C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1979, No electrical power in the car HELP Please

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 10:12 PM
wayneinvirginia
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Default 1979, No electrical power in the car HELP Please

Uncovered my '79 for a drive, she started right up and performed fine on a short drive with a couple stops. I went out in the evening to put up the windows and put the cover on and the battery was dead. I recharged the battery and put it back in the car but now it is as if there absolutely no power going to the car, no courtesy lights, no clock, no ignition, nothing. My voltmeter shows 12.5 volts in the battery. There has never been any indication of electrical issue prior to this.

Can anyone point me in a direction for what to look for?
Old 11-01-2014, 10:29 PM
kschulen
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would start by checking the ground wires and the fuses. Could have popped something.
Old 11-01-2014, 10:30 PM
kschulen
Instructor

I can send you some electrical diagrams too if needed as I too have a 79
Old 11-01-2014, 11:59 PM
SharkAttack
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Strange, I had almost the same thing occur to me today in my 70 restored vert. Started fine, backed it out the garage and it sat out for a little while. Went to take it for a drive, no courtesy lights or clock (it works) or radio or lights or electric fuel pump or anything else, but horn worked. Charged battery (from 80% to 100%), checked battery cutoff, all harnesses were replaced by prior owner during restoration, no power to 'batt' post on fuse block, still nothing. Pushed it in the garage, suddenly everything works. Guess I have a loose ground or main positive connection somewhere. Check your main connections to the fuse block and primary grounds.
Old 11-02-2014, 12:37 AM
kschulen
Instructor

Originally Posted by SharkAttack
Strange, I had almost the same thing occur to me today in my 70 restored vert. Started fine, backed it out the garage and it sat out for a little while. Went to take it for a drive, no courtesy lights or clock (it works) or radio or lights or electric fuel pump or anything else, but horn worked. Charged battery (from 80% to 100%), checked battery cutoff, all harnesses were replaced by prior owner during restoration, no power to 'batt' post on fuse block, still nothing. Pushed it in the garage, suddenly everything works. Guess I have a loose ground or main positive connection somewhere. Check your main connections to the fuse block and primary grounds.
These cars are so temperamental at times no matter how much we fix them up....lol
Old 11-02-2014, 08:14 AM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Fuse links are at the starter, something loose or burned is the usual culprit.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:21 AM
wayneinvirginia
Drifting

Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Thanks for the replies. After doing some searches I am thinking maybe one or more of the fusible links. I am not near the car this week but I will check it this weekend.

Last edited by wayneinvirginia; 11-02-2014 at 07:34 PM.
Old 11-02-2014, 10:29 AM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

There are two fuse links at the starter on the 1979 and one between the alternator and the fuse panel connection.
Old 11-02-2014, 12:26 PM
SH-60B
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 162 Posts

If it is a fusible link you need to find the short that melted it, or it'll just melt again.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:05 PM
SharkAttack
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by SharkAttack
Found the source of mine today. Where the wires go into the back of the fuse panel, the primary power wire was just a little loose and slightly pulled out. When I pushed it back into the rubber molding, everything turned on. The first and subsequent intermittent disconnects were from me re-routing hoses and zip tying wires in that area.
Old 11-13-2014, 07:58 PM
wayneinvirginia
Drifting

Cruise-In VIII Veteran

I want to thank everyone for their help. It turned out to be one of the fusible links at the starter. I wired in a new link and everything is back to normal.
Old 11-17-2019, 04:42 PM
heartofdixieland03
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fully charged battery but no power

I have a 79 corvette that was already a project car but it ran good and nothing was wrong with it. It’s been sitting in a shed for around 7 years and hasn’t been started or anything. When I hooked a battery up to it it was fine, only got it started and running two times. But here recently it seems like the battery drains quickly from a hundred to 54 in one week (that’s what it read this morning). Nothin will come on, no lights, no volt gauge, no nothing. Nothing will power on. It will every now and then and it’ll be fine but other times the lights will come on then go dead. I’ll also add when they come on and I try to roll the window down the whole thing goes dead. I melted one of the fusible links but zip tied back together and no problems. PLEASE HELP!!!!
Old 11-17-2019, 05:17 PM
interpon
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,023 Likes on 1,550 Posts

Originally Posted by wayneinvirginia
I want to thank everyone for their help. It turned out to be one of the fusible links at the starter. I wired in a new link and everything is back to normal.
is it easy? Just cut and splice/ solder?
Old 11-18-2019, 10:52 PM
heartofdixieland03
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by heartofdixieland03
I have a 79 corvette that was already a project car but it ran good and nothing was wrong with it. It’s been sitting in a shed for around 7 years and hasn’t been started or anything. When I hooked a battery up to it it was fine, only got it started and running two times. But here recently it seems like the battery drains quickly from a hundred to 54 in one week (that’s what it read this morning). Nothin will come on, no lights, no volt gauge, no nothing. Nothing will power on. It will every now and then and it’ll be fine but other times the lights will come on then go dead. I’ll also add when they come on and I try to roll the window down the whole thing goes dead. I melted one of the fusible links but zip tied back together and no problems. PLEASE HELP!!!!
Fixed. It was a loose connection with the fusible link where I zip tied them together. Just twisted them together and everything’s back to normal

Get notified of new replies

To 1979, No electrical power in the car HELP Please

Quick Reply: 1979, No electrical power in the car HELP Please