C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flaming River rack and pinion

Old 11-22-2014, 07:20 PM
cboyd
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by haydenray
cboyd,

Did you ever hear from Flaming River any explanation for the short part?

Ray
Yes, I gave them the measurement from tip to tip on mine, it was 40-1/2", the guy from F/R said it should be 41-1/2", maybe sent me the wrong passenger side inner tie-rod end installed in the kit. Even still, it would not have been long enough. The extender we made up works fine, the car handles great, no play and very responsive. hoping to get one more run in tomorrow before the snow flies. go back to work on Wednesday and will not get back in until the 24th of Dec, so i hope the snow stays away for another few days. Not much I could do with F/R, they say this unit has been on the market for 5 years now with no issues like I explained to them. Didn't want to remove the unit and send it back, I live in Newfoundland, Canada and the trouble, shipping cost and wait for a return unit was not worth it. They told be that all the racks are the same, it's just the cradle and the inner tie-rod end length are different. Over all, even with the header modification, I still think it was a great upgrade.
Clyde
Old 11-22-2014, 09:36 PM
haydenray
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Enjoy your last day of the year. My snowblower is already in use.

Ray
Old 11-23-2014, 10:55 AM
cboyd
Racer

Originally Posted by haydenray
Enjoy your last day of the year. My snowblower is already in use.

Ray
don't look like we are going to get out. It showed a little last night and the roads are still wet here today. Still have Monday and Tuesday. Fingers crossed.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:57 AM
cboyd
Racer

Originally Posted by 7t9l82
you may want to use a new pump in case there is any trash in the pump.
We flushed a litre of P/S fluid through the pump. Hoping that should take care of any contaminates.
Clyde
Old 11-09-2017, 01:51 PM
Merv Fedoruk
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flaming River Rack and Pinion issue

Originally Posted by cboyd
well we got the headers sorted out, had to bend and replace a section of #1 header tube,

This is with the tube cut off>

New pipe tacked in place.

welded header in place.

Shot from underneath.

[IMG]https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.corvetteforum.com-vbulletin/2000x2000/80-
img_2751_90473f7f5f0730b52eae4a76382b134 d2e447996.jpg[/IMG]

Everything runs smooth with no contact between headers and universal joints. HOWEVER, with the steering shaft centered according to Flaming River marks which I confirmed, the passenger side rod connecting the tie rod end to the R/P is approximately 2" short. Has anyone ran into this before or have a solution. I have been trying to contact Flaming River by their 1-800 number but it does not work. As of now I have been unable to contact them. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Clyde
I installed this unit on my 1967 Corvette. Have exactly the same problem with the passenger side tie rod to short. Talked to Flaming River numerous times with no results. Said that this unit has been installed in many corvettes with no problem.Finally talked to a supervisor there and he said he would send me an extension spacer to add to the rack. There is is an existing spacer about one inch in length but to short. This was about six weeks ago but no part has arrived. Will call again.
Merv
Old 07-09-2019, 07:53 PM
Roadworn
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by cboyd
Yes, I gave them the measurement from tip to tip on mine, it was 40-1/2", the guy from F/R said it should be 41-1/2", maybe sent me the wrong passenger side inner tie-rod end installed in the kit. Even still, it would not have been long enough. The extender we made up works fine, the car handles great, no play and very responsive. hoping to get one more run in tomorrow before the snow flies. go back to work on Wednesday and will not get back in until the 24th of Dec, so i hope the snow stays away for another few days. Not much I could do with F/R, they say this unit has been on the market for 5 years now with no issues like I explained to them. Didn't want to remove the unit and send it back, I live in Newfoundland, Canada and the trouble, shipping cost and wait for a return unit was not worth it. They told be that all the racks are the same, it's just the cradle and the inner tie-rod end length are different. Over all, even with the header modification, I still think it was a great upgrade.
Clyde
I have the same system, and my car is a bit twitchy. What alingnment specs did you end up with?
Old 07-10-2019, 11:20 AM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 518 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadworn
I have the same system, and my car is a bit twitchy. What alingnment specs did you end up with?
The problem with twitchy is usually over assist using the factory PS Pump. The corvette factory power steering pump has too much flow for the Flaming River rack (Mustang r&p)

if you have not replaced the flow control value in the power steering pump I would start there.

Here is the difference in the flow control value I used.

Left is the unit from turn-one.

See here for something like this.
https://www.turnone-steering.com/col...low-restrictor

As for alignment the other thing that makes twitchy is rear thrust angle, or caster front ( left vs right side ) is not in balance.

Also with most r&p steering you could add more caster to the front wheels. 5-6 degrees. This will require a change from the factory upper control arms to do this, or offset shafts.

Last edited by cagotzmann; 07-10-2019 at 11:21 AM.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:24 PM
Roadworn
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

I have the flaming River "variable" PS pump that came witn the Rack system. You would think they would supply a unit that plays well with their system. Not sure the science behind the Variable pump , I will have to look into that, and if you can valve it down.
For the front suspention I have SPC adjustable upper A arms, so adjustment is no issue.
current frontn is .25 camber castor is 6.5
rear .25 neg toe .125
Old 07-10-2019, 01:40 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

I have the flaming River "variable" PS pump that came witn the Rack system. You would think they would supply a unit that plays well with their system. Not sure the science behind the Variable pump , I will have to look into that, and if you can valve it down.
For the front suspention I have SPC adjustable upper A arms, so adjustment is no issue.
current frontn is .25 camber castor is 6.5
rear .25 neg toe .125
Then PS Pump won't be the issue. Its usually only a problem with the factory GM pump.

Do you have a print out of the alignment. I would check left side vs right side and most important check rear thrust angle.

DIY alignment or done at a shop ?
Old 07-10-2019, 02:05 PM
Roadworn
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by cagotzmann
Then PS Pump won't be the issue. Its usually only a problem with the factory GM pump.

Do you have a print out of the alignment. I would check left side vs right side and most important check rear thrust angle.

DIY alignment or done at a shop ?
proper one man alingment shop. he will do what ever I ask. cant find the print out , I just have my notes.
in addition to the SPC uppers I have Van steel 6 degree positive lower a arms. this was part of a coil over Kit I installed.
Old 07-10-2019, 02:52 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

proper one man alingment shop. he will do what ever I ask. cant find the print out , I just have my notes.
in addition to the SPC uppers I have Van steel 6 degree positive lower a arms. this was part of a coil over Kit I installed.
See if he will do a quick measurement only (complete print out) and see if the alignment is balanced left vs right side. Or you could take the car to any GM Dealership with an up to date alignment rack and do a measurement only.

My dealership does this for $30.00. complete with printout.

But twitchy I would guess left vs right side settings is not similar and the rear thrust is out, or the rear tailing arm bushing are moving around.
Old 07-10-2019, 03:17 PM
Roadworn
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by cagotzmann
See if he will do a quick measurement only (complete print out) and see if the alignment is balanced left vs right side. Or you could take the car to any GM Dealership with an up to date alignment rack and do a measurement only.

My dealership does this for $30.00. complete with printout.

But twitchy I would guess left vs right side settings is not similar and the rear thrust is out, or the rear tailing arm bushing are moving around.
Revise: Van steel lower a arms and SPC adjustable uppers.
I spoke with Flaming river and they said their variable PS pump at low RPM runs about 1000PSI then when RPM's reach around 2000 it lowers to roughly 300PSI. Their responce to the twitchyness was . The R&P system is very responsive and takes a little getting used to. Ok I'll buy that to a point.
I spoke with Van Steel as well. they suggested Rear .265 total toe.......... front: camber 1/2 Neg......... castor +7.5 ........toe front:.. .032 left and right with a total of .0625 and to make sure the front is symetrical.
They also said that the rack systems were not their favorite because of the exact problems iam having..ie: a ghost feel and dartyness. They believe the rack ratio is too agressive, So they opt for the Borgenson system.Noted points
Thnak you for your input, all good advice.
Iam leaving town for 4 weeks so this will have to wait till then.. I will check back after I get the alignment checked out again.

Last edited by Roadworn; 07-10-2019 at 03:20 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 05:53 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Revise: Van steel lower a arms and SPC adjustable uppers.
I spoke with Flaming river and they said their variable PS pump at low RPM runs about 1000PSI then when RPM's reach around 2000 it lowers to roughly 300PSI. Their responce to the twitchyness was . The R&P system is very responsive and takes a little getting used to. Ok I'll buy that to a point.
I spoke with Van Steel as well. they suggested Rear .265 total toe.......... front: camber 1/2 Neg......... castor +7.5 ........toe front:.. .032 left and right with a total of .0625 and to make sure the front is symetrical.
They also said that the rack systems were not their favorite because of the exact problems iam having..ie: a ghost feel and dartyness. They believe the rack ratio is too agressive, So they opt for the Borgenson system.Noted points
Thnak you for your input, all good advice.
Iam leaving town for 4 weeks so this will have to wait till then.. I will check back after I get the alignment checked out again.
Have a read here

https://www.turnone-steering.com/blo...him-kit-theory

Its the flow of the pump not the pressure, so find out what the flow rate of the pump is. When I changed the flow rate of my pump the feel ( light steering was improved ), I could still use less flow to match my C6 steering, but its much better than before the flow change.
The following users liked this post:
caskiguy (07-10-2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Flaming River rack and pinion