C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C3 Steering problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 01:39 PM
ONeill202
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Default C3 Steering problem

I've never owned a Corvette before so I'm not sure if this is a problem or it's just the way they drive. When I turn the wheel on my 70 and let go it doesn't return to going straight like in most cars. It stays in the same location where I left it as I entered the turn. This happens when turning in both directions. I've lubricated the steering box to see if that helps but I'm not seeing any improvement. Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Al
Old 11-10-2014, 02:50 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,600 Posts

have the front end alignment checked in particular the caster would effect wheel return
Old 11-10-2014, 03:01 PM
Bad Bird
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It sounds like someone has adjusted the steering box whilst it was on the car. While sometimes it can work, most of the time you will mess up the gear backlash and lose your return to center.
Old 11-10-2014, 03:19 PM
ONeill202
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bad Bird
It sounds like someone has adjusted the steering box whilst it was on the car. While sometimes it can work, most of the time you will mess up the gear backlash and lose your return to center.
That may be the case I don't know. The only item I had replaced was the rag joint. After reading the posts thus far maybe I should begin with a front-end alignment and then proceed to having the steering box rebuilt if that doesn't fix it?
Old 11-10-2014, 03:22 PM
ONeill202
Instructor

Originally Posted by MelWff
have the front end alignment checked in particular the caster would effect wheel return
I'm not familiar with the casters, what do they look like?

Thanks,

Al
Old 11-10-2014, 03:37 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by ONeill202
...I'm not familiar with the casters, what do they look like?...
Caster is an alignment term.

http://yospeed.com/wheel-alignment-e...er-caster-toe/

Old 11-10-2014, 03:45 PM
Rotonda
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 78 Posts

Thanks,

Al
Caster is the measurement of how far the lower ball joint is in front of the upper ball joint. It is measured in degrees.

If the two ball joints are directly one above the other, the car will turn very easily but the wheel have no impetus to return to the direction the car is traveling. The car will also feel 'darty' when driving on the road, and will tend to follow any ruts. The further back the upper ball joint is behind the front (when looking straight down), the more stable the car will be at speed, and the less it will want to turn. (Think of a bicycle - the further in front of the handle bars, the more difficult to turn, while if it were directly under the handlebars, the easier to turn.

As the frames on C3's age, the amount of caster available in a front end adjustment decreases to the point where it may be 1 degree or less. Stock is approx. 3 degrees +/-, and many recommend up to 5 degrees for the street. There are various ways to correct this problem and get the caster you need. I chose to purchase new upper A-arms with a slightly different (more rearward) location of the ball-joint, restoring all of the adjustment lost ad your frame ages.
Old 11-10-2014, 05:37 PM
ONeill202
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rotonda
Caster is the measurement of how far the lower ball joint is in front of the upper ball joint. It is measured in degrees.

If the two ball joints are directly one above the other, the car will turn very easily but the wheel have no impetus to return to the direction the car is traveling. The car will also feel 'darty' when driving on the road, and will tend to follow any ruts. The further back the upper ball joint is behind the front (when looking straight down), the more stable the car will be at speed, and the less it will want to turn. (Think of a bicycle - the further in front of the handle bars, the more difficult to turn, while if it were directly under the handlebars, the easier to turn.

As the frames on C3's age, the amount of caster available in a front end adjustment decreases to the point where it may be 1 degree or less. Stock is approx. 3 degrees +/-, and many recommend up to 5 degrees for the street. There are various ways to correct this problem and get the caster you need. I chose to purchase new upper A-arms with a slightly different (more rearward) location of the ball-joint, restoring all of the adjustment lost ad your frame ages.
Gotcha! Thanks for the lesson -- I appreciate it. Will any ordinary front-end alignment place be able to correct and diagnose my problem or do I need to find a specialized place?

Last edited by ONeill202; 11-10-2014 at 06:53 PM.
Old 11-10-2014, 06:12 PM
ONeill202
Instructor

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Thanks Easy Mike...

I was thinking...I don't have any steering pull in either direction. I'm assuming that I can still have an alignment problem even without any pull, right?

Thanks,

Al
Old 11-10-2014, 08:25 PM
hereigo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Thanks,

Al

That's funny! Al, I am not laughing at you...I am laughing at me with you I hope. You will learn so much on this site in just a few days...
Old 11-10-2014, 08:29 PM
ONeill202
Instructor

Originally Posted by hereigo
That's funny! Al, I am not laughing at you...I am laughing at me with you I hope. You will learn so much on this site in just a few days...
I had no clue... I was thinking of casters that go on a shopping cart...
Old 11-10-2014, 08:35 PM
hereigo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Yes, I would have thought that also....sit back and just experience the wealth of knowledge available to you on this forum...Do a google search for corvette front suspension, these guys will be in the results.
Don't piece-meal the parts....replace all of the wearable items. Total rebuild.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:27 PM
AkrHack
Drifting

Received 260 Likes on 183 Posts

Gotcha! Thanks for the lesson -- I appreciate it. Will any ordinary front-end alignment place be able to correct and diagnose my problem or do I need to find a specialized place?
The front end alignment procedure for C3 Corvettes is no different than any other car made in that era. Therefore any place with alignment equipment will be able to get you straightened out.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:03 PM
ONeill202
Instructor

Originally Posted by AkrHack
The front end alignment procedure for C3 Corvettes is no different than any other car made in that era. Therefore any place with alignment equipment will be able to get you straightened out.
Thank you. I had the front end alignment done this morning and while it was off a bit on all areas it still wasn't enough to correct the problem. The recommendation from the shop was to replace the power steering pump and if that doesn't do it to replace the power steering valve.

When the guy at the shop drove the car he said it felt like a car that doesn't have power steering. This is my first corvette so I don't have anything to compare it to.

Does anyone know of a way to test if the power steering pump isn't working properly? I don't want to go through the expense of buying a part that I don't need. I was going to order the parts and do it myself.

Thanks to every one for their contributions... I really appreciate all the help.

Al

Last edited by ONeill202; 11-11-2014 at 12:07 PM.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:24 AM
Rotonda
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 78 Posts

Thank you. I had the front end alignment done this morning and while it was off a bit on all areas it still wasn't enough to correct the problem. The recommendation from the shop was to replace the power steering pump and if that doesn't do it to replace the power steering valve.

When the guy at the shop drove the car he said it felt like a car that doesn't have power steering. This is my first corvette so I don't have anything to compare it to.

Does anyone know of a way to test if the power steering pump isn't working properly? I don't want to go through the expense of buying a part that I don't need. I was going to order the parts and do it myself.

Thanks to every one for their contributions... I really appreciate all the help.

Al
Please post the results of your alignment, i.e. the camber, toe and caster for the L.F and R.F. If these appear to be within spec, we can then go on to steering problems.

I am always concerned when a "shop guy" talks about bigger ticket items such as power steering components without even mentioning the idler arm, which is one of the highest wear items in the steering system (and the easiest/cheapest to purchase and replace).
Old 11-15-2014, 10:45 AM
darrentpi
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never owned a Corvette before so I'm not sure if this is a problem or it's just the way they drive. When I turn the wheel on my 70 and let go it doesn't return to going straight like in most cars. It stays in the same location where I left it as I entered the turn. This happens when turning in both directions. I've lubricated the steering box to see if that helps but I'm not seeing any improvement. Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Al
Sounds like you have a lash problem, someone has over tightened the lash.. The steering box is supposed to have play in the box at extreme left and right turns of the wheel. The worm gear is crowned on purpase just for that reason, so as it alows the steering to revert back to center via the caster in front end when coming out of a turn back to center.
Old 11-15-2014, 10:55 AM
ONeill202
Instructor

Originally Posted by darrentpi
Sounds like you have a lash problem, someone has over tightened the lash.. The steering box is supposed to have play in the box at extreme left and right turns of the wheel. The worm gear is crowned on purpase just for that reason, so as it alows the steering to revert back to center via the caster in front end when coming out of a turn back to center.
I agree. I will post the results of my alignment once I run back to the alignment shop and have them generate the paper work for me. I left the other day and they failed to provide me with the alignment numbers from the computer -- it's hard to find good customer service anymore.

I did, however, take it to another place that works on corvettes and the owner actually own a 70 vette. I had him take it for a drive and he agrees the problem seems to be in the steering box. I know for a fact the steering box is leaking, and I'm sure at some point it ran dry because I had to add a boatload of grease to fill it up.

So here's my next move...

I'm going to pull the steering box out something today and ship it to a guy that rebuilds these things (Gary, found him on digital corvette) and have him rebuild it. I'm sure it has never been touched so a good cleaning a rebuild might help.

More to come in the steering saga

Thanks, Al

Last edited by ONeill202; 11-15-2014 at 12:30 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To C3 Steering problem

Old 11-15-2014, 11:36 AM
darrentpi
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree. I will post the results of my alignment once I run back to the alignment shop and have them generate the paper work for me. I left the other day and they failed to provide me with the alignment numbers from the computer -- it's hard to find good customer service anymore.

I did, however, take it to another place that works on corvettes and the owner actually own a 70 vette. I had him take it for a drive and he agrees that the problem seems to be in the steering box. I know for a fact that the steering box is leaking and I'm sure at some point it ran dry because I had to add a boatload of grease to fill it up.

So here's my next move...

I'm going to pull the steering box out something today and ship it to a guy that rebuilds these things (Gary, found him on digital corvette) and have him rebuild it. I'm sure it has never been touched so a good cleaning a rebuild might help.

More to come in the steering saga

Thanks, Al
I amjust in the same process, however I bought the rebuilt kit from Zip, and I will do it myself. It is pretty simple as long as you have a few simple tooks, it shouldnt be a problem.
Just because things leak doesnt mean its pooched! Leaks are sometimes a good thing, they help keep seals wet and not dry to crack. But yes a rebuild will be good as the brass bushings, esspecially the lower do wear out in the box..
Old 11-24-2014, 06:58 PM
ONeill202
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rotonda
Please post the results of your alignment, i.e. the camber, toe and caster for the L.F and R.F. If these appear to be within spec, we can then go on to steering problems.

I am always concerned when a "shop guy" talks about bigger ticket items such as power steering components without even mentioning the idler arm, which is one of the highest wear items in the steering system (and the easiest/cheapest to purchase and replace).
Sorry for the delay but I final got the numbers on the alignment:

I'm still not convinced the guy at the shop knew what he was doing. I told him I needed 2.75 or better of caster and he said he wasn't able to do more on the driver side. I gave him these numbers and he didn't even come close:

Last edited by ONeill202; 11-24-2014 at 07:05 PM.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:55 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

The only reason for the steering wheel NOT returning to center position is that the steering box mechanism is binding....probably because someone has attempted to 'tighten' it up. Note where the slot in the adjustment screw is located, break the locknut loose, and turn the adjustment screw about 1/8 turn CCW; then lock the locknut back down (while retaining the position of the screw).

Test drive the car again to see if there is more "freedom" in the wheel. In any event, you shouldn't back that adjustment off more than 1/4 turn, unless everything else in the system is in good shape and someone who knows about the steering box is involved. But, that test will help you understand if the box has been 'tightened' or not. Then, you and whoever you choose to assist you, can decide the next course of action.

P.S. Lots of folks will come out of the woodwork to tell you that the stock C3 system is "flawed" and that you NEED to replace it with something else. I've driven C3's from shortly after they were put on the road until today, and there is NOTHING wrong with the basic design of the C3 steering or power steering system if it is in good condition....UNLESS you are trying to roadrace your car and be competitive with better vehicles. It will be a lot less expensive and easier to repair the system you have, than to re-engineer the steering system in your car.

Quick Reply: C3 Steering problem