C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

no spark

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 10:51 PM
vette4plus3
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no spark

hey guys, im still working on the 81 project, im a little confused as of now. so far ive rebuilt the brake system and just replaced the engine harness and starter harness which were melted, and I removed a couple of jumper wires I found under the hood from the previous owner, before I bought the car it had no gas in it so we poured a little gas in the carb so I could see that it ran and it did. now that my harness is replaced I have a no start, I don't think I have a fuel issue because I poured some over the top again and that should at least get it to fire up, I have no spark, I checked for voltage to the pink batt connector on the distributor and I have power so I pulled a wire off and cranked it and I see no spark. does anyone have any ideas on what my problem could be since I saw the car run not long ago. is there a ground for the distributor that I should check for? and I unplugged the four prong connector to eliminate the ecm and still wouldn't start. please help??
Old 10-30-2014, 12:10 AM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

With everything hooked up? Try disconnecting the TACH at the distributor cap. Still no start, touch a 12v testlight to the TACH terminal and have someone crank the engine. If it flashes, that's telling you the pickup coil and module are good. No flash, check the pigtail from the pickup coil to the module or replace the module if the pigtail is good.
Old 10-30-2014, 12:16 PM
vette4plus3
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just checked and theres nothing connected to the tach connector, could that affect my spark? Im gna check to see if it flashes later when i have someone here with me, i guess this means it could only be the module or pickup coil if i have power the batt terminal? Do u happen to know if i need to check for a ground? And what module r u referring 2 the ecm? Thanks for the help

Get notified of new replies

To no spark

Quick Reply: no spark