holley (DP or Vac Sec depending on the setup).
Old 10-22-2014, 05:02 AM
havesometo
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by cardo0
Whats wrong with a polished intake? U can see my polished Edel Performer Air Gap in my avatar pic. Fits under the hood of my '74 with the stock aircleaner nicely. Looks great with my polished Edel water pump. I think u can purchase Edel intakes in an Enduro Shine (similar to chrome) and polished both. I believe u can purchase Holley intakes polished also.

Dont know why u want to run a 600cfm carb on a 383" motor. And why run a drop base a/c unless u need one? The drop base is for a hi-rise intake like the Edel RPM. Most catalogs have the intake dimensions for comparisons - i know Edel does.
I called and talked to the technician at blueprint and he suggested the 600cfm carb. I should have said polished not chrome intake. I'm not a engine man when it comes to selecting the parts to put in it or on it. That's why I'm here asking.
Do you know if the Weiand Street warrior is any good. This is the link to the 383 I'm going to purchase. I would like your opinion on which intake and carb.

http://www.blueprintengines.com/inde...1-engine-specs
Old 10-22-2014, 12:44 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

The Street Warrior is a good intake. With the 195 heads and the cam that you have, I'd try to run a higher rise dual plane(Performer RPM), particularly if you intend to run a drop base air cleaner.

If you have the stock Q-Jet carburetor, I'd stick with that and get a Performer RPM Q-Jet to run it.

The money you saved on buying a carb could be put rebuilding the Q-Jet - with cash to spare.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:32 PM
tektrans
Drifting

Received 314 Likes on 220 Posts

I have a Holly Quickfuel 650 FS if you are interested.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:37 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

I think with your cam and compression a single plane would be a better match. I like the Weiand X-CELerator Intake #7547-1 for your car and engine. But its not polished - u need to find a another shop that has that service if u really need it. A 600cfm would work better on a single plane intake for your 383" but u could easily go with bigger carb and make more hp.
Now that large cam will be a little more tame with a dual plane intake but i feel its a bit of a mismatch as if u wanted to make less power u should have bought a lesser engine - duration under the 220 degrees @ 0.050" range.
If your shopping for a new carb i think Holley, Demon, the original Qjet, Summints own brand carb, Edelbrock has theirs also - all have something u can use with quality. Its the used and rebuilt carbs that are more suspect. That and u need a spreadbore intake for a spreadbore carb then of course a squarebore intake for a squarebore carb - note some intakes will bolt on both the spreadbore and the squarebore carbs. U need to match them up before purchase.

Hope this helps more than it confuses you. If u need to just drop us a note/post before u purchase.

BTW nice engine.

Get notified of new replies

To which intake and carburetor?

Quick Reply: which intake and carburetor?