C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will this engine work in my 79 vette?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 10:20 PM
FlippinCorvette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will this engine work in my 79 vette?

I know I've been posting alot of things to do to my car lately. It's i see the feedback and then do very few things. I have done a few things so far thanks to all of you. Here's my new idea. Somone locally is wanting to sell a 2006 mustang gt engine. So I was wondering would it fit in my car? And if so what all mods would have to be done to my car to compensate for that big engine?

Last edited by FlippinCorvette; 11-20-2014 at 06:11 PM.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:29 PM
tektrans
Drifting

Received 314 Likes on 220 Posts

2006 Mustang GT motor makes 300hp. I don't consider that powerfull
Old 11-18-2014, 10:41 PM
MrJlr
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes, you could make it fit.

Huge mistake cost and effort.
Get a small block Chevy.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:40 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Yes, HUGE mistake.

Not only would a lot of adapting be required, and would your car's value plummet quicker than a Don Schumacher dragster does 0 to 60, but just imagine the backlash you'd receive for doing such a thing, especially considering the arguments which result from something as simple as misappropriating the term "Stingray". And, while I've never been accused of being any sort of Correctness ****, I suspect that mine wouldn't be the only ignore list to gain a new member. But, FWIW, there is no bad question. So, points to your for axing first.

P.S. Just to be clear, I don't like it.

Last edited by TheSkunkWorks; 11-18-2014 at 11:50 PM.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:42 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 578 Likes on 460 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

you would have a battle putting that p.o.s in there, those engines are huge. measure to the outside edge of the valve cover and see how wide it is then measure the height and length . they aren't small engines except in displacement. and they don't make power where you need it o.h.c. motors lack low end torque as a rule. just an additional note the 4 valve version which uses the same block is larger than a boss 429 and they were huge. you can put anything into anything with enough time and money but this would be ridiculous. a mildly worked 350 would beat the snot out of it.
Old 11-19-2014, 02:43 AM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by FlippinCorvette
I know I've been posting alot of things to do to my car lately. It's i see the feedback and then do very few things. I have done a few things so far thanks to all of you. Here's my new idea. Somone locally is wanting to sell a 2006 mustang gt engine. I know how powerful that is. It makes my current engine look like a joke. So I was wondering would it fit in my car? And if so what all mods would have to be done to my car to compensate for that big engine?
Really, really horrible idea.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:18 AM
FlippinCorvette
Instructor

Idk, it's just my car being that small l48 doesn't have the power I want.. Even with after market things under the hood. And a new small block chevy that makes decent horsepower made to fit in my car costs like 7 times more money. Ill try to find something else I guess but there's not really much more I can do to make the car more powerful.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:19 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Don't intermix races.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:01 AM
Revi
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 136 Posts

And a new small block chevy that makes decent horsepower made to fit in my car costs like 7 times more money.
I'm not sure what your budget is, but it sounds like it's only $200-$300 dollars. If that is the case, you probably shouldn't be trying for an engine swap at this time.

Pull your L-48, install some better pistons (up the compression a bit. 10:1 or so), a set of aluminum heads and complimentary cam, a better intake manifold and some headers. You'll be in the 375hp-400hp (gross) range very easily.

Last edited by Revi; 11-19-2014 at 08:21 AM.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:52 AM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

I know I've been posting alot of things to do to my car lately. It's i see the feedback and then do very few things. I have done a few things so far thanks to all of you. Here's my new idea. Somone locally is wanting to sell a 2006 mustang gt engine. I know how powerful that is. It makes my current engine look like a joke. So I was wondering would it fit in my car? And if so what all mods would have to be done to my car to compensate for that big engine?
You're really intent on destroying this car, aren't you?
Old 11-19-2014, 10:01 AM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 391 Likes on 237 Posts

Idk, it's just my car being that small l48 doesn't have the power I want.. Even with after market things under the hood. And a new small block chevy that makes decent horsepower made to fit in my car costs like 7 times more money. Ill try to find something else I guess but there's not really much more I can do to make the car more powerful.
SBC is 7X's the cost?

Do you realize the cost of transplanting a modern engine, let alone one that will not bolt up to pretty anything you currently have?

Last edited by Corey_68; 11-19-2014 at 01:26 PM.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:33 AM
Ontario73
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The Chevy small block engine is THE cheapest engine to build hands down. If your budget is only 1/7th of that cost then there is no way you can afford what would be required to adapt that Ford engine to your car!

You would need a stand alone computer system, transmission adapters, custom exhaust, engine mounts, cooling system modifications, new fuel lines and pump, etc. That swap would be very expensive (even if the engine was free) and complex (are you an engineer?) just to install a 300hp engine. Your L-48 could easily be built to that level for under $1500 and be a simple project!

There are no stupid questions, but, there are stupid ideas and this is one of those!
Old 11-19-2014, 10:41 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Even if the rustang engine was free, the money required to convert it to fit your car would exceed the cost of well built GM SBC that will slip right into place.
Old 11-19-2014, 02:36 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,331 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Well GM made millions of LS motors. Get the higher hp ones out of transams, cameros, vettes. Years ago I put a late model motor in my 91 Vette
Old 11-19-2014, 02:41 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Start with a proper tune-up; make sure the carb is running well and set the distributor up with a nice performance curve. After that, headers, a mild cam and exhaust and you'll forget about the Mustang engine.
Old 11-19-2014, 02:53 PM
FlippinCorvette
Instructor

Originally Posted by Revi
I'm not sure what your budget is, but it sounds like it's only $200-$300 dollars. If that is the case, you probably shouldn't be trying for an engine swap at this time.

Pull your L-48, install some better pistons (up the compression a bit. 10:1 or so), a set of aluminum heads and complimentary cam, a better intake manifold and some headers. You'll be in the 375hp-400hp (gross) range very easily.
My budget is about 2k. So for 2k what would be the best thing to go about doing?
In about a month I could be up to 5. If necessary which I think it probably will be.

Last edited by FlippinCorvette; 11-19-2014 at 02:56 PM.
Old 11-19-2014, 02:54 PM
FlippinCorvette
Instructor

Originally Posted by gkull
Well GM made millions of LS motors. Get the higher hp ones out of transams, cameros, vettes. Years ago I put a late model motor in my 91 Vette
I actually really like this idea.

Get notified of new replies

To Will this engine work in my 79 vette?

Old 11-19-2014, 03:04 PM
lukyn
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 2007 Gt with a 5 spd, its a great motor but it belongs in the Mustang. I attached pictures of my '79 L82 with Edlebrocks 2098 kit that I installed along with a few other items like a hi cap oil pump, Carter fuel pump and Mallory distr. You wont be dissapointed with this.
Attached Images   
Old 11-19-2014, 04:41 PM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Received 796 Likes on 545 Posts

First obvious problem is the dizzy is on the wrong end of the motor, It all goes downhill from there. For a solution, there are some great crate deals out there, start with a good basic one that you can add onto as your budget goes up. SBC really is hands down the easiest and cheapest to build up.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:45 PM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Received 796 Likes on 545 Posts

Or just look at the PARTS FOR SALE section in C3, 427 engine, $3750. That looks like as much power as you could need without breaking everythign else in the car.

Quick Reply: Will this engine work in my 79 vette?