C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handling improvement

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 05:11 PM
Al Kay
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Handling improvement

I want to improve the handling of my 79 C3 a bit more for autocross. I've got 550 fronts with a 1 1/4" bar and Konis, rear is 320 with the factory disconnected and Koni's. 17 x 8 all round with Nitto's.

The alignment is pretty aggressive but I'm chasing more caster. I don't want to lose the stock look A arms to achieve this. I once saw somewhere that there was a stock pressed A arm that had way more caster adjustment than standard, I want to experiment with 5+ degrees. Anyone know where I can buy those A arms?
Old 11-20-2014, 06:42 AM
donnie1956
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check over on vettemods. There are a few racers on that site that have extensive knowledge of suspensions.
Originally Posted by Al Kay
I want to improve the handling of my 79 C3 a bit more for autocross. I've got 550 fronts with a 1 1/4" bar and Konis, rear is 320 with the factory disconnected and Koni's. 17 x 8 all round with Nitto's.

The alignment is pretty aggressive but I'm chasing more caster. I don't want to lose the stock look A arms to achieve this. I once saw somewhere that there was a stock pressed A arm that had way more caster adjustment than standard, I want to experiment with 5+ degrees. Anyone know where I can buy those A arms?
Old 11-20-2014, 09:49 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,329 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by donnie1956
Check over on vettemods. There are a few racers on that site that have extensive knowledge of suspensions.
I machined my upper stock a-arm slots to attain more caster. Right now I have 6.0 castor settings. I've tried 4.90 to about 6.4. But anyway VB&P sells the part.

http://www.vbandp.com/auto-parts.htm...category_id=47

Your wheels are kind of narrow limiting tread surface on the pavement. I was always one for less sway and more spring. I use adjustable spring end link front and rear bars. So the bar 1 1/8th allows small vertical wheel travel before the bar come into play.

I originally did the VB&P street slalom kit with some substitutions. For the street I now have 600# semi coil over front and a 520# mono rear. The 420# was way wimpy
Old 11-20-2014, 09:59 AM
gkull
Team Owner

I use 295 slicks fronts

These are 700# front springs

[/URL]

adjustable end links front and rear on my sway bars. It gives the wheel vertical free movement before the sway bars come in. Old picture with 420# rear

Old 11-20-2014, 12:11 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,126 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by gkull
adjustable end links front and rear on my sway bars. It gives the wheel vertical free movement before the sway bars come in.
I am interested in how you feel this affects autocross handling. I would think it would be an accommodation to street comfort to allow a little bit of movement for hitting bumps on one side of the car or the other. Autocross courses I've been on are pretty much without bumps. So I've got the Heim jointed links from Guldstrand in front and the stock setup in the rear.

Is there perhaps a performance reason for wanting some independence?

BTW - great pictures

Last edited by ignatz; 11-20-2014 at 12:12 PM. Reason: pix
Old 11-20-2014, 01:45 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ignatz
I am interested in how you feel this affects autocross handling. I would think it would be an accommodation to street comfort to allow a little bit of movement for hitting bumps on one side of the car or the other. Autocross courses I've been on are pretty much without bumps. So I've got the Heim jointed links from Guldstrand in front and the stock setup in the rear.

Is there perhaps a performance reason for wanting some independence?

BTW - great pictures
If I'm on a smooth surface you can crank down the spring end links to be solid. I would also make changes to the front shock compression setting dial.

I like adjustability

Get notified of new replies

To Handling improvement

Quick Reply: Handling improvement