C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brake booster push rod adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 03:00 PM
greyghost79
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default brake booster push rod adjustment

I'm installing a new master cylinder soon on my '79. If it becomes necessary, how do I adjust the brake booster push rod?
Old 11-25-2014, 05:06 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

No adjustment on those - if it's too big, cut it down to size. If it's too small, buy a longer one.
Old 11-25-2014, 05:55 PM
74modified
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

For the rod going into the back of the master cylinder, it has a small amount of adjustment. The pushrod that actuates the master cylinder must be properly adjusted. There should only be a slight clearance between the booster pushrod and the master cylinder push rod. If it pushes on the master cylinder when bolted together, it will preload the master cylinder. This could cause the system to build pressure - that is not released - and the system could eventually lock the wheels. Too much clearance will cause excessive freeplay in the pedal. You can measure it if you have the tools, but I just usually move it out until I feel resistance, then turn it back in a tad.

Last edited by 74modified; 11-25-2014 at 05:59 PM.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:47 PM
greyghost79
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 74modified
For the rod going into the back of the master cylinder, it has a small amount of adjustment. The pushrod that actuates the master cylinder must be properly adjusted. There should only be a slight clearance between the booster pushrod and the master cylinder push rod. If it pushes on the master cylinder when bolted together, it will preload the master cylinder. This could cause the system to build pressure - that is not released - and the system could eventually lock the wheels. Too much clearance will cause excessive freeplay in the pedal. You can measure it if you have the tools, but I just usually move it out until I feel resistance, then turn it back in a tad.

OK...... BUT........... HOW do I turn it out just a "BIT" ???
Old 11-25-2014, 06:59 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

There is NO adjustment on the booster rod in the booster you have for your car. The earlier design DID have an adjustment. But yours is what it is....and that is assuming that the rod is the correct length .

DUB
Old 11-25-2014, 09:28 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

DUB is right - 77(I believe) and above is a non-adjustable push rod. 78 for sure - mine is one of them. It's like a 1/4" thick rod with a ball-tip and maybe 1/8" OD on the flat side. Ball-tip goes towards master cylinder.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:14 PM
greyghost79
Burning Brakes

Hmmmm...... ok.......... so if I install the master cylinder and the push rod is too long.......... and then the brakes lock up........... uh, what's the solution ???
Old 11-25-2014, 10:36 PM
74modified
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

OK guys, you got me - I wasn't thinking about the later models (even though that is what he asked). All the C3s I have worked on had the adjustment. I have seen (on other cars) the wrong rod setup happen when swapping in a new master. You should be able to tell if the rod is too long when you install the master.
http://priorautomotive.com.c1.previe...s_PushRods.htm
Old 11-26-2014, 07:26 AM
greyghost79
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 74modified
OK guys, you got me - I wasn't thinking about the later models (even though that is what he asked). All the C3s I have worked on had the adjustment. I have seen (on other cars) the wrong rod setup happen when swapping in a new master. You should be able to tell if the rod is too long when you install the master.
http://priorautomotive.com.c1.previe...s_PushRods.htm

ok, thx
Old 11-26-2014, 08:06 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by greyghost79
Hmmmm...ok...so if I install the master cylinder and the push rod is too long...and then the brakes lock up...uh, what's the solution?...
Getting the correct master cylinder for your car.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:46 AM
greyghost79
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Getting the correct master cylinder for your car.

I've got one on order BUT the one on the car is not the original....... so I don't know if it was "the correct one" when it was installed... therefore it "may" have been adjusted at that time and "may" have to be adjusted again on my install of the "correct" master cylinder... I guess I will find out when I get my cylinder .....
Old 11-26-2014, 06:44 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Posting photos of the booster where the master cylinder attaches showing the rod and the backside of the mater cylinder would be great help. We can not see what you have...so it is hard to tell you any more.

DUB
Old 11-26-2014, 06:55 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Booster and master should be a matched set. If you have a late master you need a late booster, vice versa.

If you have no idea, I'd get a matched set for your car. Bleeding master is pretty easy.

Get notified of new replies

To brake booster push rod adjustment

Quick Reply: brake booster push rod adjustment