C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will this engine work in my 79 vette?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 08:49 PM
Scottd
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by 63mako
The edlebrock packages are for blocks with flat top pistons. They are designed for the biggest HP number they can make. Doing that they give up bottom end and fat midrange power. These cars are heavy, many have auto trans with fuel saving rear gear ratios. Cams are too big in all their packages for an L48. You can do a lot better than an edlebrock top end package for the money it cost.
Hey Mako, what are your suggestions for upgrades and staying within a 2K budget? Assuming 'Flip can do basic install work himself and not mess with valve clearance or extensive cam/head combo research. I suggested the Edelbrock package because everything is supposed to work together and I assumed that they would have had a decent kit just for the L48.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:01 PM
Karsten
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I opted to go with a crate motor for my 1973 coupe, 375 HP 350 from ATK, added a performer manifold, headers, QF 680 CFM Carb and HEI distributor.

Pic before distributor. I need to get a new air cleaner here soon as I get it back.

http://high-performance-engines.com/...duct_Code=HP89

Now they offer a 415 HP 383 Stroker....I would have been all over this a year ago.

http://high-performance-engines.com/...duct_Code=HP94

I can't even imagine trying to make a Ford Engine work in a Corvette...Maybe a Chevy Hot Rod where you where starting with close to nothing and building up.

Karsten
Old 11-25-2014, 10:16 PM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by Scottd
Hey Mako, what are your suggestions for upgrades and staying within a 2K budget? Assuming 'Flip can do basic install work himself and not mess with valve clearance or extensive cam/head combo research. I suggested the Edelbrock package because everything is supposed to work together and I assumed that they would have had a decent kit just for the L48.
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/...end-kits.shtml
The problem is L48 is actual 8.2 to 1 compression. There lowest kit is rated on a 9 to 1 short block. Cams are too big for net compression. This one would be better.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tf...model/corvette

Last edited by 63mako; 11-25-2014 at 10:38 PM.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:27 PM
brick1234
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Waste of money to even try a ford mod swap as stated above but i would not say not to consider a ford for a swap its still American by the way. There are some interesting swaps out there and i give those people credit on what fab they had to due to make it work as i wouldn't of been able to due that myself. One thing i would consider is a 302-351 sbf swap just for the simple fact that i like these motors more especially the 351w over a 350sbc. old school SBF will always weigh less then SBC just a estimate based on a few sites (302---475lb....351w---500lbs....350sbc----575lbs)
I look at it like this at the end of the day its your car and you can due what you want to it since you own it but the simplest route would be a sbc as its just a bolt in vs fab on the others but with more power you still need to update other parts of the car or something will break.
Old 11-26-2014, 02:41 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

The l-48 IMO is not worth putting heads and a cam into unless you change the pistons. My CR on my l-48 computed out to 7.66:1. Hard to make any significant improvements with a cam with that cr. the pistons are 17 cc dish with no squish pad. So even if you get the cr up with heads your going to be limited on cylinder pressure and therefore cam choices in order to prevent detonation problems due to poor quench.
Money might be better spent on exhaust, stall converter, shift kit for transmission or different transmission or rear end, performance carb rebuild, timing recurv, etc, unless you want to get into the engine far enough to change out those pistons. Then it's an overhaul, can be done for maybe $3,000 all said and done, but everything else still stock.
Old 11-26-2014, 03:13 PM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by REELAV8R
The l-48 IMO is not worth putting heads and a cam into unless you change the pistons. My CR on my l-48 computed out to 7.66:1. Hard to make any significant improvements with a cam with that cr. the pistons are 17 cc dish with no squish pad. So even if you get the cr up with heads your going to be limited on cylinder pressure and therefore cam choices in order to prevent detonation problems due to poor quench.
Money might be better spent on exhaust, stall converter, shift kit for transmission or different transmission or rear end, performance carb rebuild, timing recurv, etc, unless you want to get into the engine far enough to change out those pistons. Then it's an overhaul, can be done for maybe $3,000 all said and done, but everything else still stock.
The Trickflow kit I linked above with Felpro 1094 gaskets. ends up 9.2 to 1 with 7.7 to 1 DCR on a stock L48 block. If you mill .022 off the heads (.0055 per 1 CC)you get 9.6 to 1 compression and 8 to 1 DCR. A set of 1.6 rockers and you have a pretty potent 350 that works with a stock convertor and high rear gear for about $2000. Good option if you have a solid shortblock or want to pep up a Goodwrench engine.

Quick Reply: Will this engine work in my 79 vette?