C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

camshaft replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 09:26 AM
bwellisley
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default camshaft replacement

so, recently i discovered a noise...i found that the lobe&lifter on #2exhaust has failed...WTF?!?!?! I'm currently waiting for Federal Mogul/CarQuest to advise if they will be providing replacement parts

However, if they don't I want to put in a new cam/lifters/rockers. suggestions??? THANKS!

i had a CS-179R performance cam, i liked the amount of lope and power. is there something similar out there in a great brand that won't break the bank? i'd need a kit to include all the "required" replacement parts. i'll be doing this "in-car" as well.

my car's engine is "period correct" for a 327ci/350hp 1968 no pwr steering/ac/brakes with the following:
1969 350 block
1970 heads 2.02/1.67 dbl hump
1968 intake
1968 q-jet 4bbl
hei distributor

i've got about 9.6:1 CR

THANKS!!!
Attached Images  
Old 10-30-2014, 09:38 AM
68post
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

You may very well want to pull the oil pan and inspect some main and rod bearings, but this won't show you metal embedded into the cam bearings or cylinder wall scratches.

You need some discovery of why this may have happened to prevent a future re-occurrence.

Fresh build , or high mileage engine ?
Will you be using a flat tappet setup again ?
Old 10-30-2014, 09:57 AM
bwellisley
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 68post
You may very well want to pull the oil pan and inspect some main and rod bearings, but this won't show you metal embedded into the cam bearings or cylinder wall scratches.

You need some discovery of why this may have happened to prevent a future re-occurrence.

Fresh build , or high mileage engine ?
Will you be using a flat tappet setup again ?
Yes, I was planning to do that, and to use same flat tappet
Also, to use more zinc during the break-in than before...?
Old 10-30-2014, 10:58 AM
68post
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Hard to find a larger brand name than Federal Mogul. As far as a similar grind in a different brand - the one you used has gentle ramps compared to a more modern grind , making "break-in" and a longer life easier to achieve.

Consider an expensive upgrade to a roller !?
( expensive compared to your last cam/lifter setup - NOT compared to a complete rebuild because of cam failure)

Maybe a Comp Cams nitrated "Nostalgia" cam and GM Delphi #817 "hardface" lifters ( Straub Technologies stocks these lifters, & they are a bargain at his price) ?

There are some other options such as adding an oiling groove in each lifter bore or an EDM oil hole thru the lifter foot.
Old 10-30-2014, 12:00 PM
StraubTech
Drifting

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

The OEM's do not produce flat tappet engines anymore. We don't enjoy the QC that we did for decades on these parts. Warehouse and engine builders cringe at flat tappet cams anymore.

If you are keeping this car I would highly recommend spending the money now and up grading to a hyd roller kit. Longterm you will have more power and more driving miles.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:04 PM
larrywalk
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

The specs on that CS179R cam are those of the highly regarded 327/350 horsepower cam. If you want more, the Nostalgia Plus version uses 2 degree tighter lobe centers and about 7 to 10 degrees more duration at .050.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:05 AM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Without knowing your trans or rear gears my best guess for a full cam kit with vlv springs and even a timing set would be an COMP Cams Xtreme Energy Cam and Lifter Kits K12-238-2. $304 at Summit: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cc...FcNQ7AodczYAcw.
Or just cam, lifters and timing set at Jegs for $208: http://www.jegs.com/i/Comp+Cams/249/...FTMQ7AoduEgA5w.

Good luck and let us know how things work out.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:00 AM
L88Plus
Drifting

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

"If you are keeping this car I would highly recommend spending the money now and up grading to a hyd roller kit. Longterm you will have more power and more driving miles."

Unless you enjoy all the trouble and cost of replacing flat tappet cams with flattened lobes, you should really consider Straub's advice. In addition, now that you've had this incident happen to you, the possibility of it happening again will always be in the back of your mind, every time you drive it...or even look at it, for that matter.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:43 AM
StraubTech
Drifting

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

I have shop in CA that has a customer with a very extensive muscle car collection. Around 70 cars. Over the last 3 years we have converted about 15 of the to hyd roller cams as this customer's customer drives these cars. Sound is duplicated, performance is improved.

Get notified of new replies

To camshaft replacement

Quick Reply: camshaft replacement