C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

switching to FI

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 08:42 AM
kcarlasc
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I stared with the FAST 2.0 and ripped it off.. It was terrible.. now I do have a big cam in my 383 and pull only about a4 on vacuum and while its not listed anywhere on the FAST site or directions they require between 8 and 10... However, the issues did not end there... 2 ECU, 2 Tablets, 1 MAP sensor, 1 Temp sender all replaced before the car ever ran. Dealing with FAST was a ling and drawn out process... days to return calls, weeks to get new parts so I just went out and bought a MAP, etc...

Sent it back and put the Edelbrock SteetFire on.. It was not without its hiccups but at least Edelbrock stepped up and went above and beyond to get it working... and its been great ever since... Would not look back in a sec
Old 11-26-2014, 08:55 AM
kwplot34
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems as though Holley is the popular set up. Great information guys. I do appreciate it very much. This is my winter project along with rebuilding the transmission and paint and............ it never seems to stop.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:50 PM
kwplot34
Racer

Question. these units come with 1 O2 sensor. How well does this work if you have duel exhaust?
Old 11-26-2014, 11:40 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by kwplot34
Question. these units come with 1 O2 sensor. How well does this work if you have duel exhaust?
They average off one cylinder bank and hope the other is close. It's not bad, as they usually are.

In a perfect world, every cylinder would be individually monitored...
Old 11-27-2014, 08:13 AM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by Shark Racer
They average off one cylinder bank and hope the other is close. It's not bad, as they usually are.

In a perfect world, every cylinder would be individually monitored...
It's kinda scary how uneven AFR is between cylinders, even with EFI. I have a wide band in each header. The EFI uses the lean bank (rather run a little rich than lean).

At idle I see a 0.5 ratio difference. 14:1 vs 14.5-14.6:1. It evens out at cruise, about 0.2 difference.

But I'm only measuring each bank. I'm sure I still have individual cylinders with even larger differences.
Old 11-27-2014, 11:23 AM
kwplot34
Racer

It probably not possible to run 2 O2 sensors since I have not seen it mentioned in the instructions for these units, I have been reading about them online. If you only run 1 O2 sensor which bank should you put it on, or does it matter?
Old 11-27-2014, 12:50 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

It probably not possible to run 2 O2 sensors since I have not seen it mentioned in the instructions for these units,
The Holley Dominator EFI can read 2 O2 sensors. You can then tell it to use either one, or use the average.
Old 11-27-2014, 01:59 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

It probably not possible to run 2 O2 sensors since I have not seen it mentioned in the instructions for these units, I have been reading about them online. If you only run 1 O2 sensor which bank should you put it on, or does it matter?
I'd put it on the bank with the leaner reading, hoping for some safety.

Originally Posted by zwede
The Holley Dominator EFI can read 2 O2 sensors. You can then tell it to use either one, or use the average.
Awesome.

With MPFI, that would definitely be best. With TBI, I can't imagine the computer could compensate well enough as there really isn't a lot of control over which injector goes to which bank.
Old 01-09-2015, 04:31 PM
moonsteel
Holley HP EFI w/TPI
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm using the HP EFI TPI kit.
https://www.holley.com/products/fuel.../parts/550-601
Old 01-09-2015, 05:06 PM
jimvette999
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

I am going to put fuel injection on my motor a 327 mild build somewhere in the 350hp range. was on line looking at all the FI kits. Holley,Edelbrock,Fast EFI, MSD all have one. Anybody have any knowledge with one of these kits? likes, dislikes. I am leaning towards the Fast EFI master kit.
I have the Holley Commander Pro and would like to switch to the Fast EFI when/if they integrate the transmission controller into the ECU. Holley has done this but I'm not planning on using Holley anymore for anything.
Old 01-10-2015, 08:42 PM
Carl in LA
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I went with the MSD Atomic system firstly because it is the only CARB approved smogger car system. The second reason I went with MSD was for a unified system including ignition controller, distributor, and of course the throttle body. So I'm all-in with MSD - even the plug wires.

So far so good. The injection delivers what you would expect... perfect cold engine performance and perfect acceleration and cruise.

Very adjustable through its handheld controller.

The install at the engine was easy... running the dedicated power and ground wires from the battery was difficult. Installing the fuel pump in the fuel tank was difficult.

I'm $3k into the system and it is worth it. I would rate it the second best mod after the 2004R four speed transmission.

Best to all...

Carl

I am going to put fuel injection on my motor a 327 mild build somewhere in the 350hp range. was on line looking at all the FI kits. Holley,Edelbrock,Fast EFI, MSD all have one. Anybody have any knowledge with one of these kits? likes, dislikes. I am leaning towards the Fast EFI master kit.
Attached Images  
Old 01-11-2015, 05:48 AM
Rotonda
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 78 Posts

Why not consider an old TPI? Especially with a 327, where you will be down a bit on torque. With good heads and an aftermarket base plate and runners you can have a very nice street machine.
Old 01-11-2015, 10:05 PM
BDoc
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you're tech saavy you might want to check out megasquirt. It's an open-source ECM and is the best buy around for the money.

Basically, you just get OEM fuel-injectors, intake manifold, sensors, fuel rail, etc, and control it with a megasquirt unit. It can also be setup to control ignition, and 1000 other things (fans, alarm...) if you're so inclined.

http://www.megamanual.com/MSFAQ.htm

With this setup you can do an EFI conversion for around $700.

Last edited by BDoc; 01-11-2015 at 10:08 PM.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:56 AM
worship79
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Tbi?

Has anyone considered a TBI system as this one? The price seems alright for an all-in package.

http://www.affordable-fuel-injection...ystem-5-9.html
Old 01-12-2015, 04:44 PM
kwplot34
Racer

There are lots of options out there to look over and read about, and i think i have looked at all of them But i have made a decision and i am going to go with the Edelbrok set up. I do not believe you can actually go wrong with any of the aftermarket units out their.
Old 01-15-2015, 11:36 AM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by Shark Racer
The TPI ECMs are frankly not that great. They require rom burners to tune (you can get re-writable flashes and memory simulators which are AWESOME from moates.net), they have 8-bit resolution for most values and use fairly archaic sensors.
There is also a company called EBL that will take a TPI ECM and modify it to allow a computer to upload the numbers from the ECM to its tuning software and allow you to then download the updated tune to the ECM. The later speed density TPI ECMS are more powerful and I think they might have 16 bit resolution but don't recall for sure. The EBL now seems to be the most popular choice for tuning a TPI ECM. My husband wants me to go to a Megasquirt ECM but I've decided to use the TPI ECM because it already has a factory tune a person can start from rather than having to come up with numbers from scratch. Also, there is a tremendous amount of info and expertise on TPI tuning readily available. PM me if you want a link to it.

Last edited by Priya; 01-15-2015 at 11:38 AM.

Quick Reply: switching to FI