C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

switching to FI

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 02:13 PM
kwplot34
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default switching to FI

I am going to put fuel injection on my motor a 327 mild build somewhere in the 350hp range. was on line looking at all the FI kits. Holley,Edelbrock,Fast EFI, MSD all have one. Anybody have any knowledge with one of these kits? likes, dislikes. I am leaning towards the Fast EFI master kit.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:20 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

I'm running the Holley HP system.

Pros:
Very expandable (can handle boost, nitrous, etc)
Good data logging capability
Has some features that are usually only found on pro-systems, like configurable injector end angle and individual cylinder tuning.
Solid. Haven't run into any weird behavior.

Cons:
Laptop GUI is so-so. Doesn't follow any known UI design rules.
Laptop GUI requires windows. Sucks as I'm on Linux so I have to keep a windows virtual machine around just for this one application.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:26 PM
kwplot34
Racer

are you running multi port or TBI? i am going to use one of the TBI set ups.
Old 11-24-2014, 03:24 PM
burners
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

I'm running the Holley Commander 950 port EFI on my Vette and the Holley HP TBI on my supercharged station wagon. I'll echo what zwede said and add that the self tuning feature on the HP system is nice. I chose their older TBI because it was low profile enough to fit under a stock hood. The new terminator throttle bodies are taller but not any more than the Commander TB so it should fit under the hood of a Vette provided you don't have a crazy tall intake manifold.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:46 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by kwplot34
I am going to put fuel injection on my motor a 327 mild build somewhere in the 350hp range. was on line looking at all the FI kits. Holley,Edelbrock,Fast EFI, MSD all have one. Anybody have any knowledge with one of these kits? likes, dislikes. I am leaning towards the Fast EFI master kit.
I have been running the FAST EZ-EFI version 1 for over 4yrs now, absolutely no issues. I love it. I started a long thread about it here:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-this-yet.html

If you have any questions about it, let me know.

Old 11-24-2014, 04:49 PM
kwplot34
Racer

Originally Posted by burners
I'm running the Holley Commander 950 port EFI on my Vette and the Holley HP TBI on my supercharged station wagon. I'll echo what zwede said and add that the self tuning feature on the HP system is nice. I chose their older TBI because it was low profile enough to fit under a stock hood. The new terminator throttle bodies are taller but not any more than the Commander TB so it should fit under the hood of a Vette provided you don't have a crazy tall intake manifold.
Thank you for the input, hood clearance should not be a problem im installing this in my old truck, lots off room under there. This motor will not have any power adders
Old 11-24-2014, 04:50 PM
kwplot34
Racer

Originally Posted by 7t2vette
I have been running the FAST EZ-EFI version 1 for over 4yrs now, absolutely no issues. I love it. I started a long thread about it here:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-this-yet.html

If you have any questions about it, let me know.

Thanks i will go read your thread
Old 11-24-2014, 05:18 PM
MrForce
Pro

St. Jude Donor '11, '14

Default Holley install

We installed a Holley HP TBI system on a customers 72 with a ZZ3 crate engine. There was a base curve available that was very close and things could not have gone smoother.

Rob
Old 11-24-2014, 06:00 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Even tho FAST is literally just minutes from my door, assuming TB height doesn't pose an issue (going on Strip Dom intake w/L88 CAI hood) I'm leaning pretty heavily towards Holley's Terminator EFI for my 427 redux. Supports 250 to 600 HP out of the box, self learning, and can be readily updated to HP spec ECU software via download if desired. Make mine Hard Core Gray. My $.02

Old 11-24-2014, 06:04 PM
Kacyc3
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 158 Posts

Holley Commander 950 on my vette and my friend has Holley HP his Malibu,
the HP is nice and the warning sensors of the HP helped us figure out what was going on with his car when it was missing on the top end.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:53 PM
zwede
Race Director

are you running multi port or TBI? i am going to use one of the TBI set ups.
Mine is MPFI.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:23 PM
kwplot34
Racer

nice looking set ups you guys have there. any body also using the ECU for timing control, i have read through the Holley instructions and FAST instructions that you can use the ECU for timing control even with an HEI ignition
Old 11-24-2014, 08:30 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 764 Posts

Default I'm using FAST EZ EFI 2.0 ....

on my RamJet 350. It's fantastic.

Whatever product decide on; I would recommend one of the self-learning systems.

My RamJet came with a GM MEFI-3 Controller.....and while it ran fine, it provided no controls, and was not self learning, and did not even come with an O2 sensor.

I then went to a GM 730 ECM and burned my own chips. While that was fun for a while and I learned a lot but wiring it in myself, and it ran ok, it NEVER ran as well as it does now on the FAST EZ EFI 2.0.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:50 PM
zwede
Race Director

nice looking set ups you guys have there. any body also using the ECU for timing control, i have read through the Holley instructions and FAST instructions that you can use the ECU for timing control even with an HEI ignition
Yes, I'm running timing control. You can do it the easy way and have it control a 7 or 8 pin HEI. I went a more esoteric route:

4-magnet crank trigger (with hall effect sensor) goes to the ECU.

Single pulse hall effect sensor in the distributor does cam sync

ECU triggers a CDI box.

This gives me timing control and also sequential injection where the ECU triggers each injector right before the valve opens. Makes for smoother running (especially idle) and keeps the valves cleaner as the raw fuel boils off the closed valve (prevents carbon buildup).
Old 11-24-2014, 11:40 PM
kwplot34
Racer

Great information guys I appreciate it. Now to decide on one and pull the trigger or pull the credit card out , lol. I like the idea of timing control. It looks like most of them are self learning also.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:55 PM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 312 Posts

Since it is a Truck and most Trucks love Torque You might consider using a C4 TPI intake and then run it with what ever ECM is you favorite. Your 327 is right in the peak range for one of the TPI's as well.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:13 PM
kwplot34
Racer

Originally Posted by Gale Banks 80'
Since it is a Truck and most Trucks love Torque You might consider using a C4 TPI intake and then run it with what ever ECM is you favorite. Your 327 is right in the peak range for one of the TPI's as well.
Are you talking about an ECM out of a car? or an aftermarket ECM? Fuel injection is a new venture for me so i am not familiar with all the ins and outs

Get notified of new replies

To switching to FI

Old 11-25-2014, 09:26 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Gale Banks 80'
Are you talking about an ECM out of a car? or an aftermarket ECM? Fuel injection is a new venture for me so i am not familiar with all the ins and outs
Any ECM. At the end of the day, an ECM is just basically trying to solve the ideal gas law (for VE/Speed Density). It's a bit easier math for MAF because you're actually measuring volume of air through the MAF.

At any rate, the ECM takes the MAF transfer function or VE table and uses it to determine how long to keep the injectors open based on injector size and environmental data (ambient temperature, pressure).

It doesn't really care what intake manifold you have, where the throttle body is, etc (though those things will undoubtedly impact the tuning process).

The TPI ECMs are frankly not that great. They require rom burners to tune (you can get re-writable flashes and memory simulators which are AWESOME from moates.net), they have 8-bit resolution for most values and use fairly archaic sensors. There are a number of companies that sell kits to wire up your own ECM to a factory TPI setup. FAST EZ-EFI is one kit that does so., and that kit will reference off of a wideband sensor which will allow the system to self-tune outside of the stoichiometric range (meaning you can command leaner than stoich cruise AFRs as well as tune WOT on the fly).
Old 11-26-2014, 06:40 AM
ssenay72
Racer

I put the holley terminator on my zz383 in my 75. Worked great, very easy to install and setup. I have the Holley Multi port HP system in my 69 Camaro, also what a huge difference and love that too. In the works on putting a fast xfi multi port in my 81 Camaro but haven't started that yet. Ive been told the fast software is a little easier and better to use. Are you planning on having the ecu control your timing also?

Last edited by ssenay72; 11-26-2014 at 06:42 AM.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:10 AM
Jamess411
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I went the Holley HP route because I am using 8 injectors on top of a blower and adding meth under boost. Lots of work but it looks really cool.

Quick Reply: switching to FI