C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remove oil pan

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 12:18 PM
c3_dk
Safety Car

Received 381 Likes on 294 Posts

Default Remove oil pan

Is it possible to remove my oil pan, without removing anything else??
Old 11-09-2014, 12:43 PM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Yes but it's a lot of work cleaning the old gasket on your back and re sealing the pan is always a concern. What do you have to do? Fix a leak???
Old 11-09-2014, 12:44 PM
Jamess411
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Not that I have been able to do…..drop the steering center link….do not have to remove it….if you have an automatic probably the torque convertor cover and possibly the starter to get at the bolts next to it.
Old 11-09-2014, 12:57 PM
c3_dk
Safety Car

Originally Posted by hugie82
Yes but it's a lot of work cleaning the old gasket on your back and re sealing the pan is always a concern. What do you have to do? Fix a leak???
Yes a small oil leak, and I would like to clean out the inside also.
Hydr lifter and roller coming in, so it will have new oil type also.

Originally Posted by Jamess411
Not that I have been able to do…..drop the steering center link….do not have to remove it….if you have an automatic probably the torque convertor cover and possibly the starter to get at the bolts next to it.
It is a 4 speed. I do have a problem with the steering center link, it there a trick here ??
Old 11-09-2014, 01:40 PM
Hammerhead Fred
Melting Slicks

Received 264 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by c3_dk
Yes a small oil leak, and I would like to clean out the inside also.
Hydr lifter and roller coming in, so it will have new oil type also.

It is a 4 speed. I do have a problem with the steering center link, it there a trick here ??
Center link must drop. Simply disconnect the idler arm from at the frame attaching point (couple bolts) and the linkage will drop down enough to easily remove the pan.
Old 11-09-2014, 01:45 PM
c3_dk
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Hammerhead Fred
Center link must drop. Simply disconnect the idler arm from at the frame attaching point (couple bolts) and the linkage will drop down enough to easily remove the pan.
Thx Fred
Old 11-09-2014, 02:32 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammerhead Fred
I recently did the pan gasket on my 69 4 speed big block. Two bolts on the idler arm and that was it. Left the starter on. There was plenty of room to remove the pan and get in there with a scraper to clean up the gasket surface. You might want to check the rear seal while you have it apart...
Old 11-09-2014, 02:44 PM
c3_dk
Safety Car

Originally Posted by CanadaGrant
I recently did the pan gasket on my 69 4 speed big block. Two bolts on the idler arm and that was it. Left the starter on. There was plenty of room to remove the pan and get in there with a scraper to clean up the gasket surface. You might want to check the rear seal while you have it apart...
Is it hard to replace the rear upper seal??
A one pc. Fel Pro pan gasket will come in the car.
Old 11-09-2014, 05:41 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Originally Posted by c3_dk
Is it hard to replace the rear upper seal??
A one pc. Fel Pro pan gasket will come in the car.
The rear seal is pretty easy in theory.... Use something that won't scratch the crank to push the top half around and out. Mine was stuck to the block after years of heat cycles so at the sugestion of another forum member, I used an old flat dipstick to slide between the block and seal to break the bond then pushed it out far enough to be able to latch onto it and pull it out. Again, don't scratch the crank.... I also used the Felpro one piece and really like it.
Old 11-09-2014, 06:06 PM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

I would have to say if I was pulling a pan and had cam& lifters in mind, I would pull the engine at that point. You're 85% of the way there anyway. Bell housing bolts, exhaust pipe and engine mounts are all that's left. On the engine stand you can clean, paint, re gasket everything, check everything and most importantly, while standing in the garage with a beverage.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:13 PM
lopozza
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would have to say if I was pulling a pan and had cam& lifters in mind, I would pull the engine at that point. You're 85% of the way there anyway. Bell housing bolts, exhaust pipe and engine mounts are all that's left. On the engine stand you can clean, paint, re gasket everything, check everything and most importantly, while standing in the garage with a beverage.
Believe it or not hugie82 is correct. Learn from my mistake!
Old 11-09-2014, 09:30 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Old 11-10-2014, 05:36 AM
Danish Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 48 Posts

Problem is, John probably already has another engine on the stand
He has a garage full of Corvette motors

John, remember that if you replace the rear main seal then the thrust bearing (rear main) must be aligned when you tighten the rear main. With the bolts a little more than finger tight push the crank forward, then rearward before tightening the main.

/Karsten
Old 11-11-2014, 11:49 AM
c3_dk
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Danish Shark
Problem is, John probably already has another engine on the stand
He has a garage full of Corvette motors

John, remember that if you replace the rear main seal then the thrust bearing (rear main) must be aligned when you tighten the rear main. With the bolts a little more than finger tight push the crank forward, then rearward before tightening the main.

/Karsten
I agree Karsten, I do have a small "Space" problem :-)

I don't think I will change it, it is not leaking.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:27 PM
NavVette72
1st Gear

I'm not sure is this is the right place to ask this, or if it's been covered in another thread but here it goes... My 1972 Stingray has a broken bell housing, it actually has a missing chunk from when the previous owner bottomed it out. My question is, can you replace the bell housing by dropping the trans (4 speed) or do you have to pull the engine? I'm hoping it can be done from just removing the trans cause I'm planning on replacing the shifter and linkage at the same time. Thanks, in advance!
Old 11-19-2014, 07:53 AM
lopozza
Advanced

Just the trans will work
Old 11-21-2014, 07:57 PM
vettezobsezzed
Racer

Default One piece felpro

I just installed one in my engine the other day ( on a stand). WOW, so awesome compared to the old 4 piece cork p.o.s. Wish I had another pan to put one in...

Get notified of new replies

To Remove oil pan

Quick Reply: Remove oil pan