C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saginaw steering column part interchange

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 04:54 PM
34rodder
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saginaw steering column part interchange

Hi
I am new to the forum, so please pardon me as I try to post properly.
I am hoping it will be OK to ask a question about a Corvette style (Saginaw) steering column even though I am not using the column in a Corvette. I am looking for Saginaw steering column expertise and am hoping Jim Shea, (or another Saginaw expert) might help me out.
Can I assemble a steering column using the “mask jacket (#63)” and the “bearing housing support (#49)” and the bearing housing (#24)" from a 1989 Chevy S10 TILT ONLY steering column. And then from this point upward to the steering wheel, can I use the parts from a 1978 Chrysler (Saginaw) TILT TELESCOPIC. Will this work?
Perhaps an easier way to ask the question is…..Can the Bearing Housing out of a 1989 Saginaw TILT column be used in a 1978 Saginaw TILT TELESCOPIC column.
Thanks for the help
Old 11-16-2014, 11:45 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by 34rodder
Hi
I am new to the forum, so please pardon me as I try to post properly.
I am hoping it will be OK to ask a question about a Corvette style (Saginaw) steering column even though I am not using the column in a Corvette. I am looking for Saginaw steering column expertise and am hoping Jim Shea, (or another Saginaw expert) might help me out.
Can I assemble a steering column using the “mask jacket (#63)” and the “bearing housing support (#49)” and the bearing housing (#24)" from a 1989 Chevy S10 TILT ONLY steering column. And then from this point upward to the steering wheel, can I use the parts from a 1978 Chrysler (Saginaw) TILT TELESCOPIC. Will this work?
Perhaps an easier way to ask the question is…..Can the Bearing Housing out of a 1989 Saginaw TILT column be used in a 1978 Saginaw TILT TELESCOPIC column.
Thanks for the help
The short answer is "NO", the bearing housing from a TILT column cannot be made to function as a TILT & TELESCOPIC steering column. Doesn't matter what years, they will NOT mix and match.

Jim
Old 11-17-2014, 12:02 PM
chatham
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Jim, since you seem to be the column guy, I have a question. I am trying to find the electrical connectors that plug into the safety lockout switch on a Saginaw column. is there somewhere to buy new ones or will I have to go to a junk yard?

thanks
Old 11-17-2014, 10:31 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by chatham
Jim, since you seem to be the column guy, I have a question. I am trying to find the electrical connectors that plug into the safety lockout switch on a Saginaw column. is there somewhere to buy new ones or will I have to go to a junk yard?

thanks
Sorry,
I just don't have information on electrical connectors and where to purchase replacements.
Jim
Old 11-18-2014, 09:12 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Jim Shea
Sorry,
I just don't have information on electrical connectors and where to purchase replacements.
Jim
I am pretty sure that I recall this question being asked in the past. I would suggest searching the archives.
Jim

Get notified of new replies

To Saginaw steering column part interchange

Quick Reply: Saginaw steering column part interchange