C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flaming River rack and pinion

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 03:21 PM
cboyd
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Flaming River rack and pinion

Well just received my Flaming River Rack and Pinion. The kit looks well built and the packing was well done. I checked all parts against the packing slip and everything was there. The u-joint is stainless as well as the steering rod. Two SS braided hoses from the pump to the rack were included. I did notice on the paperwork that if you don't use their pump, you void their warranty. No bid deal for me, our season is so short up here that the care will only get 4 months use next year and the warranty will be out anyway. Install will start tomorrow so I will keep you guys posted as to how it goes. The kit, shipping and border charges came to a total of $2375.00. Kit was $1650.00 plus shipping, $2027.00 cdn, and border charges and taxes were $348.00. Not a cheap add on but if it solves my steering problem, then it will be worth it.

Flaming River Rack and Pinion

Back view

Front view

Full kit
Old 10-30-2014, 09:05 AM
cboyd
Racer

Hey guys, has anyone done this install that may have some opinion or tips on what to expect. Pointers? Maybe get started this afternoon.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:14 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

I am just curious why you decided on the R&P versus the Borgeson conversion which many seem to like and looks to be a lot cheaper-just wondering?, not a reflection on your choice. I use my OEM box that was custom blueprinted/rebuilt and is terrific with no play but still has the 16:1 ratio obviously. If I ever decided to take the next step, I am most interested in the quicker steering of the borgeson/R&P units… Thanks
Old 10-30-2014, 01:01 PM
chevymans 77
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 105 Likes on 95 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06,'11,'13-'14,'16,'18,'19

you might try to do a search on this, its been done a couple of times with a few hurdles.
Old 10-30-2014, 02:35 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 574 Likes on 458 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

you may want to use a new pump in case there is any trash in the pump.
Old 10-30-2014, 04:09 PM
cboyd
Racer

Originally Posted by jb78L-82
I am just curious why you decided on the R&P versus the Borgeson conversion which many seem to like and looks to be a lot cheaper-just wondering?, not a reflection on your choice. I use my OEM box that was custom blueprinted/rebuilt and is terrific with no play but still has the 16:1 ratio obviously. If I ever decided to take the next step, I am most interested in the quicker steering of the borgeson/R&P units… Thanks
Really appreciate your input. Did some research a while ago here on the forum an got a variety of suggestions. I almost pulled the triger on the Borgeson after a close look at the steeroid R/P. wasn't really impressed with the Steeroid, the brackets look a litle thin. Nothing against anyone's choice each to their own I guess. I have a really tight fit with the side pipe headers and Edelbrock Vortec heads, seems to push the headers closer to the chassis, had to dent a few of them in for chassis clearence as well as for the stock power steering pump. Just really didn't want to take the chance. Borgeson is definitely a great unit. As far as the Flaming River goes, really liked the idea of an end steering unit. Thanks again.
Old 11-03-2014, 04:25 AM
StingrayLust
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Really looking forward to your install and feedback once you get it in. I too didn't like the look of the seemingly flimsy Steeroids setup, the FR looks like a much more solid piece.

It's on my "future enhancements" list.

Keep the pictures and updates coming!

Old 11-03-2014, 01:09 PM
GregS_72
Racer

Location: St Louis MO http://1972corvetterestomod.blogspot.com/
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

On my to do list as well to kill two birds with one stone... tighten up the steering and open up some space to get my hands on the big block easier.

What are your thoughts on VBP Rack Attack vs Flaming River?
Old 11-03-2014, 02:00 PM
nilocp
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a note on Steeroids.

I have a customer car with a Steeroids rack conversion. Joints are Flamimg River, so no issues there.

Rack is GM Saginaw. This is with the centre connector plate not an end rack. Condition was poor with alot of play. Apparently some play is normal and acceptable. Not to me! Rack has now been overhauled, much better.

I have had to manufacture new steering arms, RH 1in longer than LH. This was the only way to get equal travel side to side.

Turning circle is p*ss poor!
Adjustment of the column is very difficult to stop necking out of the joints. Maybe due to the headers on the Big Block?

I do not have much experience of your big V8s over here in the UK, but if I had to fit a power rack kit to a Corvette I would not use Steeroids! Unless they have improved

Colin
Old 11-03-2014, 02:39 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Originally Posted by nilocp
Just a note on Steeroids.

I have a customer car with a Steeroids rack conversion. Joints are Flamimg River, so no issues there.

Rack is GM Saginaw. This is with the centre connector plate not an end rack. Condition was poor with alot of play. Apparently some play is normal and acceptable. Not to me! Rack has now been overhauled, much better.

I have had to manufacture new steering arms, RH 1in longer than LH. This was the only way to get equal travel side to side.

Turning circle is p*ss poor!
Adjustment of the column is very difficult to stop necking out of the joints. Maybe due to the headers on the Big Block?

I do not have much experience of your big V8s over here in the UK, but if I had to fit a power rack kit to a Corvette I would not use Steeroids! Unless they have improved

Colin
I have heard much the same in general about the R&P conversions which is why I asked earlier about the Borgeson conversions since those that have them love Borgeson. I had my OEM box custom blue printed/rebuilt and it has zero play now but still has the GM 16:1 ratio that I wish was a little quicker-giant improvement in steering even when the cars were brand new though...
Old 11-04-2014, 10:00 PM
CWerner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I installed mine and it was straight forward. Mine is tied to a hydro boost and an ls3. I'm currently adding a Heist power steering control module to the unit to provide better feel. The is a low pressure design as compared to the competition. The heist control will allow me to dual in the feel I want. Right now at 70 mph it's too touchy.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:39 AM
cboyd
Racer

Well I got the old steering linkage out, worked like a dog trying the get at the bolts for the power steering pump. Those side mount headers sure take up a lot of space. So far the install hasn't been without issue. Had to open the holes a little at the top for the rack to clear my 7 qrt base pan. As soon as we put it in place we noticed that the steering shaft was much closer to the center of the car than the shaft for the old box, maybe no issue with regular headers, big issue with side mount headers. The steering shaft for the R/P is directly in line with #1 header tube. Had to cut #1 tube and now we have to re route it down to where the old box was. These are SS headers and now i have to order a piece of SS tubing, can't get a piece locally. I managed to get enough clearance to get the universal joints to work smoothly, really the steering column shaft should have been collapsed about 2" to get a better angle, but couldn't do that because then the #3 header tube is in the way of the intermediate shaft. Over all this is maybe a straight forward install if using regular headers that hug the engine, but I would not recommend it for side mount headers unless u a willing to do some customizing. I have taken pics that i will post once i get back from my hunting trip. I will keep u posted.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:54 PM
cboyd
Racer

well we got the headers sorted out, had to bend and replace a section of #1 header tube,

This is with the tube cut off>

New pipe tacked in place.

welded header in place.

Shot from underneath.

[IMG]https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.corvetteforum.com-vbulletin/2000x2000/80-
img_2751_90473f7f5f0730b52eae4a76382b134 d2e447996.jpg[/IMG]

Everything runs smooth with no contact between headers and universal joints. HOWEVER, with the steering shaft centered according to Flaming River marks which I confirmed, the passenger side rod connecting the tie rod end to the R/P is approximately 2" short. Has anyone ran into this before or have a solution. I have been trying to contact Flaming River by their 1-800 number but it does not work. As of now I have been unable to contact them. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Clyde
Old 11-19-2014, 04:56 PM
cboyd
Racer

A pic of the tie rod end.

Old 11-19-2014, 04:59 PM
cboyd
Racer

Originally Posted by CWerner
I installed mine and it was straight forward. Mine is tied to a hydro boost and an ls3. I'm currently adding a Heist power steering control module to the unit to provide better feel. The is a low pressure design as compared to the competition. The heist control will allow me to dual in the feel I want. Right now at 70 mph it's too touchy.
Did u run into any issues with the passenger side tie rod being too short.
Clyde
Old 11-21-2014, 08:34 AM
cboyd
Racer

well we sorted the tie-rod issue. I cut the threaded end off an old tie-rod, cut 3" off a set of old adjuster, slotted the adjuster, screwed the threaded end of the tie-rod in one end of the adjuster and welded it. Screwed one end into the inner linkage for the r/p, used thread locker to secure it and screwed the new tie-rod into the female end of the extender. Works fine. Took it out for a test run and the steering is very responsive, maybe a little too quick at high speeds. The steering does not return to center. Hope taking it to an alignment shop in the spring can sort this issue.
Thanks for all your input guys. This place is great.
Clyde

Last edited by cboyd; 11-21-2014 at 09:23 AM. Reason: add pics
Old 11-21-2014, 08:51 AM
Ragtop_Rob
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Nice rack!!

Care to share where you got those heat shields for those hooker pipes? That is the first one I have seen that I like as much as factory....

Get notified of new replies

To Flaming River rack and pinion

Old 11-21-2014, 09:16 AM
cboyd
Racer

Originally Posted by Ragtop_Rob
Nice rack!!

Care to share where you got those heat shields for those hooker pipes? That is the first one I have seen that I like as much as factory....
I think it was "Steelshields", a forum member does them. Think his user name is BancokDan, or BancokDean. Just do a google search for steelshields. I agree they are S.S and I think they look great with the Hooker S.S side mount exhaust.
C
Old 11-21-2014, 09:25 AM
Ragtop_Rob
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by cboyd
I think it was "Steelshields", a forum member does them. Think his user name is BancokDan, or BancokDean. Just do a google search for steelshields. I agree they are S.S and I think they look great with the Hooker S.S side mount exhaust.
C
THANKS I found them!! SWEEEET!
Old 11-21-2014, 08:59 PM
haydenray
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cboyd,

Did you ever hear from Flaming River any explanation for the short part?

Ray

Quick Reply: Flaming River rack and pinion