C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

solid turn signal dash light when head lights on??

Old 10-27-2014, 11:27 PM
jimkari
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default solid turn signal dash light when head lights on??

My left turn signal arrow on the speedometer comes on solid when I turn on the head lights. If I turn on the left turn signal it will flash. If the head lights are off, the left signal arrow will stay off unless I turn on the signal and then it will flash as expected. I did notice my front left side marker will not light with the head lights on. Thinking it might be the bulb, I swapped it with the right front marker, but get the same thing. The front left marker will flash when I turn on the signal, but not light with the head lights on. Any idea what might be causing the arrow to stay on solid with the head lights or running lights on and what might be keeping the left side marker light from coming on with the head lights, but work fine with the signal? I'm stumped.

Thanks for any advice.

Jim
Old 10-27-2014, 11:40 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by jimkari
My left turn signal arrow on the speedometer comes on solid when I turn on the head lights. If I turn on the left turn signal it will flash. If the head lights are off, the left signal arrow will stay off unless I turn on the signal and then it will flash as expected. I did notice my front left side marker will not light with the head lights on. Thinking it might be the bulb, I swapped it with the right front marker, but get the same thing. The front left marker will flash when I turn on the signal, but not light with the head lights on. Any idea what might be causing the arrow to stay on solid with the head lights or running lights on and what might be keeping the left side marker light from coming on with the head lights, but work fine with the signal? I'm stumped.

Thanks for any advice.

Jim
Ground on that socket.
Old 10-28-2014, 08:48 AM
jimkari
Racer

Interesting, thanks for the tip, I'll check it out.

Jim
Old 10-28-2014, 10:46 AM
jimkari
Racer

Should the front amber light be on when the running or head lights are on? Mine only come on when the turn signal is engaged.

Jim
Old 10-28-2014, 11:24 AM
MikeDs73
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Should the front amber light be on when the running or head lights are on? Mine only come on when the turn signal is engaged.

Jim
I had the exact same problem and it was the ground in the bulb socket up front. We took it apart, cleaned and reassembled the socket and it went away. You can unplug the entire turn signal wire and socket from the front harness and do it on a bench.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:38 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Jim
The side marker lamp only works with the signal. The front parking light works with the head lamps.
Old 10-28-2014, 12:44 PM
MikeDs73
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wombvette
The side marker lamp only works with the signal. The front parking light works with the head lamps.
Yes that sounds correct.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:37 PM
Flivver61
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

I had the exact problem you describe, based on another thread it was suggested to replace the short (approx 18") lamp extension harness that feeds this socket. Unfortunately you have to buy them in pairs at approx $50. Fixed the issue for me, works perfectly now. I had checked my ground first, to rule out that fix as it would have been cheaper.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:14 PM
jimkari
Racer

Thanks I check it out. I purchased brand new wiring harnesses, but maybe something not right.

I really appreciate the tips.

Thanks again,

Jim
Old 10-28-2014, 08:28 PM
jimkari
Racer

Guys thanks again for the great tips. Turns out I got lucky, it was just a bad running light bulb in the front. Once I replaced the one bulb on the front passenger side, both running lights came on and the turn signal arrow went out. Not really sure how they are all connected, but given the fact that some electrical troubles can really be a hassle to trace and diagnose, I'll take the easy fix any day.

Thanks again,

Jim
Old 03-30-2015, 04:51 PM
Jcpstrat
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 44 Posts

Default Another success story

This thread really helped me solve my slightly different problem and thought I'd post what worked for me.

Neither the driver side marker or parking light would work under any conditions. The driver side speedometer indicator stayed on when headlights were on.

I first checked for bad bulbs but they were OK. Then I checked for a ground problem and found no ground at Driver side parking light.

I unplugged that wiring harness and with an ohm meter determined that the open was inside the socket … wire leading to socket was OK. I expected to have to buy a pair of those wiring harnesses with sockets but first tried spraying Radio Shack contact cleaner into the socket area. I started getting contact … at first 3.5 ohms and then 2.7 but eventually got it down to zero. This fixed the driver side parking light but driver side marker still didn’t light.

After testing the other side marker socket for voltage, I figured out which wire should have 12v but wasn’t get anything on drivers side. As I traced the wire back to the harness I found a solder-less connection that had been made to spice that wire but it hadn’t be wrapped in anything and was corroded when I opened it up. The end coming from wiring harness was hot (12v), so I made a new connection (soldering and wrapping in professional black electrical tape), and everything is now working.

If the Radio Shack contact cleaner doesn’t hold up then I’ll be checking into the new wiring harnesses.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:46 AM
C376FL
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for any advice.

Jim
Hi jimkari, I have the same problem on my 76 as you have, except all my light work with the parking light are on. When I read your post lastnight I thought mine was going to be easy to check, so this morning I turned the parking light on the turn signal lit up and stead on. So I went around the car and all my light were on. I was hoping one would be out so then I could see what the problem was. Now I have no idea what to do next. Hope someone can help.
Larry
Old 04-03-2015, 11:50 AM
jimvette999
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by C376FL
Hi jimkari, I have the same problem on my 76 as you have, except all my light work with the parking light are on. When I read your post lastnight I thought mine was going to be easy to check, so this morning I turned the parking light on the turn signal lit up and stead on. So I went around the car and all my light were on. I was hoping one would be out so then I could see what the problem was. Now I have no idea what to do next. Hope someone can help.
Larry
Unplug the harness connections at all the marker lights, all 4 corners. Clean the connections really well using some spare spade connectors held by needle nose pliers (spray connectors with WD40 and push/pull them in and out of the existing connection to clean them). Then apply small amount of di-electric grease on the connections after they're cleaned. Recheck functionality.... usually a bad ground/continuity is the culprit. I would replace the bulbs also and add a small amount of same grease to their connections. Advance Auto sells the di-electric grease and the bulbs and the spade connectors and the pliers but not the beer.
Jim

Get notified of new replies

To solid turn signal dash light when head lights on??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: solid turn signal dash light when head lights on??