C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Probably a stupid radiator question but I'll ask...

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 12:35 AM
finallygotit
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Probably a stupid radiator question but I'll ask...

Got a new radiator and want to install this dual spal fan shroud. I have the metal straps for securing it.

Wondering if I and drill into the very top of the radiator. I do not believe the tubes go that high.

What I have:

Can I tap into the top and bottom lips?

Thanks in advance for not flaming me too hard!
Old 11-01-2014, 01:57 AM
tektrans
Drifting

Received 314 Likes on 220 Posts

You dont have to drill into the radiator to mount the fans I definitely wouldn't do that.
I'm not familiar with those straps but what you could do is get some 2" wide aluminum stock from Home depot or lowes and bend up a few "C" brackets. 2 is good-4 is better and bolt them to the fans using the existing holes. The C brackets will keep them in place.
Old 11-01-2014, 02:00 AM
tektrans
Drifting

Received 314 Likes on 220 Posts

This is an old pic when I first bought the car but you get the idea about the brackets, see how they bend over the rad. Its the same on the bottom. I only have 4 cause they are wide but you can make something similar very easily.
Old 11-01-2014, 07:39 AM
Patro46
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Uhh....

My vote is no.UNLESS you know what you are doing. The mere fact that you posted the question tosses a red flag. I don't however think the metal piece at the top your speaking of is connected to the coolant area. Lots of ways to mount it and still have it looking good. My build thread at DC goes into quite a bit of detail on mounting options using what you have on the car to work with. Good luck. Nice looking fans BTW!
Old 11-01-2014, 06:37 PM
finallygotit
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Much thanks - after seeing your thread I decided to see what the existing setup would give me. Turns out the straps went right to the top brackets and I only had to put bolts on the bottom of the radiator frame!

Get notified of new replies

To Probably a stupid radiator question but I'll ask...

Quick Reply: Probably a stupid radiator question but I'll ask...