C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dash Pad Repair

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 09:42 AM
Jcpstrat
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 44 Posts

Default Dash Pad Repair

While cleaning dash, I went thru the speaker grille. Apparently the sun & age has taken it's toll and the grille area was VERY fragile. (See pic)

I've seen some other threads about repairing cracks in the dash and not sure they would work on the grille area ... things like vinyl repair kits, vinyl repair services, a "dash skin" or a whole new dash pad. Dash is perfect except for this.

Anyone have knowledge or thoughts on how any of these would work on the speaker grille areas? Thanks

Old 10-31-2014, 06:44 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Time for a new dash pad. This would be like trying to put 'Humpty Dumpty' back together again.

IF I were to do this repair...and that is a REALLY BIG IF...it would end up costing more than new dash pad...and still could break due to being so brittle.

DUB
Old 10-31-2014, 07:05 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,138 Likes on 2,069 Posts

If you can find one reasonably $$$

Well, you've got nothing to loose....

Depending on how perfect you want it to be is:

I've never seen anyone have much luck with those repair kits (except the people on the commercials who seem to be better than we are)

Since the areas where the piece and the dash connect are small, you might get away with trying to re-attach that piece. I'd try crazy glue gell (the one for foam/wood/etc) and carefully put the pieces back in, one section at a time. I'd then add a screen or something along those lines to the inside to add some strength to the area. A dusting of vinyl dye could help blend in the reworked area.

Here's a thread from a while back about the overlays, I used a skin but I don't think they are available anymore

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...n-overlay.html

HIH
M
Old 10-31-2014, 07:17 PM
kjbuster1
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Dash pad

Originally Posted by Jcpstrat
While cleaning dash, I went thru the speaker grille. Apparently the sun & age has taken it's toll and the grille area was VERY fragile. (See pic)

I've seen some other threads about repairing cracks in the dash and not sure they would work on the grille area ... things like vinyl repair kits, vinyl repair services, a "dash skin" or a whole new dash pad. Dash is perfect except for this.

Anyone have knowledge or thoughts on how any of these would work on the speaker grille areas? Thanks

I think if I had the pad out like you do I would replace it. However, I have had good luck repairing cracked vinyl with a two component cement called PC-7. It is dark grey in color. I'd use it to piece in the broken section and then to reinforce the speaker perforations on both sides of the pad.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:41 PM
blue by you
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 91 Posts

you can make new covers for both side and dye or paint them to match
Old 10-31-2014, 08:28 PM
Jcpstrat
Racer

Thanks everyone for replies/suggestions.

DUB & kjbuster1 … I’m seriously thinking of your suggestions of a new dash pad. Pricing both a new Dash and a CAP shows the new Dash will be about $136 more than a CAP and I want to make sure it looks and fits right.

Mooser … the grille area is like a very light, brittle foam. Doesn’t appear to be plastic unless the sun and heat did something to it. That large piece just crumbles around the edges when I fool with it. I checked out your link and the one pic from oledave60 looked GREAT for a cover but other’s seemed to have more issues with fitting there’s in. Thanks for link.

blue by you … not sure I understand what your suggesting! Are you talking about making covers for just the speaker grilles?

Anyway I’m going to think about all this over the weekend and then pull the trigger.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:41 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

We have a sale going on right now.. email us direct for info on discount coupons.. specialoffer@willcoxcorvette.com

http://willcoxcorvette.com/product_i...ducts_id=11347
Old 10-31-2014, 09:59 PM
401KVette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Let's Goop it:

If you are really trying to save money, or you just want to keep it all original with it's original interior items, you could Goop it. Since you have it off you could Goop it from the backside to hide it. If you have never used this stuff before it is great. I use it on almost everything I need to glue from shoes to a tear in the vinyl seat of my old truck. It dries clear and flexible. It's reminds me of clear silicone but I find it holds much better and unlike clear silicone it won't go bad in the tube. Also if the rest of the speaker grill is weak, you could reinforce it from the back side. Just spread it around.If your speakers play you would have to be careful not to stop up to many holes, and those you do you could open them back up. On the topside I'm sure you might still see some hairline cracks and maybe touch that up with some dye. You can get the Goop at Walmart or just about any hardware store. Which ever way you go, Good Luck.

Last edited by 401KVette; 11-01-2014 at 12:23 AM.
Old 11-01-2014, 11:07 AM
Lakeside49
Burning Brakes

Received 348 Likes on 192 Posts

Good post. You've definitely been presented with options that include the three B's (Best, Better ...and Bubba).

You'll never regret doing it the quality way. These cars deserve the love.
Old 11-01-2014, 11:19 AM
Jcpstrat
Racer

Thanks 401Kvette & Lakeside49 … ironically the post just above 401Kvette’s, with their weekend special of 15% off, is the best deal I’ve found for a new pad so I’m going to jump on it.

401Kvette … there’s actually some small pieces that are missing and the darn thing is SO brittle/fragile and don’t want to go through this again. Really it didn’t take much to destroy that area and although the other side looks fine I bet it’s the same thing. I’ll keep your tip about Goop in mind if I run into another situation where that might help.

If anyone wants my old dash pad to fool with it’s yours if you pay the shipping or come and get it.

Thanks again everyone for your input … it’s all been great. JP
Old 11-01-2014, 06:18 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by blue by you
you can make new covers for both side and dye or paint them to match
I would like to see that done! I honestly think that would be a big waste of time. New dash pads are not that expensive.

Thanks 401Kvette & Lakeside49 … ironically the post just above 401Kvette’s, with their weekend special of 15% off, is the best deal I’ve found for a new pad so I’m going to jump on it.
SMARTY DECISION...mainly because the dash pad caps are just a cheap fix.

DUB
Old 11-01-2014, 07:01 PM
401KVette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

401Kvette … there’s actually some small pieces that are missing and the darn thing is SO brittle/fragile and don’t want to go through this again. Really it didn’t take much to destroy that area and although the other side looks fine I bet it’s the same thing. I’ll keep your tip about Goop in mind if I run into another situation where that might help.

If anyone wants my old dash pad to fool with it’s yours if you pay the shipping or come and get it.

Hey, Bubba here. I guess that's me. LOL If the condition is that bad I would definitely go with a new one. I brought up the Goop for the reasons stated, plus I didn't know if you were a hard core Survivor Vette owner. Good luck with the project..
Old 11-06-2014, 10:36 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Thank you for the order..

Willcox
Old 11-07-2014, 08:55 AM
Jcpstrat
Racer

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
Thank you for the order..

Willcox
Thanks for letting me know of your special ... I ordered it Saturday and received it yesterday ... looks perfect and I really like that it has all the clips & brackets already attached so I don't have to transfer anything.
Old 11-07-2014, 11:24 AM
MrJlr
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Get the new pad from Wilcox and be done.

It's a Corvette, not a Toyota

Edit: didn't read the last couple of posts. Good decision.
Old 10-01-2016, 10:47 AM
sakins.02vert
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Guys, My dash pad is in decent shape.. however, the driver side speak is pushed in a little, cracked. I think if I can get underneath I can lightly push it back in position and goop it.. What do I have to do to get access to underneath the driver side dash pad speaker to do this? Thanks
Old 10-01-2016, 12:02 PM
mardyn
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Mine was cracked slightly in the speaker perforations as well... I put some black screen material on the bottom side with weather strip adhesive to hold it all in place.

It's not perfect, but looks pretty good unless you're right on top of it.

mardyn

Get notified of new replies

To Dash Pad Repair

Old 10-01-2016, 12:49 PM
sakins.02vert
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Mardyn.. how did you get access underneath? Did you have to remove anything?
Old 10-01-2016, 01:04 PM
mardyn
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

I had the dash pad out while repairing some other issues hidden beneath... I used lots of aluminum sheet and epoxy repairing brittle/broken stuff behind the dash panels.

mardyn
Old 10-01-2016, 06:08 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by sakins.02vert
Thanks Mardyn.. how did you get access underneath? Did you have to remove anything?
YES...the dash pad needs to be removed. There will be literally no way for you to comfortably work on it with it in the car.

DUB