C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unable to open both doors 77 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 08:10 AM
srallnutt
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unable to open both doors 77 Corvette

Hi
I locked both my doors the other day, manually and one at a time.
Now I can't seem to open them. They rotate both ways, no friction and applied wd40 to assist.
You get the initial sound that's it's about to unlock but then nothing rotate th other way and you get a similar sound again but I guess it's the mechanism rattling the rods etc. Any ideas otherwise I'm stuck? I've also tried the other set of keys but same situation. If I rotate too hard I'm sure it will snap the key off. I take it that unlocking is anti clockwise?
Thanks
Simon
Old 11-24-2014, 10:39 AM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by srallnutt
Hi
I locked both my doors the other day, manually and one at a time.
Now I can't seem to open them. They rotate both ways, no friction and applied wd40 to assist.
You get the initial sound that's it's about to unlock but then nothing rotate th other way and you get a similar sound again but I guess it's the mechanism rattling the rods etc. Any ideas otherwise I'm stuck? I've also tried the other set of keys but same situation. If I rotate too hard I'm sure it will snap the key off. I take it that unlocking is anti clockwise?
Thanks
Simon
We just spent two hours last night, unlocking and opening the passenger door and that was with the window down!!! Is there any gap at all in either window? Because you might be able to get the T-Top off, by manipulating the latches.

Otherwise, it's not going to be easy. There are two rods that run from the manual door lock on the inside. Twisting it, pushes the first rod, straight back towards the rear, where it is attached to a bell crank that transfers that motion upwards to another rod that runs along the back side of the door, straight up and down at a slight angle and engages the door lock at the very top rear corner of the door.

You want to pull this almost-vertical rod, straight up.

Load this pic in your browser as my company's deal, won't let me insert the picture and good luck, it's not going to be easy!

http://corvettec3.com/Scottwindow10.jpg
Old 11-24-2014, 02:33 PM
srallnutt
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by F22
We just spent two hours last night, unlocking and opening the passenger door and that was with the window down!!! Is there any gap at all in either window? Because you might be able to get the T-Top off, by manipulating the latches.

Otherwise, it's not going to be easy. There are two rods that run from the manual door lock on the inside. Twisting it, pushes the first rod, straight back towards the rear, where it is attached to a bell crank that transfers that motion upwards to another rod that runs along the back side of the door, straight up and down at a slight angle and engages the door lock at the very top rear corner of the door.

You want to pull this almost-vertical rod, straight up.

Load this pic in your browser as my company's deal, won't let me insert the picture and good luck, it's not going to be easy!

http://corvettec3.com/Scottwindow10.jpg
Brilliant idea.
Thank you very much
Simon
Old 11-24-2014, 03:42 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,244 Likes on 965 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I take it that unlocking is anti clockwise?
My RIGHT door locks by turning the key CW.
My LEFT door locks by turning the key CCW.

With the window down push DOWN on this part to unlock the door.

Old 11-24-2014, 04:12 PM
F22
Le Mans Master

Clearest example yet, of exactly what part to push down. We accomplished it nonetheless, by pulling the rod up. Still wasn't easy. I'll have to look at it, tonight, to see if we could've accomplished this in an easier fashion as you described.

Thanks!
Old 11-24-2014, 05:21 PM
srallnutt
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by F22

Clearest example yet, of exactly what part to push down. We accomplished it nonetheless, by pulling the rod up. Still wasn't easy. I'll have to look at it, tonight, to see if we could've accomplished this in an easier fashion as you described.

Thanks!
That's great thank you very much. How did younget to the rod to push it down?
Old 11-24-2014, 05:23 PM
srallnutt
Heel & Toe

Did you push the window down by hand or slide a rod across to the elec window lever?
Old 11-24-2014, 05:28 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 582 Likes on 504 Posts

One thing to check is the outer door handles, if they are sagging, the mechanism will not unlock, or if the linkage from the outer handle to the latch is adjusted wrong, won't unlock.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:39 PM
F22
Le Mans Master

That's great thank you very much. How did younget to the rod to push it down?
The drivers side was still open. You really can't push the window,down that I can see. My incident a month ago was exactly what you're going through. My little haunted bitch of a Corvette, Sassy, decided to lock me out one morning, with both Windows rolled up tight. I tried for two hours to get in! I played with the outer door lock and key, a bunch of times. Then the tow truck driver came, and he couldn't do it. Finally the locksmith guy came at 10 AM and I threw him the keys, because I to go inside to pee. I came back outside and the locksmith had the drivers door open, using the same key that wouldn't work for nothing for two hours and dozens of attempts! Go figure.

It might help to gently put a wood wedge in the bottom of the glass to give you a little more room to work with...
Old 11-26-2014, 10:26 AM
srallnutt
Heel & Toe

Default 50% Success

I spent hours threading wire, nylon lines to try and pull those T-Top levers but could not get the angle on pulling them down.
Went back to the drivers door and worked the key backwards and forwards again and again. No luck. Then tried tapping the side where the rods run down the door suddenly it gave way and unlocked. So, have taken trim off and lubricated all mechanisms. The passenger door will not budge, tried the inside latch to open but no luck. Can't take the trim off because the screws are also along the side of door but we'll think of something. Unless you guys have a new idea about this? Exhausted believe it or not but relieved that at least I'm in.
Thank you all for your help so far.
Simon:
Old 11-26-2014, 10:48 AM
F22
Le Mans Master

I spent hours threading wire, nylon lines to try and pull those T-Top levers but could not get the angle on pulling them down.
Went back to the drivers door and worked the key backwards and forwards again and again. No luck. Then tried tapping the side where the rods run down the door suddenly it gave way and unlocked. So, have taken trim off and lubricated all mechanisms. The passenger door will not budge, tried the inside latch to open but no luck. Can't take the trim off because the screws are also along the side of door but we'll think of something. Unless you guys have a new idea about this? Exhausted believe it or not but relieved that at least I'm in.
Thank you all for your help so far.
Simon:
Simon, I feel your pain. Last night, we removed the passenger side door latch. What a total b1tch of a job! You remove all the rods going into the top corner of the door, then you remove the screws holding the plastic 'funnel' that diverts rain water from pouring on the door latch and lock mechanisms. You can kind of fold it, carefully like a taco, to get it out of the square hole or better yet, remove the access plate at the bottom of the door and get it out from there.

Next, if you need to remove the latch, that's a tough one too! Three screws hold it from the back edge of the door and you need to unclip it from the outer door handle and remove the rod. Then, you can see where the lock has a male-female thing going and you can maneuver the male part out of the female part, by simply moving it around.

Then you move the door glass all the way to the top. Not sure how my shop partner did it last night, but he spent ten minutes maneuvering the latch downwards, so we could get it out of the bottom of the door, through the open access hole (that you already removed the plate on earlier). That passenger door latch was thoroughly crusted and caked with hardened dirt and grease! It's soaking in a solution of Simple Green, while we speak and today, we're going to pull it out and see what we need to do to make it work.

I swear to God, that car is going to make me rebuild, replace, refurbish or have to lay hands on every single part it has!

Sheesh!

Old 11-26-2014, 12:30 PM
srallnutt
Heel & Toe

Default Thank you

Originally Posted by F22
Simon, I feel your pain. Last night, we removed the passenger side door latch. What a total b1tch of a job! You remove all the rods going into the top corner of the door, then you remove the screws holding the plastic 'funnel' that diverts rain water from pouring on the door latch and lock mechanisms. You can kind of fold it, carefully like a taco, to get it out of the square hole or better yet, remove the access plate at the bottom of the door and get it out from there.

Next, if you need to remove the latch, that's a tough one too! Three screws hold it from the back edge of the door and you need to unclip it from the outer door handle and remove the rod. Then, you can see where the lock has a male-female thing going and you can maneuver the male part out of the female part, by simply moving it around.

Then you move the door glass all the way to the top. Not sure how my shop partner did it last night, but he spent ten minutes maneuvering the latch downwards, so we could get it out of the bottom of the door, through the open access hole (that you already removed the plate on earlier). That passenger door latch was thoroughly crusted and caked with hardened dirt and grease! It's soaking in a solution of Simple Green, while we speak and today, we're going to pull it out and see what we need to do to make it work.

I swear to God, that car is going to make me rebuild, replace, refurbish or have to lay hands on every single part it has!

Sheesh!

Wow you've been busy too. I think I'm going to have get round to doing that very soon. Thank you very much for your sympathetic ear and advice. All the best
Simon
Old 11-26-2014, 05:14 PM
LS4 PILOT
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by F22

Sheesh!

I remember doing all that , replacing missing clips, new electric window motors, installed new latches ....only I got to use OEM GM part from the counter 26 years ago. I completely went though both doors , cleaned and checked the operation of each item. Installed new felts . It was a lot of work.

It was a PITA.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:38 PM
srallnutt
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by '75
One thing to check is the outer door handles, if they are sagging, the mechanism will not unlock, or if the linkage from the outer handle to the latch is adjusted wrong, won't unlock.
Well you're certainly right with this. The right door is not unlocking even from the inside. So how would you suggest getting this door open?
Old 11-26-2014, 08:52 PM
keithl1967
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I have a '77 that I bought last October...have not been locked out yet--only because I do not lock the doors typically...the key will NOT unlock the doors...it will turn the cylinder in one direction, but will not turn it to unlock...

spring time project to figure it out...
Old 11-26-2014, 09:22 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 582 Likes on 504 Posts

Well you're certainly right with this. The right door is not unlocking even from the inside. So how would you suggest getting this door open?
Try hooking something under the outer handle to pull it all the way up, then try unlocking. Sometimes if you turn the key quickly it will help. If none of that works, you will have to get the door panel off, not an easy job with the door closed.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:08 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Simon,

Look over the second picture in post #4 above to familiarize yourself with the actual lever you will need to depress.

Then with the window down and using a 10-12 inch flat bladed screwdriver, work it down from the back of the window opening until the blade is resting on the lever. Then with a sharp wrap on the handle of the screw driver, the latch will open. There is no real trick to it, but it does take practice to get it on the lever. Heck after a few times, you actually be a pro at it.

Good luck... GUSTO

Get notified of new replies

To Unable to open both doors 77 Corvette

Old 11-26-2014, 10:49 PM
phat87
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist

Default JM2cW

I have a bit of a challenge with the doors on my '76.

Well, I don't have so much of an issue as my wife does. The technique I've found that works is to insert the key and pull back out just a smidge, then (and this is the important part on all Corvettes) you rotate the key in the opposite direction of the UNlock position and then rotate it the unlock position.

Every Corvette I've owned is like that. Hope it helps. Also don't use any oil based product to lube, just graphite...amazing stuff.
Old 11-27-2014, 05:11 AM
F22
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by LS4 PILOT
I remember doing all that , replacing missing clips, new electric window motors, installed new latches ....only I got to use OEM GM part from the counter 26 years ago. I completely went though both doors , cleaned and checked the operation of each item. Installed new felts . It was a lot of work.

It was a PITA.
We're getting it back in and yes, it's a double PITA, even doing that. Tiny hands would be highly helpful here, my big mitts barely fit in that space! The toughest part has been trying to get that little tiny, eetsy beetsy black clip up at the top. The one that holds that crazy curved little rod for the outer door handle. Gawd...

Tomorrow we will try to finish it. Want to take it to an 1/8 mile drag strip Saturday and see what it does.
Old 11-28-2014, 04:38 PM
srallnutt
Heel & Toe

A big thank you to everyone for their help as all is sorted. The advice with a screw driver down the window, the key in the lock and pulling the outer latch up at the same time led to the door opening. Now the mechanisms are a bit sticky and sometimes when shutting the door it doesn't shut properly unless you open and close the inner latch. So a bit of further maintenance with the inner workings is required I suspect.
Thank you all once again. What issue can I put to you all now?

Last edited by srallnutt; 11-29-2014 at 11:29 AM.

Quick Reply: Unable to open both doors 77 Corvette