C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo 400 trans question---

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 03:46 PM
Playswithcars
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Turbo 400 trans question---

Can anyone tell me how much ATF if any comes out of the trans when the modulator valve is removed from the case? Trans is from a 1977.

Thanks,

Bob
Old 11-28-2014, 05:53 PM
C2C3PO
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not much at all. Unless you do it when the tranny is warm/hot or you've slightly overfilled the transmission ( check the dipstick) you might see 1/6 cup maybe at most .
If you're concerned, drive the passenger side of the vehicle up on a block of wood and that slight angle will likely be enough to compensate for any spillage.
Old 11-28-2014, 06:16 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,155 Likes on 2,728 Posts

Rookie question: Would it be a good thing to install an adjustable modulator valve?
Old 11-28-2014, 07:13 PM
C2C3PO
Instructor

Depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Are you wanting to adjust the shift points to match a different RPM? That would be the only possible benefit I could see to using one.
Old 12-06-2014, 09:36 AM
Playswithcars
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Turbo 400 trans question---

Originally Posted by C2C3PO
Not much at all. Unless you do it when the tranny is warm/hot or you've slightly overfilled the transmission ( check the dipstick) you might see 1/6 cup maybe at most .
If you're concerned, drive the passenger side of the vehicle up on a block of wood and that slight angle will likely be enough to compensate for any spillage.
Belated thanks for the info. When I removed the modulator, about 2 1/2 cups of fluid poured out. Since someone previously replaced the dipstick tube and stick, I'm not sure of the full line. It had been reading at the full line when hot. The modulator was pulled when the trans was cold, so I refilled the trans with the amount the spilled out. Do you recommend to pull the modulator again when trans is cold and let the fluid seek it's level?

Thanks, Bob
Old 12-06-2014, 10:28 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,155 Likes on 2,728 Posts

I can't answer your question.....but I would advise you to scribe a new line on the dipstick once you are sure that you have the correct amount of fluid in the case.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:29 AM
C2C3PO
Instructor

No I think you're fine since transmission fluid levels do fluctuate quite a bit depending on temp - the 2+ cups you mentioned won't be an issue. Better to have a tad too much than too little.

Get notified of new replies

To Turbo 400 trans question---

Quick Reply: Turbo 400 trans question---