C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

KBS paint for my frame?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 12:32 AM
mac79vette
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default KBS paint for my frame?

I just had my frame sandblasted and I was going to use a paint that I had used before on a different project that is from Summit Racing that is a two part paint. I tried to order it but apparently Summit, Eastwood and other places can no longer ship these type of paints to Utah. I went to two different local paint shops and asked what they recommended and both stated the KBS rustseal paint. I really wanted to get it painted this weekend as it may be the last warm weekend for the winter and I have extra time off so I got it. Well it takes a while to dry so I was only able to paint two coats on one side and will have to paint the other side tomorrow.
Here is my question, has any one else used the KBS paint and what results did you get. I am now worried because I was reading some stuff online that it fades. I also see there is a different KBS paint called blacktop. Should this go over the rust seal? I am hoping that just two coats of the KBS rustseal will be good for a daily driver as stated by the paint supply shops.
Any advice is appreciated.
Old 11-29-2014, 02:19 AM
Rob vette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello mac 79 vette I have used the kbs rust seal satin black on my frame / inner guards /and was more than happy with the result I sprayed 2 coats it looks glossy straight from the gun but after it drys it goes to a satin finish and I just used the rust seal by it self with out the black top and no fading after 12 months.
Old 11-29-2014, 09:32 PM
CF6873
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob vette
Hello mac 79 vette I have used the kbs rust seal satin black on my frame / inner guards /and was more than happy with the result I sprayed 2 coats it looks glossy straight from the gun but after it drys it goes to a satin finish and I just used the rust seal by it self with out the black top and no fading after 12 months.
Most of these type of rust seal paints will fade when exposed to UV light.
Chances are that a frame won't see much of that. That said you can still topcoat it with satin to make sure it stays the same as you want it.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:07 PM
70LQ4
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts

Use a product called Rust Bullet , this stuff really sticks to Metal and everything else . The only downside to it is , it only comes in silver. I just topcoat it with Eastwoods Extreme Chassis Black . Go to Rust Bullets website it is some really amazing stuff. Whatever You do do not use POR 15 , biggest waste of Money I ever did. Stan
Old 11-29-2014, 11:36 PM
Dirk76
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 70LQ4
Use a product called Rust Bullet , this stuff really sticks to Metal and everything else . The only downside to it is , it only comes in silver. I just topcoat it with Eastwoods Extreme Chassis Black . Go to Rust Bullets website it is some really amazing stuff. Whatever You do do not use POR 15 , biggest waste of Money I ever did. Stan
I thought ( after reading on here) that POR15 was the way to go, if prepped properly.
Old 11-30-2014, 12:05 AM
70LQ4
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirk76
I thought ( after reading on here) that POR15 was the way to go, if prepped properly.
If Your Car is gonna be a Garage Queen POR15 will hold up just fine , and so will the stuff in a rattle can. But if You are going to drive it especially in the rain or Snow it will NOT hold up.
I spent a considerable amount of Money along with a lot of My time coating the Frame of My then new 2002 Silverado , I followed the directions to the T , used the Marine clean , and Metalready . I even cleaned with Metalready and wire brushed everything again 2 years later and re-coated with POR15. And yes I top coated it with POR top coat in satin black .
I live in the Rustbelt and this Truck is My daily driver .It held up fine for about 5 Years then it just started to peal ,now Rust is everywhere POR does not stick to anything but Hands and Cement. The coating is very tough , but once it gets a chip Water and Salt get under it and the Rust will undermine it like Powder coat on cheap lawn furniture. You can grab a loose end and literally pull the stuff off in sheets. The only thing that I would ever use this product on is to waterproof a concrete block wall .

Get notified of new replies

To KBS paint for my frame?

Quick Reply: KBS paint for my frame?