C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C Removal on a 80', electrical question

Old 10-27-2014, 09:37 AM
samdjr74
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default A/C Removal on a 80', electrical question

Hi All,

I tried a few searches but couldn't find an answer. I removed all of the plumbing and A/C parts from my 80' but what needs to be removed or changed on the electrical side? Obviously the A/C had wiring to make it work an probably has wires coming from the A/C to other parts of the car that may effect the way other things works (idle solenoid on the carb for A/C?)

I'm going to use the heater and defrost so the HVAC controls will still be used and I'd prefer to stick with the stock heater control valve which means in the summer I will set the HVAC control to Max A/C so the heater doesn't get coolant in it.

With that being said what should I do with the old A/C wiring?

Thanks,
Sam
Old 10-27-2014, 07:03 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Did you remove the evaporator case from the firewall????

A lot depends if your removed it off the firewall. It held your blower motor...and also other parts that make the speeds of your blower motor effective.

DUB
Old 10-28-2014, 08:06 AM
samdjr74
Racer

Hi DUB,

Good question. Yes I have removed the evaporator case from the firewall and it will be replaced with an AC Delete cover so I can still run a heating core and blower fan. So anything that deals with the heating system and fan are staying. As I mentioned I plan to reuse the vacuum heater control valve system as long as everything works correctly. I plan to test it tomorrow.

Thanks,
Sam
Old 10-28-2014, 06:05 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by samdjr74
Hi DUB,

Good question. Yes I have removed the evaporator case from the firewall and it will be replaced with an AC Delete cover so I can still run a heating core and blower fan. So anything that deals with the heating system and fan are staying. As I mentioned I plan to reuse the vacuum heater control valve system as long as everything works correctly. I plan to test it tomorrow.

Thanks,
Sam
Having the vacuum controlled hot water shut off valve is not a problem.

The problem(s) are going to be getting your blower fan to work on different speeds....because in the factory evaporator case holds the electrical part that allows this....and it needs to have air blowing on it to keep it from failing due to getting too hot. On cars with NO a/c...this part is made into the heater box on the inside of the car if my memory serves me correctly.

Not knowing what the delete cover looks like...it is hard to say any more.

DUB
Old 10-28-2014, 08:39 PM
samdjr74
Racer

I assume you are talking about the resistor that sits inside the case, if yes, the new cover has a place for that and will still have AIR circulating around it

This is the cover I went with.

http://acdelete.com/pages/68-82_Y-Body.htm

Originally Posted by DUB
Having the vacuum controlled hot water shut off valve is not a problem.

The problem(s) are going to be getting your blower fan to work on different speeds....because in the factory evaporator case holds the electrical part that allows this....and it needs to have air blowing on it to keep it from failing due to getting too hot. On cars with NO a/c...this part is made into the heater box on the inside of the car if my memory serves me correctly.

Not knowing what the delete cover looks like...it is hard to say any more.

DUB
Old 10-29-2014, 06:43 PM
DUB
Race Director

You are good to go...other than if you are wanting to remove wiring...which you will need to get a wiring diagram....and figure out what you do not need. Knowing that the wiring comes through the grommet behind the passenger valve cover area on the firewall....it will be up to you on how you want that area to look.

Also the solenoid for increasing the idle when the A/C is on is up to you and how you car to get that wire out or not.

For what it is worth...I myself would try to hide the wiring if at all possible so the next person who owns it might want to go back with the A/C. I know a new harness can be obtained. The reason I wrote this..I 'put things back to factory' numerous times...and in some cases the wiring or what-have you was not removed...which makes it a snap. Other times...it has been totally butchered..and is a really big pain in my backside to get correct again. I know it is your car and do as you wish (obviously)...just thought I would shed some light from another perspective.....for what ever that is worth.

DUB
Old 10-30-2014, 08:14 AM
samdjr74
Racer

Thanks!

I don't want to remove any of the wiring, I'm just wondering if anything needs to be terminated with a load to appease other systems. Meaning, if I remove the A/C and leave the old connectors open, will this impact any other system in the car? I know the A/C max setting shuts off the heater core valve and that when the A/C is on the solenoid on the carb makes an adjustment, but is there anything else I need to be mindful of and connect to something else?

Originally Posted by DUB
You are good to go...other than if you are wanting to remove wiring...which you will need to get a wiring diagram....and figure out what you do not need. Knowing that the wiring comes through the grommet behind the passenger valve cover area on the firewall....it will be up to you on how you want that area to look.

Also the solenoid for increasing the idle when the A/C is on is up to you and how you car to get that wire out or not.

For what it is worth...I myself would try to hide the wiring if at all possible so the next person who owns it might want to go back with the A/C. I know a new harness can be obtained. The reason I wrote this..I 'put things back to factory' numerous times...and in some cases the wiring or what-have you was not removed...which makes it a snap. Other times...it has been totally butchered..and is a really big pain in my backside to get correct again. I know it is your car and do as you wish (obviously)...just thought I would shed some light from another perspective.....for what ever that is worth.

DUB
Old 10-30-2014, 06:19 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by samdjr74
Thanks!

I don't want to remove any of the wiring, I'm just wondering if anything needs to be terminated with a load to appease other systems. Meaning, if I remove the A/C and leave the old connectors open, will this impact any other system in the car? I know the A/C max setting shuts off the heater core valve and that when the A/C is on the solenoid on the carb makes an adjustment, but is there anything else I need to be mindful of and connect to something else?
You should not effect any other systems of the car due to having the connectors disconnected.

You do not need to re-wire anything.

DUB
Old 10-30-2014, 07:32 PM
samdjr74
Racer

Ok,thanks!

Originally Posted by DUB
You should not effect any other systems of the car due to having the connectors disconnected.

You do not need to re-wire anything.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To A/C Removal on a 80', electrical question

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A/C Removal on a 80', electrical question