C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wheel size question

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 08:27 AM
sgt kohler
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default wheel size question

I built a 57 chevy for my best friend of 43 years. I put dics brakes all around. he bought some American 5 spoke wheels to put on it. they are 15x7s with a 4 inch back space. they are polished aluminum and he lives by the gulf coast which makes for constant cleaning. hes tried all the products that are supposed to keep them shiney and have failed to work or hes just too lazy to polish them. hes going to get some chrome wheels and said he would give me the ones on the car. do you think they will work? I sure would like to have them. right now im running the stock rallye wheels on my 77. their ok but those spoke wheels would look good with my side pipes. thanks peter
Old 10-23-2014, 11:30 AM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,605 Posts

they are one inch narrower than stock and going to the manufacturers site with the exact model number, they have lots of 5 spoke wheels, maybe the best way to determine if they would fit.
www.americanracing.com
Old 10-23-2014, 08:29 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Originally Posted by sgt kohler
I built a 57 chevy for my best friend of 43 years. I put dics brakes all around. he bought some American 5 spoke wheels to put on it. they are 15x7s with a 4 inch back space. they are polished aluminum and he lives by the gulf coast which makes for constant cleaning. hes tried all the products that are supposed to keep them shiney and have failed to work or hes just too lazy to polish them. hes going to get some chrome wheels and said he would give me the ones on the car. do you think they will work? I sure would like to have them. right now im running the stock rallye wheels on my 77. their ok but those spoke wheels would look good with my side pipes. thanks peter
4" of backspacing will put them right where your 8" rally's are on the inside. Which will tuck the outside of the rim in the wheel well 1" further than your rally's currently are. If you can live with that, then go for it.

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 10-24-2014, 09:44 PM
my 76 ray
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

The other thing you need to check is whether the calipers will hit the spokes. You may need spacers to make them clear each other.

Get notified of new replies

To wheel size question

Quick Reply: wheel size question