C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new intake and valve cover question

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 04:59 PM
Tumblershawn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new intake and valve cover question

Continuing my meddling on what was a perfectly fine running 74 454....

Have removed valve covers and intake, and cleaned it all up. Was test fitting the Performer RPM and Edelbrock tall valve covers, two questions have come up.
First, the intake. In center of each head surface where the ports are, the middle port is a small square with a mustache type shape above and below. Dont have a pic of mine but found one out of a boat in the hinterweb so you can see the port im talking about.
When I fit new intake on, it does not cover top moustache opening. What gives? I didnt test fit the gasket, maybe that covers it? What is that port for? Mine was dry and dusty....

Valve cover question. So i like the tall valve cover look, and some day may put in a more serious set of roller rockers. Anyways, as you probably all know, the valve cover doesnt clear the brake booster. Its close, like if I bang the booster with a big enough hammer, i can probably squeeze it in, and then hope that the engine movement when under torque isnt an issue. Anyways, i know the booster can be removed if you arent concerned with that kind of thing, but I dont want to mess with anything that i dont have to. Interior tear down is a couple years away. And yes, even though i dont want to mess with things, i am ok with hitting them with a hammer as long as it doesnt affect driveability. So finally, that is the question. if i 'customize' the side of the brake booster with a big hammer, is it going to stop working??
For those of you that are cringing, sorry. I truly do love my car, honest. I have a multi-year restoration plan, and first step this year was to get the power plant up in the HP range to see if the car will hold together at the perfromance level I am looking for. I will fix the dents and such at some point down the road.
Thanks

S

seen best on right head, the center port, small square with 'mustaches' above and below is the one in question.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:48 PM
gerry72
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

You're fine on the manifold. That "mustache" is the heat riser passage. When the engine is cold and the heat riser valve on the exhaust restricts exhaust flow on the passager side of the engine, it forces hot exhaust gasses to pass through the center part (the square between the mustaches) to heat up the manifold to aid in keeping the cold fuel from puddling in the intake and causing rough running. The exhaust passes through the intake manifold and out the driver side head/manifold. The gas flow is only in the center. The upper mustache is a dead end.

As you the brake booster; are you nuckin futz? You will likely destroy the booster. There is a diaphragm in there bound to the sides of the metal housing. Even it you manage to clearance it enough to clear and you don't damage the booster, you are destroying what I'm assuming is a factory booster on a fairly desirable car to clear a set of aftermarket covers to clear a set of rockers that you might get someday.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:22 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

Gasket will cover up the cross over ports.

For Valve covers these will clear and allow roller rockers.

http://www.cfrperformance.com/CHEVY_.../hz-9504-t.htm
Old 10-24-2014, 06:25 PM
flyeri
Drifting

Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by ddawson
Gasket will cover up the cross over ports.

For Valve covers these will clear and allow roller rockers.

http://www.cfrperformance.com/CHEVY_.../hz-9504-t.htm
Exactly
Old 10-24-2014, 09:50 PM
Tumblershawn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ha!! I've been called worse!! I spared my booster, it was going to take too much whacking than seemed reasonable. Another set of covers is he path forward. Thanks!!!

Get notified of new replies

To new intake and valve cover question

Quick Reply: new intake and valve cover question