C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

82 Brake issue??

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 03:58 AM
alconk
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 82 Brake issue??

Ok guys I need help trying to find out why my brakes are jacked up. In the summer I replaced all 4 calipers and new pads along with brake hoses to the hard lines. The booster and M/C were replaced last year. the problem is I never know what's going to happen when I depress the brakes, it's so unpredictable. It always whats to pull to the right and badly only if you jab the brakes hard. So lat weekend I decided to do some emergency stops that I have never performed before and the front right wheel locked up the first time then on the 2nd attempt and 3rd both front wheels locked up but only after the right locked up first. It seems that the rear is not doing anything. Shouldn't it squat down equally if all 4 are grabbing?? I don't believe there is any air in the system as I have a hard pedal and have bled the system many times. I thought I had maybe a bad proportional valve but after reading up this car has a distribution block that applies pressure evenly so who knows but I hate it. Oh and the brakes are super touchy, just barely touch them and it throws you. Also on that right front brake it seems to have more brake dust than the other 3. Please help, thanks in advance.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:41 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Assuming that all the components are operating correctly (which may not be a good assumption), I would guess air in the system….

The best way to determine what is happening at each wheel is to touch the rotor carefully at each wheel to determine how hot each rotor is after a series of hard braking-better yet compare rotor temps with an IR thermometer. The fronts will be hotter than the rears obviously but the rears should have good temp since the C3's have big rear rotors and a 4 piston caliper like the fronts and the C3's have a rear weight bias for the SB engines.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:47 PM
alconk
Melting Slicks

Ok I can do that but then what?
Old 11-25-2014, 01:15 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Originally Posted by alconk
Ok I can do that but then what?
Bleed all the brakes again thoroughly…start with the farthest caliper from the master cylinder-passenger side rear, then drivers side rear, front pass and last, front drivers side. Sounds like air in the system is causing uneven braking caliper pressure BUT I am assuming you have the correct master cylinder for the car and the correct power booster. I have read about folks changing the power brake booster and it not being correct for the car causing sensitive brake issues.

A poorly bench bled master cylinder before it was installed can also play havoc in a brake system….

Last edited by jb78L-82; 11-26-2014 at 06:55 AM.
Old 11-26-2014, 03:22 AM
alconk
Melting Slicks

I don't remember where I got the booster from except it was off the net and the M/C came from one of the vendors here so I know that one is correct. The booster looked identical from the original but probably doesn't mean anything. Well I will try that again but that might be awhile but thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To 82 Brake issue??

Quick Reply: 82 Brake issue??