C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

removing the TA's and spindle on a 81

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 12:44 PM
chrisNY
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default removing the TA's and spindle on a 81

ok so after my broken spindle fun, now I have most of the rear off, the broken side of course came off fairly easy, well as easy as pulling teeth but that's ok I expected that. now where I am having the most fun lol, how to get a no broke spindle out of the trailing arm, and removing the trailing arms themselves, I got the castle nuts off, but the bolts for the TA's will not budge, and the spidle I have the castle nut off but get that to budge from the arm as well, I don't want to destroy the spindle trying to get out, any ideas or suggestions would be great, thanks
Old 10-31-2014, 01:31 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,605 Posts

the spindle is removed with a press but why are you trying if you are also removing the TA, the TA bolts large hammer and punch, heat, or cut
Old 10-31-2014, 02:27 PM
chrisNY
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am trying to get the assemble out because I want to just replace the assemble not the entire TA, but I am going to pull the TA to blast it and powder coat or paint it and replace the bushing, the passenger side spindle broke so that side was easy, except getting the TA out everything else I got out, but removing the assemble on the drivers side is good practice of how I am going to replace it
Old 10-31-2014, 02:50 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,605 Posts

as was described on your post on the General Forum you need special tools for the spindle removal, bearing setup, and install better off to have a pro do it correctly.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:35 AM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Getting the TA out of some of these cars is a real PITA, I got lucky and mine came right out. You will need a Sawzall and plenty of blades.You have to get in there between the TA and the frame and cut the bolts out because they are rust welded to the sleeve in the bushing.
Remove the shims first, that will give you a little room to work.
Old 11-02-2014, 06:22 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by MelWff
as was described on your post on the General Forum you need special tools for the spindle removal, bearing setup, and install better off to have a pro do it correctly.

DUB
Old 11-03-2014, 11:38 PM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 312 Posts

All the major Vendors sell rebuilt Trailing Arm assemblies for a reason. because its a project that's beyond the average home mechanic. Just the Cost of the necessary Tools let alone the knowledge to do it makes it not worth the bother to most. Its not that hard to get the bearing assembly out of the trailing arm itself, so you have the option not exchanging the arms themselves, which will save some shipping. the late C3's 80-82 are supposed to have lighter trailing arms, but this has never been proven. They also use a different Axel Flange to 1/2 shaft so don't get that mixed up.

Get notified of new replies

To removing the TA's and spindle on a 81

Quick Reply: removing the TA's and spindle on a 81