C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horn Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 11:51 PM
xDubzx
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horn Not Working

1977 corvette. Press the steering wheel button and nothing at all. So I figured ok let me look under the dash. Under my steering wheel someone rigged up 2 wires connecting all the way to the 2 horns itself under the bumper. So Its been broken for some time. Took apart the steering wheel. The little spring metal contact fell down but I looked up how to put the button back together perfectly I don't think that's bad at all nothing's loose there. Press the horn again and the button under the steering wheel for it... Nothing. Got a new relay and put it in... Still nothing. Checked all the wires and even connecting where the. 1 wire between the horns was split so I'm not 100% positive where it goes. Tested everything cept testing the horns themselves.

Can someone take a picture of the wires going from between the 2 horns and where it is started behind the headlight area was cut there. I need some reference I can't find any pictures anywhere
Old 11-26-2014, 09:59 AM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,246 Likes on 966 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Not a photo but this might help.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:43 AM
thegazman
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default thegazman

I had a similar problem on my 79. Ultimately, after a lot of tinkering I cleaned the horn contacts under the horn button and solved the problem. Use a small screwdriver to complete contact with the horn disassembled to determine if it's a contact problem. A lot of crude those contacts over 30 years.
Old 11-26-2014, 02:11 PM
SteveTheCorvette
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with thegazman, but you should bench test the horns themselves as they can go bad fairly easily with age.
Old 11-26-2014, 02:37 PM
Jartanyon
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by thegazman
I had a similar problem on my 79. Ultimately, after a lot of tinkering I cleaned the horn contacts under the horn button and solved the problem. Use a small screwdriver to complete contact with the horn disassembled to determine if it's a contact problem. A lot of crude those contacts over 30 years.
+1
Old 11-27-2014, 01:39 AM
xDubzx
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thegazman
A lot of crude those contacts over 30 years.
Ok I'll try that and look at the diagram too since the car hasn't really been treated with the attention it should have. It's only been sitting indoors so there's no rust on any contacts. Just found mice remnants but found no damage so far

Get notified of new replies

To Horn Not Working

Quick Reply: Horn Not Working