C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

81 wipers won't work

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 12:09 AM
Brians1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Default 81 wipers won't work

Guru's - Need some assistance here....

Wipers will not work at all, and here is what I have done to troubleshoot so far:

1. bench tested the motor - when I put power to it - it turns over no issues
2. replaced the relay - there is a relay behind the pass seat (see image * removed relay so I could take the pic)
3. I pulled the switch out of the dash and did the cleaning via Willcox paper - it needed it !
4. I replaced the wiper fuse in the fuse panel

I got out my trusty test light and placed the key into the "acessory" position..i.e the radio comes on and the fan blows

I get power to the wiper fuse in the fuse panel
I do NOT get any power readings from the connector to the wiper switch..Should I (see image - I tested A-F)? does the car have to be running too get power to the switch? I want to make sure I tested correctly as I just cleaned the switch but I did not start the car and I did not put the dash back together yet incase I have to get a new switch

Thanks - Brian

Name:  IMG_6745.jpg
Views: 1387
Size:  57.6 KB

Name:  IMG_6746.jpg
Views: 1497
Size:  51.7 KB
Old 11-09-2014, 03:27 AM
DZRick
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know if you bench tested per Willcox's video, if not you really should.
You will find the switch makes and breaks the grounds to your motor controlling the speeds.

Old 11-09-2014, 09:56 AM
Brians1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

DZRick - to answer your question, Yes, I bench tested just as the video and paper from Wilcox suggested, I get a Pass there on the results.

I went out to the garage this morning and started the car to see if I got power to the switch, same results...however I do get power when I turn on the headlights (i.e the bulb in the wiper switch gets power).

So I then decided to pop the hood and I pulled the power connector to the wiper motor (the 3 wire pigtail - RED|Yellow|white or green - its faded) with BOTH key off as well as in the Accessory and running position (i.e motor on)..i get No power to the 3 wire pigtail via a test light....

Does this mean I may have that notorious intermentit module failure and I need to somehow "jump" or bypass the relay connection so I get get power back to the system? I know I have seen a jumper for 24 bucks or so at Ecklers, etc. but Im not sure what it does, is there a way I can make a homemade jumper to test and see if I need to buy the actual one?
Old 11-09-2014, 01:13 PM
Brians1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Ive been doing some research and I think I need to bypass the intermittent relay and see if I can get the wipers to power up....since its Sunday and i can't just run out and get one from AutoZone..does anyone know what wires I need to Jump so I can test this out??

Got an Image to help / do a stare & compare ?
Old 11-09-2014, 02:57 PM
Brians1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

ok guys - a new update....progress I think.

I determined that the wiper motor is not getting power (and all fuses and relays are new and good). I decided to bypass the 12v input by applying 12v from a know source that works. When I first did this the relay behind the pass set was buzzing....i found this to be because I didn't have the wiper switch connected to the dash harness, once I connected it back buzzing went away...and....whola....applying 12v from a new source the wiper's run !

But....they won't turn off ! LOL - does this mean my switch really is bad??? Or is my test a false positive?
Old 11-09-2014, 06:07 PM
Brians1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

ok...Ive done more digging into why no power going to the wiper motor.
I looked at my shop manual and it stated that there in an in-line fuse "near the fuse panel" * see attached image.

So what I did was I searched and this is what I found (see image). It has Dark green, orange, and black wires in it. The relay I pulled from it may not be operational as I took my Ohm meter and I can only get ohm's to the left terminal and not on the right terminal (see image).

Is this the correct "in-line fuse" that the manual is mentioning? its the only thing near the fuse panel. And for clarity yes the fuse in the fuse box is good and tested (the 25 amp)

Side note this "in-line fuse" or relay as I see it...it has NO markings or part numbers at all...guess I need to do a stare/compare at auto zone to see if I can find it??

ideas?

Name:  IMG_6752.jpg
Views: 1181
Size:  76.6 KB

Name:  IMG_6751.jpg
Views: 1146
Size:  62.8 KB

Name:  IMG_6753.jpg
Views: 1147
Size:  53.2 KB
Old 11-10-2014, 12:08 AM
DZRick
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wish I could be more help to you. I had enough fun with my '68 and that is completely different than your wiper system.

ttt for some help from some one with an '81

Best of luck to you Brian.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:27 AM
4SPDL81
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

Could the intermittant feature of this system be the cause of the wipers not working properly....?
Old 11-10-2014, 09:30 AM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

The part that you have located is the horn relay. Not what you are after.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:16 AM
Brians1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Street Rat
The part that you have located is the horn relay. Not what you are after.
Thanks - I found that as well in the shop manual.

So can Anyone tell me why i don't have 12 v to the wiper motor when in the Accessory or On position?

As mentioned my fuse in the fuse box is good (tested with test light)
The motor itself is good if I pass 12V to it, will run non stop.

I would assume that since I have 12 v at fuse box that I should be getting 12V to the power connection at the motor.

What could cause me to not get 12v?, the Relay behind the pass seat is also brand new - can i unplug it and jump the wires to see if thats the issue of not getting 12v??

Really hoping someone on here can help me
Old 11-11-2014, 06:18 AM
Joeyvette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TTT. I know chasing electrical problems sucks!
Old 11-12-2014, 12:41 AM
texasbaehr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar problem except mine were intermittently working. I tried to clean the switch which made no difference. I bought a new switch and all worked slowly until the fuse blew. Checked out the motor and it had an internal short. Replaced the motor, cleaned and lubed all the linkage and now they work as they should. Although I've only got caught in the rain once since then.

Originally Posted by Brians1
ok guys - a new update....progress I think.

I determined that the wiper motor is not getting power (and all fuses and relays are new and good). I decided to bypass the 12v input by applying 12v from a know source that works. When I first did this the relay behind the pass set was buzzing....i found this to be because I didn't have the wiper switch connected to the dash harness, once I connected it back buzzing went away...and....whola....applying 12v from a new source the wiper's run !

But....they won't turn off ! LOL - does this mean my switch really is bad??? Or is my test a false positive?

Get notified of new replies

To 81 wipers won't work

Quick Reply: 81 wipers won't work