C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

435 fuel question

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 10:35 AM
kettererhouse
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 435 fuel question

I had rebuilt all carbs Nov 2013 using E90 fuel had a over heat problem this summer when temps rose to 80-90 * started using non ethanol fuel / Triangle gas stopped over heat problem Nov 5 filled up but put Sta Bil in fuel and all carbs started weeping after running 1/2 a tank out. Going into rebuild mode now on the carbs Any one ever heard of such???????? I also read that on the 67 68 435 cars that if you put a brass soft plug drilled out 1/4 in the intake water pump bypass hose that eliminates over heat problem IS THAT TRUE.
Thanks for any help
Old 11-13-2014, 10:40 AM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,606 Posts

what do you mean the carburetors started to "weep"? What is your initial and total timing set for? Are you running vacuum advance and is it ported or manifold? what temperature thermostat are you using?
Old 11-13-2014, 11:06 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

E90 fuel?
Old 11-13-2014, 12:23 PM
kettererhouse
Instructor

Originally Posted by MelWff
what do you mean the carburetors started to "weep"? What is your initial and total timing set for? Are you running vacuum advance and is it ported or manifold? what temperature thermostat are you using?
They started leaking /weeping fuel timing set at 12* over all timing if I remember right 32 ??? running Accel mech advance dual point and 195 stat
Old 11-13-2014, 03:11 PM
kettererhouse
Instructor

Just taken down all three carbs and now know why it started weeping leaking I had used all Holley in the bag gaskets when I rebuilt a year ago except for plastic bowl screw gaskets all three bowls were not as tight as should have been I do not know if the couple times it over heated and cooled that lead to this problem its hard to believe that all three had same issue but they did I would still like to know about the brass plug in the by pass hose if that's works Thanks
Old 11-13-2014, 04:57 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,606 Posts

start with a 180 thermostat and you always have to recheck the float bowl screws after a rebuild
Old 11-13-2014, 06:36 PM
kettererhouse
Instructor

Originally Posted by MelWff
start with a 180 thermostat and you always have to recheck the float bowl screws after a rebuild
I bought a 180 stat when all this started in June / July but when changing fuel and all was right never put it in but if I want to get back to some less expensive fuel That stat would be my first choice And I really should have know that I would need to check all of the screws and bolts on those carburetor and that motor. Live and learn
Thanks for your input and time

Get notified of new replies

To 435 fuel question

Quick Reply: 435 fuel question